Take notes LG, the Moto Z is where modularity really at!

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Not trying to step on anyone's nerves here. But the Moto Z's implementation is what modularity really is. And how gracefully they've done it. It's a lesson for all OEMS especially LG.

The Moto Z doesn't provide features stripped off from a phone in forms of modules. It provides "extra" features like projecting the screen, becoming a speaker, becoming a new design, becoming battery case just to name a few.

I think lenovo really hit it out of the park here. Great idea and great execution! Fully baked product is what it is!

LG should've waited. And tried harder before rushing out the G5.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not trying to step on anyone's nerves here. But the Moto Z's implementation is what modularity really is. And how gracefully they've done it. It's a lesson for all OEMS especially LG.

The Moto Z doesn't provide features stripped off from a phone in forms of modules. It provides "extra" features like projecting the screen, becoming a speaker, becoming a new design, becoming battery case just to name a few.

I think lenovo really hit it out of the park here. Great idea and great execution! Fully baked product is what it is!

No head phone jack.....total bull..

Moto is garbage right now. I've had Moto since before smart phones and I jumped from Moto to the G5. They were becoming promising when Google picked them up but suck since Lenovo. The phones lag after a short while and Lenovo broke a few promises on upgrading to Marshmallow and all they offered as a consolation was a hundred dollars off the purchase of a Turbo 2 if purchased direct.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

In terms of modules, Moto is doing it better than LG.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well the concept looks good so we will have to wait and see how it pans out, but I find myself hard pressed to jump back to Moto

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
No head phone jack.....total bull..

Moto is garbage right now. I've had Moto since before smart phones and I jumped from Moto to the G5. They were becoming promising when Google picked them up but suck since Lenovo. The phones lag after a short while and Lenovo broke a few promises on upgrading to Marshmallow and all they offered as a consolation was a hundred dollars off the purchase of a Turbo 2 if purchased direct.

Looks like they're the only ones daring enough to take on this new idea with the brains and muscles to execute it as well.

All phones are at one side. And the Moto Z is on the other. There's nothing like a Moto Z. No LG isn't like the Moto Z. They both differ in their philosophy as well as implementation.

Kevin Hill2

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I could care less about add-on modules, That had nothing to do with my decision to buy the LG G5, why would I want something else to pack around. While I think it is Kinda cool you can add things to your phone, it would lose it's apeal fast, no matter how fast and easy they make it. Do you still pack around a Camera or do you just use your phone? Do you still use a day planner or do you use your phone? I-pod or phone? It is pretty plain to me all the Modules would be sitting in a drawer after a while, right next to your point and shoot camera and i-pod.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree.

Although the rest of the phone isn't very far away from LG either.

Motorola software support sucks....take it from someone who was part of their Beta testing team. They also take forever to provide updates if at all and on phones that are not that old. The Motorola support forum used to be full of positive people.....this is no longer true. Lenovo has killed it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I could care less about add-on modules, That had nothing to do with my decision to buy the LG G5, why would I want something else to pack around. While I think it is Kinda cool you can add things to your phone, it would lose it's apeal fast, no matter how fast and easy they make it. Do you still pack around a Camera or do you just use your phone? Do you still use a day planner or do you use your phone? I-pod or phone? It is pretty plain to me all the Modules would be sitting in a drawer after a while, right next to your point and shoot camera and i-pod.

Agreed....who the hell needs a projector on a phone? Nothing but a gimmick. So they make a phone so thin that it loses the headphone jack and then fatten it up with modules. And to pretend that you will be able to use the same modules for future models is preposterous. Maybe for 1, 2 or 3 generations if it's successful, but at some point the host size and configuration will change.

Last edited:

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Their battery module would be useful. I wish LG would make one. I dont want to carry a spare battery around, and have to reboot every time I need to switch, plus worry about charging both every night.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Their battery module would be useful. I wish LG would make one. I dont want to carry a spare battery around, and have to reboot every time I need to switch, plus worry about charging both every night.

I don't carry the spare battery around unless I'm gong to and from somewhere like work and carry a back pack. Rarely do I have to charge both everynight.

By the way the Z is. 2200 battery

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is odd to see people hating on the mods for the G5 when that was its nitch -- but now that Moto is doing it they don't matter now? Just odd to see such a swing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It is odd to see people hating on the mods for the G5 when that was its nitch -- but now that Moto is doing it they don't matter now? Just odd to see such a swing.

So far it looks like Moto executed on the idea better - but that doesn't mean Modules are a good thing. As soon as they stop taking best in class tech out of the phone in order to put it in a module and instead deliver the knock out and then add in some modules that add functionality that is IMPOSSIBLE to do in a smartphone without modules, then I'll stop my "hate" of this weak, cop-out strategy. It's differentiation for Moto, that's what makes it important. Not that it's a good idea. It's objectively worse to have a half cracked phone that requires modules to get you the best experience than to have an award winning phone that beats the pants off of the competition, but lacks modules.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't carry the spare battery around unless I'm gong to and from somewhere like work and carry a back pack. Rarely do I have to charge both everynight.

By the way the Z is. 2200 battery

The base Z is 2600. The Z Force is 3500.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Agreed....who the hell needs a projector on a phone? Nothing but a gimmick. So they make a phone so thin that it loses the headphone jack and then fatten it up with modules. And to pretend that you will be able to use the same modules for future models is preposterous. Maybe for 1, 2 or 3 generations if it's successful, but at some point the host size and configuration will change.

Same reply to a G5 owner then..

Who the hell needs... <insert LG Friend here>?