06-13-2016 11:15 AM
43 12
tools
    Not trying to step on anyone's nerves here. But the Moto Z's implementation is what modularity really is. And how gracefully they've done it. It's a lesson for all OEMS especially LG.

The Moto Z doesn't provide features stripped off from a phone in forms of modules. It provides "extra" features like projecting the screen, becoming a speaker, becoming a new design, becoming battery case just to name a few.

I think lenovo really hit it out of the park here. Great idea and great execution! Fully baked product is what it is!

LG should've waited. And tried harder before rushing out the G5.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-09-2016 04:59 PM
    I agree. They nailed it. If only it had a wide angle camera. I really enjoyed my Droid Turbo.
    06-09-2016 05:26 PM
    looks like that Motorola credit line I've had for years is finally about to get some use.
    06-09-2016 06:10 PM
    Not trying to step on anyone's nerves here. But the Moto Z's implementation is what modularity really is. And how gracefully they've done it. It's a lesson for all OEMS especially LG.

The Moto Z doesn't provide features stripped off from a phone in forms of modules. It provides "extra" features like projecting the screen, becoming a speaker, becoming a new design, becoming battery case just to name a few.

I think lenovo really hit it out of the park here. Great idea and great execution! Fully baked product is what it is!

No head phone jack.....total bull..

Moto is garbage right now. I've had Moto since before smart phones and I jumped from Moto to the G5. They were becoming promising when Google picked them up but suck since Lenovo. The phones lag after a short while and Lenovo broke a few promises on upgrading to Marshmallow and all they offered as a consolation was a hundred dollars off the purchase of a Turbo 2 if purchased direct.

06-09-2016 07:56 PM

In terms of modules, Moto is doing it better than LG.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    06-09-2016 09:07 PM
    Well the concept looks good so we will have to wait and see how it pans out, but I find myself hard pressed to jump back to Moto

06-09-2016 10:35 PM
    In terms of modules, Moto is doing it better than LG.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    I agree.

Although the rest of the phone isn't very far away from LG either.

06-10-2016 09:43 AM
    No head phone jack.....total bull..

Moto is garbage right now. I've had Moto since before smart phones and I jumped from Moto to the G5. They were becoming promising when Google picked them up but suck since Lenovo. The phones lag after a short while and Lenovo broke a few promises on upgrading to Marshmallow and all they offered as a consolation was a hundred dollars off the purchase of a Turbo 2 if purchased direct.

Looks like they're the only ones daring enough to take on this new idea with the brains and muscles to execute it as well.

All phones are at one side. And the Moto Z is on the other. There's nothing like a Moto Z. No LG isn't like the Moto Z. They both differ in their philosophy as well as implementation.

06-10-2016 09:45 AM
    It comes with an adapter for the USB-C to accept a regular headphone jack.
    06-10-2016 10:51 AM
    I could care less about add-on modules, That had nothing to do with my decision to buy the LG G5, why would I want something else to pack around. While I think it is Kinda cool you can add things to your phone, it would lose it's apeal fast, no matter how fast and easy they make it. Do you still pack around a Camera or do you just use your phone? Do you still use a day planner or do you use your phone? I-pod or phone? It is pretty plain to me all the Modules would be sitting in a drawer after a while, right next to your point and shoot camera and i-pod.
    mustang8918, ibmbc and Bucky Cee like this.
    06-10-2016 10:51 AM
    I agree.

Although the rest of the phone isn't very far away from LG either.

Motorola software support sucks....take it from someone who was part of their Beta testing team. They also take forever to provide updates if at all and on phones that are not that old. The Motorola support forum used to be full of positive people.....this is no longer true. Lenovo has killed it.

06-10-2016 11:09 AM
    I could care less about add-on modules, That had nothing to do with my decision to buy the LG G5, why would I want something else to pack around. While I think it is Kinda cool you can add things to your phone, it would lose it's apeal fast, no matter how fast and easy they make it. Do you still pack around a Camera or do you just use your phone? Do you still use a day planner or do you use your phone? I-pod or phone? It is pretty plain to me all the Modules would be sitting in a drawer after a while, right next to your point and shoot camera and i-pod.
    Agreed....who the hell needs a projector on a phone? Nothing but a gimmick. So they make a phone so thin that it loses the headphone jack and then fatten it up with modules. And to pretend that you will be able to use the same modules for future models is preposterous. Maybe for 1, 2 or 3 generations if it's successful, but at some point the host size and configuration will change.

06-10-2016 11:19 AM
    Their battery module would be useful. I wish LG would make one. I dont want to carry a spare battery around, and have to reboot every time I need to switch, plus worry about charging both every night.
    06-10-2016 02:06 PM
    Their battery module would be useful. I wish LG would make one. I dont want to carry a spare battery around, and have to reboot every time I need to switch, plus worry about charging both every night.
    I don't carry the spare battery around unless I'm gong to and from somewhere like work and carry a back pack. Rarely do I have to charge both everynight.

By the way the Z is. 2200 battery

jek48 likes this.
    06-10-2016 02:30 PM
    It is odd to see people hating on the mods for the G5 when that was its nitch -- but now that Moto is doing it they don't matter now? Just odd to see such a swing.
    gendo667 and ibmbc like this.
    06-10-2016 02:51 PM
    It is odd to see people hating on the mods for the G5 when that was its nitch -- but now that Moto is doing it they don't matter now? Just odd to see such a swing.
    So far it looks like Moto executed on the idea better - but that doesn't mean Modules are a good thing. As soon as they stop taking best in class tech out of the phone in order to put it in a module and instead deliver the knock out and then add in some modules that add functionality that is IMPOSSIBLE to do in a smartphone without modules, then I'll stop my "hate" of this weak, cop-out strategy. It's differentiation for Moto, that's what makes it important. Not that it's a good idea. It's objectively worse to have a half cracked phone that requires modules to get you the best experience than to have an award winning phone that beats the pants off of the competition, but lacks modules.
    Almeuit and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-10-2016 02:54 PM
    I don't carry the spare battery around unless I'm gong to and from somewhere like work and carry a back pack. Rarely do I have to charge both everynight.

By the way the Z is. 2200 battery

The base Z is 2600. The Z Force is 3500.
    06-10-2016 03:21 PM
    The Incipio offGRID Motomod gives an extra 2220 mAh.
    06-10-2016 03:50 PM
    Has anyone released a LG g5 battery case or extended battery?
    06-10-2016 03:51 PM
    Agreed....who the hell needs a projector on a phone? Nothing but a gimmick. So they make a phone so thin that it loses the headphone jack and then fatten it up with modules. And to pretend that you will be able to use the same modules for future models is preposterous. Maybe for 1, 2 or 3 generations if it's successful, but at some point the host size and configuration will change.

Same reply to a G5 owner then..

Who the hell needs... <insert LG Friend here>?
    Aquila likes this.
    06-10-2016 03:53 PM
    I'm aware of that....thanks

06-10-2016 08:23 PM
    Same reply to a G5 owner then..

Who the hell needs... <insert LG Friend here>?
    I'm talking about a projector in particular..... I didn't buy the G5 for its friends and by the way the friends aren't all modular and can be used with other phones besides the G5 so that's the difference.

06-10-2016 08:28 PM
    I think this thread really belongs in the Moto section.

06-10-2016 08:28 PM
    I have comments on the LG5 battery. But first, if anyone would care to respond to my questions on another post about video recording quality (and the audio recording that goes with it), at the following link, I'd greatly appreciate it (it's decision crunch time for me). http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...stion-ois.html

Although I like the idea of having a spare battery for special situations, I think the idea of swapping batteries more than once every couple of months is a bad idea for this phone. I think it will just cause something to break (feels like I'm tearing it apart). I wouldn't be surprise if someday LG starts advising against regular battery swapping, despite their current marketing.

I'm normally a big fan of extended batteries, but I don't think the G5 will be an easy candidate for one, with this particular modular design, unless someone comes up with a clever chin / case combination. And a battery case that plugs into the existing USB-C will make a tall phone even taller.

But here is why the battery on the G5 doesn't bother me at all. And in fact I like not carrying a boat anchor (extended battery) for the first time in a long time. Since it charges very fast, I won't hesitate to throw it on a charger for 20 minutes here and there if needed, whenever it is convenient as opposed to worrying about caring for the battery or the connector. I say misuse the heck out of it, and replace it in a year if needed. And the USB-C connector should be a lot more robust than the micro-USB. And even if something did happen, I doubt a new chin piece will be too expensive in a year. I do wish LG would have been willing to make the phone a little thicker to accommodate a bigger battery.
    06-10-2016 09:08 PM
    Forget the modules and put in a 4000 mAh battery and a headphone jack and hdmi out. #practical
    06-10-2016 09:34 PM
43 12