Is this phone receiving security updates?

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of getting the G5 but I was curious to see if it was getting security updates. Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of getting the G5 but I was curious to see if it was getting security updates. Thanks!

Yes, the LG G5 will be getting security updates. However, the frequency updates are pushed will depend on LG and the carrier. What carrier are you going to be using the G5 with?

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I will be using it with AT&T. I am looking at the RS988, it is not an ATT phone. At least I don't think it is!

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I got rid of the G5 due to lack of security updates. I had the Tmobile version and it was still on the March update. I called LG and they said Tmobile does the security updates. I called Tmobile a couple of weeks ago. I was told by a tech that they don't write the code, they just test it and push it out. They hadn't received any update from LG and none was scheduled.

paulbbp

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
It's receiving updates but slow. My patch level shows April 2016, so no May or June patches yet.

Im on At&t

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I've had both the March and April security updates since i've had the phone (In the UK though, where carriers don't bloat the phones), and I assume May is coming any day. So yes, it does get them, but obviously not as quickly as a Nexus phone would. The risks really are very small, remember security updates for Android are quite a new thing anyway.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
6-15-16 The t-mobile version is still on the March update.

As of 7-1-16, the t-mobile version is on the May Security Update.

Last edited:

lex700

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Well its now the end of june, and I have a sim-free G5 that is still running the '1st April' patch, so I'm going to say no, LG are are not living up the agreement.

Samsung on the other hand seem to be doing nicely in this regard, I hear the S7 series has had pretty much every monthly patch since launch.

Ditey1

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I just received the June security update for my LG G5 H860 on AT&T. My G5 is the unlocked Dual Sim version with AT&T Sim card and the other slot used for SD card. Love the phone! No bloatware, works great, gets updates, takes excellent pics, great battery life, etc. etc. Did I mention that it's great?! LOL

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the unlocked US version and still on April update. Going back to an S7 bought on Swappa. Much better phone IMO. Unlocked phones should get updates quicker than this. Again, LG is second fiddle.

pwaikon

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
My G5 (Europe H850 version) got software update today: v10d which includes Google's June 1st security patch.

So, yes LG G5 receives security updates. As it should, being LG's 2016 flagship.

benny13

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Not all are. I am in Canada on the Bell network and have had this phone (H831) since launch....no updates at all so far. I don't think I'll be buying another LG device after this.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
G5 with EE in the UK and I'm still only on April's update (V10C)

Sorry to hear that buddy, I would NEVER touch another EE branded phone.. they are the slowest IP in the UK for updates.. My G5 is an unlocked Vodafone, which Ive unbranded (removed VOD bloat and splash with LGUP) but the OS version is locked onto VODA server, which is fine because VOD tend to release the updates on the same day as unbranded (before EE / 3 / O2),

If EE fall to far behind, you could try trding youe EE G5 for a VODA G5 :)

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Second that on EE. I am still on April, whereas a friend of mine, also with a G5 but on Vodafone, is on the June update.