Just swapped to the G5 from the S7

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Just made the swap from the S7 to the G5 yesterday. Although I am new to Android having used Apple only until a few months ago, the G5 I really like. Still learning the phone but so far I am liking it over my S7 I had.

Ive also read some bad reviews on this phone. I hope I made the right decision. Any thoughts from anyone whos had both of these phones who knows Android by chance?

Thanks

Don

Posted via the Android Central App

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Awesome! Keep in mind that most people come to forums seeking help for problems they are having and that they are not necessarily representative of most people that own that device. Hope you enjoy!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The G5 is a wonderful experience. Plus the addition of modules (ie, battery!) is super awesome.

As the user above me stated, (some) people are more likely to post about problems, negative reviews (they want to "get it off their chest," so to speak), or "I returned my phone because X" rants than they are to post about positive reviews, happy purchasing posts, etc. Now, this doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but this is what I've seen on not only mobile forums but on reviews of attractions and restaurants. It's unfortunate because it heavily miscolours one's perceptions of whatever is being reviewed.

However, if you want to read some positive reviews, there are a bunch here about the G5! Enjoy your new phone and don't worry about the negativity. :)

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
For your comment about the reviews, the biggest review negative that isn't about style is the battery life. It just isn't as long as say the S7. When I got my phone there was a promotion for a second battery and a battery charging case which I picked up. Swapping out batteries is a breeze and gives me much longer battery life than the competition. Otherwise it is a legitimate drawback.

Other complaints are about the paint and feeling cheap, but nearly everybody puts a case on the phone so that's mute, and some build quality issues which pop up in some reviews but not others. My phone has worked perfectly and none of the reported build quality issues.

Plus I really hate face physical or capacitive buttons, I know it's silly but it's me which makes this about the only choice for me.

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I'm liking this phone a lot. I have several phones that I mess with but this one has gotten me. So far it's been solid all the way around.

nanikahakai

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Be sure to buy your insurance (outside your provider is sometimes cheaper).
My first g5 was a lemon. So bad that the provider rolled out the red carpet and gave me top plan and so much hot spot not even friends could use up in first month. Further agreed to take back@ no restock fee and provide service to my new awesome unlocked g5 I found (bundled with camera and VR) that I will be able to travel at least two continents with (has.almost every band). I have purchased all of the"friends" in bundles (so minimal cost) - not the watch- and we are having SO MUCH FUN. The CamPlus needs a little modification. I will be encouraging other. G5 owners to join me in letting LG know that the G6 MUST BE COMPATIBLE WITH ALL THE G5 FRIENDS...PLUS H2O and dirt resistant...increase the internal storage....must have adoptable memory (we're smart enough to know what to do/not do with our sd cards....(low internal storage and no adoptable is first reason ppl root) give back the battery life.... fix the camera....longer charging cable..... all this and whatever other glitches owners find for no more than an extra $50 in price..... Actually, the price should come down. Have fun. I have always found LG responsive and therefore use some of their other products.

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
I really like the G5 and for those coming from iPhones the "Home" homescreen layout is pretty similar, removing the app drawer and all. Swapping the battery out is not something i do often, but I've done it more than a few times and its great option to have. The one thing and its probably the only complaint i have, the screen brightness in auto mode tends to go a bit darker when in low light(t-mobile) G5 doesn't allow you to adjust the baseline brightness when in "auto" mode. The battery gets me.

The phone looks great and at least in my particular case, the build quality is exceptional. I like the painted primer thing people call it, i like the size, on paper you'd think the 5.3" is small but the black glass makes it look a lot bigger, nice and flat. Its an awesome device and i absolutely love the software or LG's OS.

The speaker is very nice and loud, clear in my case.
The camera shoots very nice pics also and the wide angle lens is great option to have. The selfie cam isnt as wide as maybe the S7 but works just fine. The always on display notifications are great, not as bright as the S7 but way more helpful since you get icons from all apps.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting a G5 in addition to my S7. I'm wondering how they compare? I've heard battery life is an issue for the G5, that it feels cheap and that the display is just OK. I bought an unlocked G5 on Swappa. I'm guessing it's much lighter in bloat than my ATT S7? Any other pros/cons?

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I had the S7 and personally I like the G5 better. Software seems more smooth or possibly the software layout or design if that makes sense. I've found it to be my go to phone now and I still have a S7 Edge I use for work. The G5 has been a good one. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the launcher so I use the pro version of Nova and applied a modern theme to my apps. You will like the G5. It's a mixture of Android and Apple design to me.

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Here's a couple of screen shots of my set up and app theme I found.

Attachments

• 1007.jpg
    1007.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 65

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Then a screen shot of my S7 Edge. It's Nova also with a icon app I think called modern.

Attachments

• 159.jpg
    159.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 66

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX