LG G5 Standby Time (usage)

drenco

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
So im on my 3rd charge of my new LG G5 and have previously read some people/reviews saying that the battery life of this device isn't the best but ive also read that this device is literally the best Android phone regarding standby times so coming from a Nexus 6 running Vanilla 6.0.1 Marshmallow as this phone the same resolution but the Snapdragon 810 etc i always got around 1% per hour in standby since DOZE was introduced within Android OS so its a good indication of the abilities of DOZE on vanilla OS now for the first 2 charges i used/see what effect this always on display uses which in around 8 hours it would use about 6-7% so just under 1% an hour which isn't bad considering its got the AOD activated which is supposed to use around 5% in 8 hours or so, but this 3rd charge i switched the AOD off and couldn't believe my eyes its now been 20 hours i haven't really touched the phone and its only used 3% battery which is incredible they say that this Snapdragon 820 is the best Snapdragon they've ever put out regarding performance/power usage in context to a generation and i fully agree as we know that it basically performs around the same as the Nvidia X1 which is the title holding beast in the mobile world, Well im impressed i have to say.

Last edited:

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So im on my 3rd charge of my new LG G5 and have previously read some people/reviews saying that the battery life of this device isn't the best but ive also read that this device is literally the best Android phone regarding standby times so coming from a Nexus 6 running Vanilla 6.0.1 Marshmallow as this phone the same resolution but the Snapdragon 810 etc i always got around 1% per hour in standby since DOZE was introduced within Android OS so its a good indication of the abilities of DOZE on vanilla OS now for the first 2 charges i used/see what effect this always on display uses which in around 8 hours it would use about 6-7% so just under 1% an hour which isn't bad considering its got the AOD activated which is supposed to use around 5% in 8 hours or so, but this 3rd charge i switched the AOD off and couldn't believe my eyes its now been 20 hours i haven't really touched the phone and its only used 3% battery which is incredible they say that this Snapdragon 820 is the best Snapdragon they've ever put out regarding performance/power usage in context to a generation and i fully agree as we know that it basically performs around the same as the Nvidia X1 which is the title holding beast in the mobile world, Well im impressed i have to say.
Very cool feedback, thanks!!

drenco

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
So im checking in at Exactly 36 hours standby time for the phone relatively untouched in all this time and the phone with 'Always On Display' switched off is now showing 90% battery left so the next best Android phone ive seen or heard of would net you 10 hrs standby time for around 10 % battery life so this is madness TBF so 10hrs next best Android phone compared to 36hrs LG G5 in standby for the same 10% battery usage, and bare in mind the phones i know of all have bigger battery's of between 3000-3600 mAh this LG G5 has a 2800mAh battery.

Last edited:

drenco

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
So 48hrs standby yielded 84% battery life left and 72hrs standby yielded 75% battery life left so that means at this present rate of usage for standby this phone is going to last around 12 days on standby which is outrageous for a modern day smartphone, the next closest ive seen is my Nexus 6 which would just make it into the 4th day on standby.
INTERESTINGLY as i stated in my first post we all know that the masses of journalist who have ever wrote a BS review of this device have cussed its battery life/phone largely speaking Literally i can only remember 2 reviews stating its exceptional standby time STRANGE dont you think when every new phone is scutinised about its battery life as its considered a massive factor in a potential purchase and here we are with these ridiculous stats and NO-ONE knows its virtually unmentioned anywhere, MMMMM.

Last edited:

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So 48hrs standby yielded 84% battery life left and 72hrs standby yielded 75% battery life left so that means at this present rate of usage for standby this phone is going to last around 12 days on standby which is outrageous for a modern day smartphone, the next closest ive seen is my Nexus 6 which would just make it into the 4th day on standby.
INTERESTINGLY as i stated in my first post we all know that the masses of journalist who have ever wrote a BS review of this device have cussed its battery life/phone largely speaking Literally i can only remember 2 reviews stating its exceptional standby time STRANGE dont you think when every new phone is scutinised about its battery life as its considered a massive factor in a potential purchase and here we are with these ridiculous stats and NO-ONE knows its virtually unmentioned anywhere, MMMMM.
Do you have any Apps at all running in the background? What type of network are you connected to? Wi-Fi and/or Carrier??

drenco

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Just standard apps that ive downloaded i haven't changed any settings also WiFi most of the time unless i venture out and about etc and im in the UK on the Three network 4G.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just standard apps that ive downloaded i haven't changed any settings also WiFi most of the time unless i venture out and about etc and im in the UK on the Three network 4G.
Are you running any email (eas) in the background? If so, at what frequency are they syncing?

Would love to learn more from some of your setup tips and profile!!

drenco

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Just Gmail setup on whatever the standard setting is for syncing i haven't changed anything 40% battery left just now 137hrs/5.7 days standby exactly with the odd phone call but mostly its had very little use in this time.

Last edited:

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just Gmail setup on whatever the standard setting is for syncing i haven't changed anything 40% battery left just now 137hrs/5.7 days standby exactly with the odd phone call but mostly its had very little use in this time.
Very cool and thanks for sharing.

drenco

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
So I'm at the end of my third cycle before i put it on charge again for the 4th cycle its got 25% battery left as I don't like to let my phones go much below that and it reached an incredible 155hrs 3 mins/6.45 days Standby with around 1 hr screen on time used in that time and around 2 hrs of phone calls.

Capture+_2016-10-04-12-55-37.jpg

Last edited:

Crabby Abie The Queen T-Flo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Battery of the G5 is ok for 2800mAh i don't have any gripe. Try installing Hibernation manager app, battery will last longer.

Only issue is the modules. Its like the phone version of Frankenstein.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Thx for your testing and report... Just out of interest how many apps do you have installed...?
I know that the amount of apps you have can make a difference to standby time...I'm still using HTC M8 and have a whopping 210 apps installed lol

washburn_it

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
As I wrote in other threads, after the first full charge, the battery lasted 86h (with 4h SOT, some FullHD and 4K video, some calls), then after the 2nd full charge it lasted 73h 49m (12% still available on the battery, over 4h SOT, 3h 30m of calls, some pictures).
I always keep connections turned off (Wi-Fi and mobile data), I turn them on only when I need.
During the night I always enable the "airplane mode" and the battery drain is around 1-2% in 6/7 hours.
I tell the truth....I was a bit worried about the battery lasting after reading lots of reviews that depicted the battery of the G5 as the weakness point of this phone but, at least for my "profile" of use, I think it's one of its strength point.
I never had a phone with a battery that lasted so much !
Regards,

Roberto

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
As I wrote in other threads, after the first full charge, the battery lasted 86h (with 4h SOT, some FullHD and 4K video, some calls), then after the 2nd full charge it lasted 73h 49m (12% still available on the battery, over 4h SOT, 3h 30m of calls, some pictures).
I always keep connections turned off (Wi-Fi and mobile data), I turn them on only when I need.
During the night I always enable the "airplane mode" and the battery drain is around 1-2% in 6/7 hours.
I tell the truth....I was a bit worried about the battery lasting after reading lots of reviews that depicted the battery of the G5 as the weakness point of this phone but, at least for my "profile" of use, I think it's one of its strength point.
I never had a phone with a battery that lasted so much !
Regards,

Roberto
Thanks for sharing your personal experience information washburn_it, I find your feedback to be very well reported and useful. Although my usage profile is different from yours, overall I tend to agree that this device offers solid battery performance.

Many thanks again for taking the time to share this with all other G5 owners.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
As I've said in many other posts.. People that are saying this phone's battery is not good are full of it.

I have 160+ apps installed and I shut nothing off and still get these awesome standby stats that drenco is reporting.

He's not making this stuff up. It's all true.

Battery issues my a$$.

The thing I just have to know, drenco, is how you manage to leave the phone sitting for long periods like you do.

I can't do it! I have other gadgets and still.. Like, right now I'm posting with my Nexus 9 but my G5 is right beside me. I just love this phone.

Okay! It's been long enough! I'm going to send this post so I can grab G5. 💓💕👍

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
As I've said in many other posts.. People that are saying this phone's battery is not good are full of it.

I have 160+ apps installed and I shut nothing off and still get these awesome standby stats that drenco is reporting.

Battery issues my a$$.

The thing I just have to know, drenco, is how you manage to leave the phone sitting for long periods like you do.

I can't do it! I have other gadgets and still.. Like, right now I'm posting with my Nexus 9 but my G5 is right beside me. I just love this phone.

Okay! It's been long enough! I'm going to send this post so I can grab G5. 💓💕👍
Appreciate your feedback and opinions Greedog... And yes I agree that some lay it on a little too thick and often without all the facts. I'm truly loving my G5 and that's after 2 months of regular solid use.

I've observed over the years that some folks simply get a little too carried away and personal. They typically put down others to help themselves feel better about their choices. As for me, I much prefer staying cool headed, as it helps me stay objective and I learn along the way. Cheers!!

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Norg!

Thanks so much for the positive affirmation.

Like you, I try to stay positive.

The G5 has gotten such a bad rap. And for no reason. It's truly an amazing phone... As all the flagship phones are.

I don't understand people sometimes.

You are right! People have to put other's down to justify their decisions.

I had no idea that the Samsung phones started to lag over time. None of the fanboys are sharing that fact with the rest of us.

drenco

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site

Battery issues my a$$.

Okay! It's been long enough! I'm going to send this post so I can grab G5. ������������������
Well i was back then currently was waiting on a 256gb Samsung Evo + Micro Sd card to put in the phone and with the Adoptive Storage hack i found setting up the phone for Beast mode-ing etc so i was mostly using my Nexus 6 whilst tinkering with the LG G5 and ive commented on a thread on here somewhere about the BS Lag with almost all Sammy phones it aint good believe me having owned S4,Note 3 used a Note 4 for months and countless You-tube tech channels stating/showing Lag we know by now its not the OS or chipset its the crap software implementation that Samsung uses combined with a really Lazy ethos for its customers for software/OS updates and truly horrendous audio quality regardless of format and i had to jump ship funny thing is im not just talking about Obvious Lag but the more subtle kind that most people dont seem to recognise its only when they pick up a phone with zero lag can they tell it just isn't smooth/fluid if you see what i mean.

Last edited:

washburn_it

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I never had a G2 but as for my personal experience, the battery life only depends on your "personal" use of the phone so it's not easy to give an answer.
I had other phones before my G5 (Samsung Galaxy S2 and Asus Zenfone 2 DeLuxe) but I always kept the same profile of use and the average lasting of the battery was always slightly over 48h, with the S2 (1650 mA) or with the Asus (3000 mA)...the same now with the G5 (well actually sometimes I got over 70h).
Regards,

Roberto