V10 or G5?

chesterdawg

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I got rid of my Note 3 earlier this year for the V10 and love it! Switched from Samsung since they went with sealed phones so no more changing batteries (I use a couple/day).

My wife is ready to get rid of her Note 3 after several yrs its failing. So I'm looking at the G5 & V10 for her. She is not a tech phobe like me, she just wants a good fast, responsive phone (who doesn't?).

I don't buy from ATT but it needs to be ATT compatable. If performance is similiar I'll get the cheaper. The 2nd screen and 2nd front camera won't matter but a good camera does and I'm sure the G5 would be fine.

Thoughts, tips & recommendations please

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Wait for the V20....it's release is just around the corner. Review the LG website to see if you get any freebies upon purchase of the new V20. They usually do!

kryst100

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Waiting for V20 is a good idea. Also, LG should release G6 at the beginning of 2017.

But if you need phone ASAP and cheap ones won't do, then G5 has much better performance then V10 (but I wouldn't expect V10 to lag or anything like that), it's smaller (easier to use with small hands), but always-on display is too dim to be usefull (if you care about that).

Cameras are comparable, V10 has manual video but I guess you could just download V10's camera app (seen this somewhere on XDA). LG cameras tend to overexpose photos, so getting more manual and lowering exposition a little bit can help there.

G5 isn't as rugged as V10 though, and you don't get DAC for great music (unless you buy DAC module, which isn't available in US from what I heard). No waterproofing on either of them, but at least batteries are removable.

Both won't allow wireless charging, in theory there are stickers for V10 but apparently LG had issues with wireless charging, so it might be a little risky there.

If you buy either of them, make sure to get a spare battery - instant 100% charge is great to have.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yikes! AT&T just announced V20 price of $830. Still best phone for camera, DAC for sound plus removable battery. I have read in other posts that the V10 suffered from an occasional boot-loop problem like the G4, but not as much. Still watch the LG site for freebie giveaways. They need to do something for that price!

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Maybe V20 instead of the G5. But I don't think I would go for the V10 over the G5.

The thing is... The G5 will be half the price of the V20 at first.

I paid full price for my G5 and would do it again but they are dirt cheap now.

Just sayin'.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
V20 is too expensive for me so I'm also trying to decide which phone to upgrade from the G3 and G4. I really like the size and feel of the V10, but would I wish I had opted for the faster processor in six months? Also considering the Moto Z Play because of the battery life...

G5 also has fresher software compared to V10. Just don't know if I should give preference to wanting a bigger phone or just go for the faster phone since lag and slow down have been issues on the G3 and G4 more than I'd like. V10 has the same 808 as the G4, but maybe it's optimized better?

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
personally I like the G5 better than the V10 after seeing them side by side at the At&T store when I went in to see the G5 before buying it online. I thought it was just too darn big to carry around in my pocket. I was actually unsure about the G5 too, being that the G5 has a 5.3 inch screen and my S5 had a 5.1 inch screen. I didn't want anything much bigger but still wanted a good fast device. The G5 is only a tiny bit wider and a little taller than the Galaxy S5, in comparison the V10 felt too big for my taste.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
personally I like the G5 better than the V10 after seeing them side by side at the At&T store when I went in to see the G5 before buying it online. I thought it was just too darn big to carry around in my pocket. I was actually unsure about the G5 too, being that the G5 has a 5.3 inch screen and my S5 had a 5.1 inch screen. I didn't want anything much bigger but still wanted a good fast device. The G5 is only a tiny bit wider and a little taller than the Galaxy S5, in comparison the V10 felt too big for my taste.

I'll be migrating from the G3 and G4, though, so that's actually a smaller screen for me. I was in the market for a larger screen, but just not sure if I can trust the performance of the V10 in the longrun since I wasn't all that happy with the G4 in the longrun (switched back to my G3 and gave the G4 to my girlfriend). One of my big issues with the G5 is that it has a smaller screen than what I'm used to, but not really having the benefit of being a smaller device since it has much larger bezels than the G3 and G4.

I'm just so undecided. Was thinking about the OnePlus 3, but don't like the idea of a non-removable battery and it doesn't sound like the OP3 has better battery than what I could get from LG. Also leaning towards the Moto Z Play since battery is more important to me than camera and all reviews says the Play version of the Z performs just as well as the standard Z or Z Force... my only real reservations about that phone is I've grown to like LG's UX and would also prefer a back fingerprint scanner.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I find front fingerprint scanner not a big issue, especially when the phone is on the table. front facing speakers are also nice.

would go with the moto z play. get about 2 days batterylife with 14 hours SOT , which is amazing

with battery mod it's like 4 or 5 days or so, lol

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably go with the Play. I'd prefer a back fingerprint scanner, but I'll survive a front one with no issue. The battery life on that phone is hard to pass up.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I find front fingerprint scanner not a big issue, especially when the phone is on the table. front facing speakers are also nice.

would go with the moto z play. get about 2 days batterylife with 14 hours SOT , which is amazing

with battery mod it's like 4 or 5 days or so, lol

I'm not sure about the front facing speakers though. My Nexus 9 has two front facing speakers and my G5 with just the one sounds better AND louder. You don't get any separation, of course but I am telling you the sound you do get from the one is miles better.
And you can hear just fine with the phone sitting on a desk.

I can tell you without a doubt that the G5 is a better phone all around. Especially the camera which you don't really care about. BUT... Nice to have. The screen is miles better.

Also... I use an LG Tone Infinim wireless headset and the sound is amazing. I consider myself somewhat an audiophile and this is top notch.

You won't be sorry if you purchased the G5. That I know for sure. You say you like LG's skin? I've always been a pure Android, Nexus junkie and the G5 is my first gadget stepping away from that besides all the Apple crap I've owned in the past. I'm starting to get used to the LG skin and actually am starting to like it more than Google's pure Android.

Last edited:

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Waiting for V20 is a good idea. Also, LG should release G6 at the beginning of 2017.

But if you need phone ASAP and cheap ones won't do, then G5 has much better performance then V10 (but I wouldn't expect V10 to lag or anything like that), it's smaller (easier to use with small hands), but always-on display is too dim to be usefull (if you care about that).

Cameras are comparable, V10 has manual video but I guess you could just download V10's camera app (seen this somewhere on XDA). LG cameras tend to overexpose photos, so getting more manual and lowering exposition a little bit can help there.

G5 isn't as rugged as V10 though, and you don't get DAC for great music (unless you buy DAC module, which isn't available in US from what I heard). No waterproofing on either of them, but at least batteries are removable.

Both won't allow wireless charging, in theory there are stickers for V10 but apparently LG had issues with wireless charging, so it might be a little risky there.

If you buy either of them, make sure to get a spare battery - instant 100% charge is great to have.

Just a question..

How does one know that the V10 is more rugged than the G5..? They must have done some drop tests.

Anyone know where to find this out?

Thanks.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Just a question..

How does one know that the V10 is more rugged than the G5..? They must have done some drop tests.

Anyone know where to find this out?

Thanks.
There have been drop tests, but the V10 also has some military grade durability rating — which the V20 also has despite not looking so rugged. Also, if you've ever held a V10, you can feel that it's a lot more sturdy built than your average phone.

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I was considering the Moto G4+ non removable battery was the big mark against it, but it is a great mid level device with 5.5 inch screen

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the g5 over the weekend off craiglist for 220 new. It's a nice phone. I think it may be perfect size. The battery sucks though, but it has great specs for the price. I was looking forward to the v20 but it doesn't seem like the batter life is any better than the g5 and I think the price is probably $100 more than it should be. If you had to pick one up right away and can't wait for the v20 I would pick up the g5 over the v10.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
There have been drop tests, but the V10 also has some military grade durability rating — which the V20 also has despite not looking so rugged. Also, if you've ever held a V10, you can feel that it's a lot more sturdy built than your average phone.

I found some videos supporting your claim. Thanks!

I also found a water test video for the G5 that really surprised me. It survived 2 minutes totally submerged. Not bad for a phone that's not waterproof.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I just picked up the g5 over the weekend off craiglist for 220 new. It's a nice phone. I think it may be perfect size. The battery sucks though, but it has great specs for the price. I was looking forward to the v20 but it doesn't seem like the batter life is any better than the g5 and I think the price is probably $100 more than it should be. If you had to pick one up right away and can't wait for the v20 I would pick up the g5 over the v10.

I don't see how one could claim that the battery sucks when one "just picked up" the phone. Give it some time, man!

I personally think the battery life to be pretty dang good compared to every other device I've ever owned.

At least it's swappable.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how one could claim that the battery sucks when one "just picked up" the phone. Give it some time, man!

I personally think the battery life to be pretty dang good compared to every other device I've ever owned.

At least it's swappable.

It's just my experience with lg. The g2 was pretty solid, the g3 and g4 the battery was awful. I've switched back and forth from the iphone 6s plus and the note 5/7 sold my note 5. Bad decision to sell the note 5 I guess. The battery life is just far worse then those phones. I guess I need to get a couple of spare batteries and it would be a non issue. My routine has just changed the last couple years since most phones have gone away from swappable batteries. I have an extra battery and charger on order now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463