Damn I still love my G5

Im Broken

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I see lots of threads with questions from people not sure if they should check out the G5. I've come to the realization this is my favorite Android ever and I'm putting it out there for those in doubt. I started on Android with a Nexus 5 and have used a ton of different devices. Most of them were awesome but were always lacking in one or two areas that kept me looking at other phones. That's how I know this G5 is a killer phone. I've basically quit looking at other phones. I'm not reading about the latest and greatest every day, not trying to fill a need that I don't have. I'm just using my phone and loving it. So if you're on the fence about trying one out I say do it. This forum is slow for a reason. Not much to ***** about. ;)

Im Broken

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Oh yea, I went through the G4 bootloop fiasco and swore to Baby Jesus I'd never buy another LG product again. AT&T finally gave me this G5 as a warranty replacement for my multiple G4 returns. I would never have considered this phone if not for that. So save yourself some time if you were going to make an LG fanboy reply.

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I was a Samsung fanboy... Exploding Notes and no removable battery in their new phone sent me on the look for something different. The G5 checked off all the boxes for me removable battery, good processor, 4Gb of ram, good screen size, micro sd card slot, and the wide angle 📷 as a bonus.
It does have a few tiny flaws and the modular thing never caught on but its still a nice device.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Oh yea, I went through the G4 bootloop fiasco and swore to Baby Jesus I'd never buy another LG product again. AT&T finally gave me this G5 as a warranty replacement for my multiple G4 returns. I would never have considered this phone if not for that. So save yourself some time if you were going to make an LG fanboy reply.
I was in the same boat, but with Sprint. I asked the sales rep between the HTC 10 and the G5, and he said hands down, the G5. My first one had a screen freeze in the first 4 hours, but the replacement for that has performed flawlessly (knock on wood). I'm also not that interested in the latest and greatest, and can see me using this for several years.

Im Broken

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I was in the same boat, but with Sprint. I asked the sales rep between the HTC 10 and the G5, and he said hands down, the G5. My first one had a screen freeze in the first 4 hours, but the replacement for that has performed flawlessly (knock on wood). I'm also not that interested in the latest and greatest, and can see me using this for several years.

Agreed. The 820 in this thing should be good for a long time. And when the battery gets old I just get a new one. ;)

Im Broken

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I was a Samsung fanboy... Exploding Notes and no removable battery in their new phone sent me on the look for something different. The G5 checked off all the boxes for me removable battery, good processor, 4Gb of ram, good screen size, micro sd card slot, and the wide angle 📷 as a bonus.
It does have a few tiny flaws and the modular thing never caught on but its still a nice device.

I just can't stand all that extra Samsung BS loaded on those phones. LG and AT&T have some on here but most is easy to get rid of. Ideally Nexus/pixel is for me but the 6p is just too damn big and the pixel is just too damn expensive.

DizturbedOne

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
Ditto. mikey1273 took the words right out of my mouth. Samsung fan boy here that jumped ship when they took the removable battery away. I usually have multiple batteries for my phones and they last years. I usually only get a new phone when the old is dated and incompatible or too slow for current apps. Loving the G5.

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I still love mine. I have to agree that it's the best android phone I've ever had or used for any length of time. I haven't owned many but I've been lucky enough to mess with quite a few when people I know have gotten them. I started android with a Galaxy SII, then jumped to the Note 3 and now the G5 when it launched. Been able to use a couple of of Galaxy phones and a G2 and G3. This past year my wife got a G5 and I got one for my mom so when she has questions I have more experience with her device. Adding storage and having a removable battery were a must and after the garbage that was the Note 3 camera, I really wanted a phone with a great camera. G5 ticked all those boxes. I had 1 issue with it where it didn't charge up to 100% but I cycled the battery and it's been normal ever since. I got the spare LG battery and charging cradle when I purchased the phone so that's been great to not have to worry about running out of juice when I'm out and about.

It'd be hard to recommend it right now though just because the G6 is right around the corner.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I went through the boot loop myself. Said I'd give LG a shot at redemption and in my opinion, they succeed. Fantastic device. I'm considering not upgrading this year. I bought an Honor 8 on sale during the holidays so I'm all set for a while.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Also, LG did a great job with the Nougat update. I've been on 7.0 since November wth T-Mobile.

Last edited:

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I see alot of hate for the G5 through Android Central and other reviewers on YouTube. PocketNow, on the other hand does a good job of bringing an unbiased approach to it all. I love android central and mobile nations in general, don't get me wrong, I just find that they lean to the side of the Samsung S series and Pixel far too much.

My wife has the Galaxy S7. I never found it to perform any better than my G5. As a matter of fact the G5 doesn't stutter through tasks at all whereas any Samsung device I've used lags a bit here and there.

Do I love the G5? No. I like it. I think it's a fine device but I'm not keeping it for much longer. Love the camera but the device as a whole feels cheap. I was actually looking at an HTC 10 in store when they told me they no longer have them in stock...at all. So I moved to the G5.

All in all, it's a good device. I don't have any complaints other than I think it feels and looks cheap. At $499, I don't think I should feel that way. Oh, and the phone restarts when I unplug it from my car once and a while. Weird.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles