Why the hate for the LG G5?

Ed_Strong

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: why the hate?

Ive had mine since Feb this year, so far it's been great, love the phone...! I've had no LTE issues at all and I barely use the GPS so I cannot comment there. Only thing I'll have to say negative about the phone is the Auto-Brightness...really, really sucky! It seems it has a mind of it's own and most of the time reacts backwards to what the setting should be or not react at all.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

The phone is ok, but there is some serious quality control issues going on with boot loop.
The most plausible explanation Ive read is the phone over heats and causes the solder to come undone. That is ... special.

There is a video on YouTube that says something like "easy g5 boot loop fix" and the guy completely dismantles the device and hits it with a blow dryer and it at least temporarily works.

The G4 had the same issue, rumor was the battery connectors. Ive seen people replace the device 4 or 5 times under warranty and it happen to each one. I received a notification the other day for a free G5 and I am not interested, even for a family member on my acct.

No activation fee, pay $65ish in taxes and $12 a month for service on that line and receive a credit each month to oay for the device. No thanks :)

I really hope the G6 succeeds.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

As far as I know the solder issue is related to the G4 and possibly the V10. That's it.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site

Ive had mine since Feb this year, so far it's been great, love the phone...! I've had no LTE issues at all and I barely use the GPS so I cannot comment there. Only thing I'll have to say negative about the phone is the Auto-Brightness...really, really sucky! It seems it has a mind of it's own and most of the time reacts backwards to what the setting should be or not react at all.

Have you tried a auto brightness app like Lux?

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I've had mine for 3 months now my volume down button stopped working all of a sudden , any ideas?

Mine is mushy and doesn't click sometimes but still controls the volume. If it doesn't work at all then it needs to be repaired most likely.

whocares82313

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site

What about the LTE and GPS problems people are reporting?

I bought a brand new LG G5 RS988 (Factory Unlocked) in July. Everything worked, and then Nougat was pushed out. Once I loaded it with Nougat, I immediately ceased connecting to LTE Band 17, which my network (Cricket) uses. I can still get service via LTE Bands 2 and 4, but we have a piece of family property where the only service available is via LTE Band 17.

Around the same time I bought my wife a new ZTE Axon 7 Mini. She is rocking Android 7.1 and gets full LTE Band 17 connectivity. My in-laws have much older, crappier phones and both get LTE Band 17.

I bought the G5 due to the fact it is advertised as being LTE Band 17 capable. Seriously. There are a few other phones I was considering. One or two didn’t have LTE Band 17 antennas, and I took them off my list. One that I should have gotten instead was the Motorola G5 Plus. Seriously should have pulled the trigger on that one. But, I wanted to avoid a Chinese – Lenovo phone.

Now, after contacting LG numerous times and being told I can turn it in for repair, only for it to be sent back to me on Nougat (meaning no LTE Band 17), I have a paper weight while away at the property with family. Its quite a shame seeing I have the most technologically advanced phone out of the group.

I was told LG was working on an update. Looks like that update was a security update only. No help to me.

Now I have to wait to see if Oreo, if we ever get it, will fix my issue.

I have checked all my settings. Done numerous resets and factory restores, etc. I have contacted Cricket. I have searched online for answers. I am not the only one with LTE Band 17 connectivity issues.

I wish LG would stand by the product and service and admit there may be an issue, and try and push an update to fix it. Should be a simple fix. Nougat killed LTE Band 17. Should be a simple re-write to have the software turn it back on.

Wont be going back to LG. Will likely end up upgrading shortly to a competitor. If it weren’t for the LTE Band 17 death………………. I am pretty happy with the phone. But, when I cant even check an email………………with a former flagship phone………… something is off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084