01-19-2018 03:33 PM
28 12
tools
    I am about to get a G5 from Swappa tomorrow in the mail and I am happy about it. I am interested in the G6, but I can't stand this S7 I have and I want something in the interim while I decide on that or the Pixel 2 later. Why does everyone hate on this phone though? I saw an article saying it was a failed experiment and that it just doesn't match up. What do you all that have this phone think?
    02-27-2017 06:16 PM
    The modular aspect of the G5 was poorly implemented. The main complaint is that one had to shut down the G5 in order to swap out modules. They're not hot swappable like on the Moto Z series. And another issue is the lack of new modules with the G5.
    02-27-2017 06:43 PM
    The phone works great, even if the module idea was a bust. It's nice to have a swappable battery, which you'll lose with the G6. I'm perfectly happy with my G5.
    Norg, recDNA and barotropic like this.
    02-27-2017 07:06 PM
    The modular aspect of the G5 was poorly implemented. The main complaint is that one had to shut down the G5 in order to swap out modules. They're not hot swappable like on the Moto Z series. And another issue is the lack of new modules with the G5.
    But how is the software, the performance, etc? I thought the modules were hokey when they announced the phone a year ago, but that's one aspect, right?
    02-27-2017 07:28 PM
    But how is the software, the performance, etc? I thought the modules were hokey when they announced the phone a year ago, but that's one aspect, right?
    That's like, the main selling point of the phone.
    Aquila likes this.
    02-27-2017 08:41 PM
    Don't get the US unlocked RS988 if you do. It's the only variant in the US that still hasn't been given Nougat. Usually the factory unlocked devices get it first
    02-27-2017 09:31 PM
    That's like, the main selling point of the phone.
    So the phone is crap?
    02-27-2017 09:46 PM
    Don't get the US unlocked RS988 if you do. It's the only variant in the US that still hasn't been given Nougat. Usually the factory unlocked devices get it first
    +1
    02-27-2017 09:46 PM
    That's the same with the unlocked S7 I have. I am not getting one again, unless it's a Pixel. So.Samsung and LG screwed the unlocked customers. Why buy an unlocked phone? I got the Verizon variant.
    02-27-2017 09:49 PM
    So the phone is crap?
    In my opinion, it doesn't check many of the boxes that I look for in a phone. It doesn't necessarily mean it's crap. It's just not my cup of tea. If it works for you, and it's what you want in a phone, then rock it with pride!
    02-27-2017 10:46 PM
    So the phone is crap?
    The phone itself is Great. Swappable battery, SD card slot, large screen, great specs. I don't need any expensive modules.
    You shouldn't be disappointed. Unless your problem with the S6 is with the OS. The OEM junk is a given we all have to accept.
    If you are not happy, try Windows Phone. I keep that as my Primary phone, while I use Android for my "toys".
    02-28-2017 06:39 PM
    So the phone is crap?
    No... its A great phone. I only left it because I wanted the V20 which is larger and has. Quad DAC. The G5 is a very capable phone.
    03-07-2017 05:47 PM
    I will have a G5 tonight to toy with for a day or so ... So we will see .
    03-07-2017 06:58 PM
    I finally picked one up a couple of days ago. So far very impressed. I heard the build quality was poor and that if felt more like plastic than metal. Well that is completely false. This phone certainly has that cool to the touch metal feel. I've also been very impressed with the camera.
    03-07-2017 07:07 PM
    I just upgraded to a G5 about a week ago. I grabbed the wife one also, as BB was practically giving them away.
    So far I am very impressed with the phone. The screen is crisp and sharp, the camera takes some really nice pics, and I really like messing around with the wide angle lens.
    Battery life seems pretty decent, and the finger print reader is flawless.
    Me personally, I really don't see what's not to like. The modular thing really didn't catch on, but who cares. I can pull it out and swap batteries. (BB also gave me an extra one with the charger.) The phone is smooth, no lag at all, looks great, and just works.. More people should really take a look at the G5. It really is a great phone, and u can save a boat load of money grabbing one now, since the G6 is coming, and of course the new Galaxy's, they will be looking to get rid of the G5's.
    03-08-2017 01:11 PM
    I agree! There's nothing to dislike. It's an incredible piece of technology (as are most phones today). I was kind of forced to buying it but have never regretted it in the least.

The cameras are super. You'll notice all the big OEM's heading towards duel camera setups now.
    recDNA likes this.
    06-07-2017 08:25 AM
    What about the LTE and GPS problems people are reporting?
    06-08-2017 02:00 PM
    I owned and extensively used a G5 as a truck driver throughout multiple states. I rely on my phone more than anything I have to do my job. I never once had an issue with GPS signal, nor have I ever had any LTE issues.
    06-10-2017 10:33 PM
    So the phone is crap?
    No doubt most who comment here, are unsatisfied. For me personally it's been a very reliable and decent device. I use my phone daily for business and some personal and been doing so for close to a year now. Highly recommend.
    06-11-2017 01:50 AM
    What about the LTE and GPS problems people are reporting?
    Had it for close to a year, and have never experienced issues with either. Very reliable and solid device.
    06-11-2017 01:54 AM
    Ive had mine since Feb this year, so far it's been great, love the phone...! I've had no LTE issues at all and I barely use the GPS so I cannot comment there. Only thing I'll have to say negative about the phone is the Auto-Brightness...really, really sucky! It seems it has a mind of it's own and most of the time reacts backwards to what the setting should be or not react at all.
    06-11-2017 09:17 PM
    I've had mine for 3 months now my volume down button stopped working all of a sudden , any ideas?
    06-11-2017 09:39 PM
    The phone is ok, but there is some serious quality control issues going on with boot loop.
    The most plausible explanation Ive read is the phone over heats and causes the solder to come undone. That is ... special.

There is a video on YouTube that says something like "easy g5 boot loop fix" and the guy completely dismantles the device and hits it with a blow dryer and it at least temporarily works.

The G4 had the same issue, rumor was the battery connectors. Ive seen people replace the device 4 or 5 times under warranty and it happen to each one. I received a notification the other day for a free G5 and I am not interested, even for a family member on my acct.

No activation fee, pay $65ish in taxes and $12 a month for service on that line and receive a credit each month to oay for the device. No thanks

I really hope the G6 succeeds.
    06-14-2017 06:55 PM
    As far as I know the solder issue is related to the G4 and possibly the V10. That's it.
    Norg likes this.
    06-18-2017 05:59 PM
    Ive had mine since Feb this year, so far it's been great, love the phone...! I've had no LTE issues at all and I barely use the GPS so I cannot comment there. Only thing I'll have to say negative about the phone is the Auto-Brightness...really, really sucky! It seems it has a mind of it's own and most of the time reacts backwards to what the setting should be or not react at all.
    Have you tried a auto brightness app like Lux?
    06-20-2017 05:25 PM
28 12