Why the hate for the LG G5?

Andrewtude

Banned
Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
I am about to get a G5 from Swappa tomorrow in the mail and I am happy about it. I am interested in the G6, but I can't stand this S7 I have and I want something in the interim while I decide on that or the Pixel 2 later. Why does everyone hate on this phone though? I saw an article saying it was a failed experiment and that it just doesn't match up. What do you all that have this phone think?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: why the hate?

The modular aspect of the G5 was poorly implemented. The main complaint is that one had to shut down the G5 in order to swap out modules. They're not hot swappable like on the Moto Z series. And another issue is the lack of new modules with the G5.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

The phone works great, even if the module idea was a bust. It's nice to have a swappable battery, which you'll lose with the G6. I'm perfectly happy with my G5.

Andrewtude

Banned
Feb 26, 2017
Visit site

The modular aspect of the G5 was poorly implemented. The main complaint is that one had to shut down the G5 in order to swap out modules. They're not hot swappable like on the Moto Z series. And another issue is the lack of new modules with the G5.

But how is the software, the performance, etc? I thought the modules were hokey when they announced the phone a year ago, but that's one aspect, right?

phrozenspite

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site

But how is the software, the performance, etc? I thought the modules were hokey when they announced the phone a year ago, but that's one aspect, right?

Don't get the US unlocked RS988 if you do. It's the only variant in the US that still hasn't been given Nougat. Usually the factory unlocked devices get it first

Andrewtude

Banned
Feb 26, 2017
Visit site

Don't get the US unlocked RS988 if you do. It's the only variant in the US that still hasn't been given Nougat. Usually the factory unlocked devices get it first

That's the same with the unlocked S7 I have. I am not getting one again, unless it's a Pixel. So.Samsung and LG screwed the unlocked customers. Why buy an unlocked phone? I got the Verizon variant.

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

So the phone is crap?

The phone itself is Great. Swappable battery, SD card slot, large screen, great specs. I don't need any expensive modules.
You shouldn't be disappointed. Unless your problem with the S6 is with the OS. The OEM junk is a given we all have to accept.
If you are not happy, try Windows Phone. I keep that as my Primary phone, while I use Android for my "toys".

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I will have a G5 tonight to toy with for a day or so ... So we will see :D.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

I finally picked one up a couple of days ago. So far very impressed. I heard the build quality was poor and that if felt more like plastic than metal. Well that is completely false. This phone certainly has that cool to the touch metal feel. I've also been very impressed with the camera.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I just upgraded to a G5 about a week ago. I grabbed the wife one also, as BB was practically giving them away.
So far I am very impressed with the phone. The screen is crisp and sharp, the camera takes some really nice pics, and I really like messing around with the wide angle lens.
Battery life seems pretty decent, and the finger print reader is flawless.
Me personally, I really don't see what's not to like. The modular thing really didn't catch on, but who cares. I can pull it out and swap batteries. (BB also gave me an extra one with the charger.) The phone is smooth, no lag at all, looks great, and just works.. More people should really take a look at the G5. It really is a great phone, and u can save a boat load of money grabbing one now, since the G6 is coming, and of course the new Galaxy's, they will be looking to get rid of the G5's.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

I agree! There's nothing to dislike. It's an incredible piece of technology (as are most phones today). I was kind of forced to buying it but have never regretted it in the least.

The cameras are super. You'll notice all the big OEM's heading towards duel camera setups now.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

I owned and extensively used a G5 as a truck driver throughout multiple states. I rely on my phone more than anything I have to do my job. I never once had an issue with GPS signal, nor have I ever had any LTE issues.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

So the phone is crap?
No doubt most who comment here, are unsatisfied. For me personally it's been a very reliable and decent device. I use my phone daily for business and some personal and been doing so for close to a year now. Highly recommend.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puiman