Google Assistant showed up during unboxing of LG G5 that arrived today, why?

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
Google Assistant showed up during unboxing of LG G5 that arrived today, why? It was delivered by FedEx just an hour ago.

I entered a random Gmail account that I have not used in years. After it went back to the homescreen, I pressed the home button and Google Assistant immediately popped up. (in the mean time, my old Samsung S7 is still without Google Assistant no matter what I tried) :(

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the G5 shipped with Nougat and Google Play Services have been updated on the unit (which can also happen at set up), then Assistant will work. Since that update is being rolled out (not sure what the specifics are, but to the best of my knowledge, it's not controlled by manufacturers) then that just means your S7 just hasn't gotten 'lucky' yet.

Again, the update is on Google's side (Google Play Services).

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
If the G5 shipped with Nougat and Google Play Services have been updated on the unit (which can also happen at set up), then Assistant will work. Since that update is being rolled out (not sure what the specifics are, but to the best of my knowledge, it's not controlled by manufacturers) then that just means your S7 just hasn't gotten 'lucky' yet.

Again, the update is on Google's side (Google Play Services).

when I unboxed it today, it came with Marshmallow 6.0.1 (dated March 31, 2016), build MMB29M and when I hit "update" it said I had the most current version. :(

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, my bad... Assistant is coming to Marshmallow and Nougat, you're right. But the 'culprit' behind that is Google Play Services update.