With the G6 coming out and the price on the Verizon G5 most likely going way down, would you recommend moving from a G3 to the G5. A little worried about the smaller screen and the reported GPS issues. Any and all coments appriciated
    03-13-2017 04:42 PM
    I just upgraded from the G4. I really don't notice the size difference in the screen. I've only had the phone for a 10 days, but so far I'm happy the G5. I haven't had any GPS issues yet, and have used it several times. The camera is amazing, and the wide angle lens is a really nice option.
    My thought process is like yours. Why pay top dollar for a phone that just came out, when you can find last years flagships on the cheap.
    Good luck! I really don't think that you can go wrong with the G5.
    RVNut and Morty2264 like this.
    03-13-2017 05:20 PM
    I went from a G3 to a G5 last month and I'm very happy about the move... I too was worried about going down on screen size but not a big deal after a few days. The speaker Sound is so much much better on the G5. Camera is even better as well. Battery life is way way better and the phone is super fast. Those few alone are worth the move right there, not to mention the removable battery and SD Card slot (got a 128GB on mine)
    I do miss the "volume up" and "volume down" buttons on the back of the phone and still cannot get used to the rocker on the side of the G5 for whatever reason.
    One thing that I really wish they would've done better is the brightness of the screen outdoors on daylight...very poor! And the auto brightness do not help at all... the G3 was so much better at this.
    I have not tried the GPS so I cannot comment on that, sorry
    RVNut and Morty2264 like this.
    03-13-2017 10:35 PM
    i use G3 as my work phone and this week i've bought G5 as a second (private) phone. It's really a massive change!

Speed - On G5 everything runs very fast and there are no slowdowns in day to day usage even with lots of open apps. On G3 when i listen to Spotify nad browse Facebook and then click on Youtube movie - it looks like slideshow.

Camera - i am doing photos with both phones at a same time ("Whiskey!") and then compare the results... G5 makes so much better photos... i will post some G3vsG5 examples if you want

Fingertip sensor - very fast and accurate

Lg Cam plus - i really like it and dont mind extra space - i got large pockets and this works really cool as anti-slippery system

Display size - i like big displays so for me it could be a 5,5 or even 5,7 but the colours and details are really cool, it could be brighter of course but nothing is perfect
    RVNut likes this.
    03-17-2017 09:28 AM
    Is G5 sigal strenth better, how about call quality and GPS?
    03-17-2017 12:11 PM
    Is G5 sigal strenth better, how about call quality and GPS?
    I can't compare it to the g3, but I just made a trip from Central Ohio to NE OK to the gulf coast of FL and the gps did not skip a beat. Unlike my V10 which is always searching for GPS as I drive. Now my g5 is new since I just got in on the $120 deal from BB. I have heard over time the GPS can have trouble. I also haven't had problem with signal or call quality on AT&T in any of these areas.
    RVNut likes this.
    03-17-2017 12:36 PM
    I've only had my LG G5 for about a week and a half and it has performed flawlessly, further sweetened by the arrival of Google Assistant a few days ago via a routine app update. I have decided that this phone will work fine for me, don't need the latest pricey version.
    03-19-2017 06:40 PM
    Oops, sorry, accidentally posted twice.
    03-19-2017 06:45 PM
    I ran with the g5 for awhile and it was perfectly fine for day to day use. Camera was awesome, speed was all there, call quality was very good and had no gps issues. Plus that removable battery is allllll that
    03-19-2017 07:21 PM
    While there has been quite a bit of negativity surrounding the G5, I still believe it is a good phone in its own right. Keep in mind that the modules are being discontinued (or maybe they aren't making extra modules); so if you are getting it for the modular use as well, I'd look into that.

At the end of the day, what truly matters is what you, yourself think: will you get a good use out of this phone for the length of your contract? Is the 0.3" (or so) difference enough to satisfy you? Do you see yourself being able to look at it, hold it, and use it? If so, then I really think you should consider it.

I've looked at my co-worker's G5 and I must say, it feels good in the hand and the display is great. I'd watch some unboxing and review videos on YouTube of the device to give you a better idea of how it runs (look out for Android Authority videos as well as those from Android Central).

Please keep us updated on your decision!
    03-19-2017 08:50 PM
    Thanks for all the coments, looks like I will move to a G5 when the price drops next month.
    Morty2264 and meattray like this.
    03-20-2017 01:45 PM
    Thanks for all the coments, looks like I will move to a G5 when the price drops next month.
    Congratulations! Let us know how you like the phone when you get it!
    03-20-2017 09:03 PM
    Good to hear. You won't be disappointed. Try to look for a second battery and charging pack.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-20-2017 10:18 PM
    Keep a eye out at Best Buy. About 2 weeks ago, they did a 3 day sale on the G5 for $5 a month for all carriers, plus a free battery and charger. It makes the price of the phone $120, which is absurd for this phone. I grabbed one for myself and one for my Wife.
    I had the G4, and so far I'm loving the G5.
    RVNut likes this.
    03-21-2017 07:31 AM
    Keep a eye out at Best Buy. About 2 weeks ago, they did a 3 day sale on the G5 for $5 a month for all carriers, plus a free battery and charger. It makes the price of the phone $120, which is absurd for this phone. I grabbed one for myself and one for my Wife.
    I had the G4, and so far I'm loving the G5.
    Best buy has the G5 for Sprint at $5, AT&T for $12, and Verizon for $15/month. Waiting for the Verizon G5 to get to $5, will be waiting a while most likely.
    03-24-2017 12:39 PM
    Have decided to hold off on the G5 due to Nougat preventing PDANet/Foxfi from working. So I will stay with my G3 until they get Foxfi working on Nougat. Thanks for all the comments and feedback.
    04-17-2017 02:55 PM
    A new LG G5 comes with Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS, is there a way to prevent it from installing the Nougat 7.0 update?
    04-18-2017 01:42 PM
    I went from a G3 to a G5 last month and I'm very happy about the move... I too was worried about going down on screen size but not a big deal after a few days. The speaker Sound is so much much better on the G5. Camera is even better as well. Battery life is way way better and the phone is super fast. Those few alone are worth the move right there, not to mention the removable battery and SD Card slot (got a 128GB on mine)
    I do miss the "volume up" and "volume down" buttons on the back of the phone and still cannot get used to the rocker on the side of the G5 for whatever reason.
    One thing that I really wish they would've done better is the brightness of the screen outdoors on daylight...very poor! And the auto brightness do not help at all... the G3 was so much better at this.
    I have not tried the GPS so I cannot comment on that, sorry
    When I read your post I had to respond. For me, the G5 is the only phone I've ever owned that I could use outdoors. I had the settings incorrect and I was really disappointed when I first tried it outside. I can't remember how I figured it out but this phone jumps up to a whopping nits count after changing the screen brightness to auto.

Give it a try.

Now, I purposely go out into the bright sun to get it to jump up in brightness so I can stare at it with wonder and amazement.

It's been more than a year and I still love this phone. I would swap it in a heartbeat for the V20 though to get the quad DAC. I know the selfie camera is only 5mp compared to the G5 but I don't really take a lot of selfie.
    06-07-2017 08:03 AM