Out of sheer frustration I called LG customer service this morning to see if I could get a straight answer about the Nougat update for unlocked RS988 LG G5 phones. I advised that my phone is an unlocked RS988 gsm served by Tracfone which is using AT&T towers. The customer service rep told me that this model will not be receiving the Nougat update because the push would have to come from AT&T, which I suspected. As a non-contract service Tracfone only provides my minutes/text/data and does not deal with software updates. I read also that AT&T will not be providing the update to non-contract carrier phones. Bummer. I am still within the time limit to return my LG G5 and am seriously considering doing so. I hesitate somewhat because I now have Google Assistant, which is very handy plus I'm reading that the cameras on my LG G5 are actually better than those on some of the newer flagship phones, and then there is the replaceable battery. Arrrgh. Not sure what I should do but I have until April 4 to either return or exchange my LG G5. For what it's worth I saw several comments on LG's reviews by customers who also stated that the unlocked LG G5 would not be updated. On the other hand, as long as I am on Tracfone I will always be dealing with this situation which is why I want to find a phone I can live with for a long time even if it doesn't get yearly updates. And updates are usually only good for a couple of years, aren't they, before new ones come along?
    03-19-2017 11:15 AM
    Are you certain that the unlocked LG G5 will not be updated?

That doesn't seem to be true because if it was, we would be hearing way more backlash by now.
    03-19-2017 11:31 AM
    Well, after further consideration it makes sense. My experience may not apply to everyone posting here, but LG, Best Buy and Tracfone have confirmed that the rs988 will not be receiving the Nougat update. Tracfone, like other non-contract providers is obligated to provide my minutes/text/data which they do very nicely for a very cheap price. Although Tracfone rents AT&T towers that does not obligate AT&T to provide software updates to non-contractual users and I believe that is their position. I realize now that the 2017-01-01 security patch I received on my LG G5 was exactly that, a security update and I seem to have received Google Assistant through my recent app updates. For some silly reason I thought that meant I was on the way to the Nougat update but my phone was simply receiving the app updates it normally receives. Having used the LG G5 for over a week now I think I'm going to keep it. I have not had one problem with the phone so it has proved "sea worthy" so to speak and as my husband wisely asked me, what exactly do you use a cell phone for and I have to admit it is basically phone calls, some web surfing and emails which the LG G5 handles very well, plus the microsd card I installed is functioning perfectly for storing photos, etc. I have also seen many reviews that are saying the cameras on some of the newer models are not as good as the ones I have on the LG G5. Bottom line is, as long as I am using Tracfone I will not be receiving Android software updates outside of app updates, security, etc. and I can live with that. Can't justify high monthly contract fees when Tracfone and the LG G5 are giving me exactly what I need. For serious cell phone updaters that may understandably be too restrictive. If someone gets info contrary to what I have posted I will be happy to read it. Meanwhile, this may well explain why so many contractual cell phone users have been receiving the Nougat update for some time now while rs988 owners have not received it.
    03-19-2017 12:59 PM
    Yes, from all the sleuthing I have done I am certain that the major contract carriers will not be providing os software updates to those of us with no contract unlocked phones, I would love to be proved wrong but so far I have not run across anyone with an unlocked phone served by a non-contract carrier who has received the nougat update and LG did confirm the situation.
    03-19-2017 04:59 PM
    I have the same phone. Im using it on Cricket. Same updates you got is what I have. LG will send the updates. They said they would send nougat so we will wait and see. I got 2 security patches since I got mine in October.

I work in IT industry and use my phone for more than texting and calls. Id say im almost a power user and this phone is fine. Nice cameras.
    Norg likes this.
    03-21-2017 06:15 PM
    Thanks for the info, that is encouraging. I like the LG G5 phone very much but dealing with LG customer service to get information, aarrrrrrrgggh!
    03-21-2017 08:50 PM
    I have the same phone. Im using it on Cricket. Same updates you got is what I have. LG will send the updates. They said they would send nougat so we will wait and see. I got 2 security patches since I got mine in October.

I work in IT industry and use my phone for more than texting and calls. Id say im almost a power user and this phone is fine. Nice cameras.
    Agreed. I am using RS988 on total wireless which is a Verizon MVNO. I have already received an update on this service about a month ago, obviously not nougat. So the upsets are coming from LG update servers.
    03-28-2017 02:07 AM
    So when should I be getting the nougat update for my unlocked AT&T LG g5?
    09-14-2017 08:16 PM
    So when should I be getting the nougat update for my unlocked AT&T LG g5?
    You don't have an RS988, so nothing above applies to your phone. Your Nougat update comes from AT&T, not LG. And I thought AT&T already released Nougat?

Sent from mTalk using a Dell Venue 8
    09-14-2017 09:33 PM
    Well Im not with AT&T I'm with koodo
    09-15-2017 07:55 AM
    I don't own the at&t model, but I've seen several discussions about how to get the upgrade. Apparently, it must come from at&t. Those who are not longer their customers talk about borrowing or buying actual at&t SIM cards in order to trick the network into sending the update. Weird.
    09-16-2017 01:54 PM
    Can I buy one in Alberta somewhere?
    09-16-2017 09:45 PM
    I am not an expert on this issue but if you have an at&t branded (whether or not unlocked) G5 and you are running it on the At&t network it should be able to get the OTA Nougat update (I've had it since at least April). You can simply call At&t and give them your phone's ESN and they can tell you if it us upgradeable oner their network. If so, there are no contracts except with new phone promotions so you can switch to At&t just long enough to get the upgrade and, if there is a large cost difference switch back. You may get At&t to cut you a deal if you tell them you are planning on leaving, when the time comes.

NOTE: research the pros and cons of Nougat vs Marshmallow on this phone. I got mine new with Nougat on it and I love it, but the battery life is poor and I've read some reports that it worsened significantly with Nougat. Take what you read frim any one source with a grain of salt, but if a number of reliable sources - eg, XDA - report a 20% or greater reduction in battery life, consider sticking with Marshmallow. If this phone had 20% better battery life I would get a full day's use on one battery charge 75% of the time whereas presently I only get through a day w/o swapping batteries or recharging about 25% of the time. The relatively small capacity of the battery in this phone (2800 mah) is a primary cause of short battery life;
    10-09-2017 09:52 AM
    I'm not running on AT&T network, AT&T told me I can't update it but they said I should try to to flash update it.
    10-09-2017 08:04 PM
    That's why I suggested you switch to AT&T for a month or less, just til you get the OTA upgrade. If you want to try flashing, go to XDA for directions. I'm sure it's doable, but not easy.
    10-10-2017 11:05 AM