G5 still worth it

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
My Moto X bit the dust so I'm looking for a replacement. Is there a better value than the G5 for around $200 which is about what it's going for on Swappa? Will it get Android O? Are there any major known issues like boot loop? Thanks

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I think it's definitely worth it for 200. The G5 doesn't have the boot loop issue as far as I know.

It got a bad rap for the modular implementation but if you think of it as just a way to swap batteries it is nice to have.

Camera is impressive and the 820 processor is more than capable.

It should get Android O but not sure when.

I personally think it's a highly underrated phone but ymmv

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Still rocking with my G5, solid and dependable. Haven't found any other phone that I'd use as replacement.

dejavecu

May 19, 2017
Visit site
My Moto X bit the dust so I'm looking for a replacement. Is there a better value than the G5 for around $200 which is about what it's going for on Swappa? Will it get Android O? Are there any major known issues like boot loop? Thanks
Dude! I am in the exact same boat. When I first read your post, my first thought was whether I wrote a thread and forgot about it. lol

I had the Moto X 2014 since it's release (never even used a case on it) and it's been the best phone I've ever owned.

The battery has become more and more unreliable though, discharging and shutting off, going from 15% to 1% then shutting off.
I begrudgingly began the shopping process, trying everything on display at the local stores.
Save for the Pixel (too expensive), I could not find one that felt like a happy replacement. I was looking into just soldiering through the unpredictable battery until the next Moto X release but that is a ways a way still.

I had thought about tracking a G5 down a bit ago to just try out the whole APT-x Bluetooth thing for curiosity's sake as I have the LG Platinum tones ($50 refurbs, I'm not crazy enough to pay full) and there are virtually no other devices that supports APT-x; a new G5 came up for $290 so I took the leap.

Before I came across my first Moto phone, the Moto X 2013, I was a massive spec. *****; I bought phones only their performance numbers. The Moto X was an eye opener and I've had both generations and a second gen. Moto G ($25 used back up).

I've had the G5 for almost a week now and for all the flash and up to date performance of it, truth be told I do miss the Moto X a lot but the G5 is no slouch.

Battery life has been surprisingly poor but I've been playing a lot with the stock features and installing and uninstalling apps to make the G5 as Moto like as possible and just got two OTA updates so no judgment there yet.

For all the little annoyances that LG has unnecessarily brought to the table in putting their spin on Android (God I took Moto's purity for granted), the LG shows a lot of potential still, excited about having a better than average camera (the one undeniable weakness of the Moto line) and put it all together and the G5 no longer feels like a complete compromise.

For $200, I say go for it as long as it doesn't have any of the screen issues supposedly some users are having. The main issue with even the most perfect used phone is that the unavoidable death clock of a lithium battery has started.
One can easily find a a LG branded battery for $15 so very little risk there.

Good luck and I'll be looking forward to hearing how you feel about the transition as well.

dejavecu

May 19, 2017
Visit site
I think it's definitely worth it for 200. The G5 doesn't have the boot loop issue as far as I know.

It got a bad rap for the modular implementation but if you think of it as just a way to swap batteries it is nice to have.

Camera is impressive and the 820 processor is more than capable.

It should get Android O but not sure when.

I personally think it's a highly underrated phone but ymmv
I don't think it's an underrated phone whatsoever. The issue was that G5 debuted as a flagship phone with a price tag to match. Compared to the other phones at that price point like the Pixel and the Samsung S7 edge or even the G5's brother, the V20, the G5 had too many flaws and the modularity was so hyped that it was just doomed to be a disappointment... I still am baffled by their choice to use a coating on a premium metal body that makes it feel anything but...I would have liked powder coat even over this muck.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
My son just came home for the weekend and has the new G6. It is an awesome looking phone, and the screen aspect ratio is pretty cool. When comparing it to my G5, there really isn't much of a difference though. The camera's are comparable, size is about the same, and both run fluid and smooth. The G6 build quality seems much classier, but we both keep our phones in a case, so that kind of negates it. I have can swap out the battery, where my son can't.

If you can find the G5 for $200, then I say go for it. It's a great phone that, in my opinion, actually beats out today's mid range phones, and can hold it's own, even against the likes of the G6 and the S7's and 8's of the world.