Since I updated to android 7.0 my phone doesnt seem to stay connected at lte speeds. It does if I Reboot or turn airplane mode on then off but in a short while will drop back to just the H symbol that I think is 3.5G gsm service. Im on cricket wireless I called them an they say my network settings are correct but it still wont connect at 4G lte and stay connected where it always did with 6.0

Anyone see this or solve it already???
    05-17-2017 05:33 PM
    I can't seem to get it at all.
    05-21-2017 04:45 AM
    What provider are you on? Could you get it when the phone was running 6.0?
    Cricket says im in an area well covered and should have LTe.
    They checked all the network settings. They suggested it could be an issue with the new software. I called LG. They said they would put in a trouble report for me but thats all they could do since The phone still worked and HSpA is still a faster data connection. He suggested a Factory restore if I wasnted to may or may not help, but I could try if I wanted to go through with the back up and restore.
    05-21-2017 09:46 AM
    mikey1273: I'm having the same problem. (Details at end.) Were you able to get it solved? I also posted in a separate thread as I didn't see yours, mine is https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ed-4g-lte.html

As with your description, even sitting in a place with good 4G coverage, at some point my signal changes to "H" and stays there indefinitely. If I reboot the phone, or go in and out of airplane mode, it comes back to 4G. Then that all repeats.

My phone is new and upgraded immediately to Android 7.0 so I can't say if the problem was there in Android 6

My phone is the G5 RS988 variant (the LG unlocked version), on AT&T. I did take it into an AT&T store, they swapped me to a new sim card and monkeyed with some of the Access Point settings, but it didn't change anything. I will probably give them another try as the guy seemed somewhat knowledgable.

I'm currently in safe mode to see if that changes anything...

If you have figured anything out, please let me know!

Thanks!
    06-05-2017 01:09 PM
    It is definitely a Nougat problem. My wife has the same phone and is running Marshmallow and has no problems staying on 4G/LTE. I'm worried we will be waiting a while for an update from LG to fix this issue.
    06-06-2017 02:06 PM
    mike1273, cribNotes: what provider are you on, and what version of the G5 do you have (the one for your carrier, one from a different carrier, or the unlocked? Mine is the RS988, the unlocked one...)
    06-06-2017 03:18 PM
    snowplease: I am on AT&T with the RS988 unlocked. Upgraded my phone to Nougat. Did not upgrade my wife's RS988 from Marshmallow. She has no 4G/LTE connection issues.

Did your phone work before the upgrade to Nougat? I immediately upgraded mine to Nougat out of the box so I can't definitely say it worked before I upgraded.
    06-07-2017 08:25 AM
    My RS988 LTE issues on Cricket (AT&T network) started with the Nougat update. Before then my phone stayed on LTE.
    06-07-2017 10:10 AM
    cribNotes: I'm pretty much in your same boat. Upgraded to Nougat right out of the box so can't say if it was okay under marshmallow. I have a note in to LG, will probably try my local AT&T store again, see what happens. A suggestion on "my" other thread was to do a master reset --- but I'm pretty sure that would still leave nougat in place, so not sure whether to go down that path or just live with it...
    06-07-2017 01:02 PM
    I found a way to downgrade the phone here
    LG G5 Nougat update killed LTE

I'm personally not going to try it. Just easier for me to return the phone at this point.
    06-09-2017 07:16 AM
    I just received a software update (RS98821b >200MB) this morning that seems to have resolved my LTE issues. It also updated me to the May security release.
    06-12-2017 04:00 PM
    jefsayshi: wow, downloading now, fingers crossed! Thanks!
    06-12-2017 04:12 PM
    well damn. Did the update, but 4g problem persists. I'm working through the various permutations of APN and Network Settings that I've been trying, but none of them seems to get it done.

jefsayshi: were there any other things you tried along the way (maybe it is something that needed one of your settings plus the OS update to fix the 4g problem...)
    06-13-2017 10:34 AM
    snowplease: my LTE problems have come back as well, but seemingly less frequently (8-12 hours between needing a reset)
    06-14-2017 09:48 AM
    I have been off the Forum a while. My phone is the RS988 unlocked aswell.

What happened with mine is this, I comtacted LG once they asked me to factory reset the phone and see if that helped. It didnt so I responded to the incident they made an email to reply to if needed. I contacted Cricket they confirm that I was in areas with good LTE also.
    The next thing Lg did was ask for the phone to be sent to the repair center. They believed the update I recieved was corupted or failed to install properly. The repair was said to take 10 days and it took more due to shipping it in over the Memorial day holiday.

I got it back Wednesday. On the repair order it said they replaced the flash memory and charging port.

I powered it on with out my Sim card logged in to google only, connected to wifi. it was back 6.0 Marshmallow when powered on. From there it downloaded and installed the 7.0 upgrade, then downloaded and installed the may Security update. From there updated all the LG apps. Put in my Cricket sim and i have had LTE since. It has only switched to HSPa+ once inside a building, it went back to LTe on its own and I have not rebooted since Wednesday night.

I had to go buy a cheap phone at Target so I had something to make calls and send texts on while it was out for repair since I didnt have and old phone for a spare. I got an Alcatel Onetouch Flint for $40. It was actually a good phone for the money but not as good as the G5 at all.
    snowplease likes this.
    06-16-2017 12:51 PM
    mikey1273: thanks for that info, and congratulations. I did take a first step with LG and was discouraged that it sounded kinda like a dead end, so I'm heartened to hear that it worked for you. I may head down that path as well, although I really don't like all the steps that will be involved (from factory reset onward...)...

Thanks for the info!
    06-16-2017 01:29 PM
    mikey1273: thanks for that info, and congratulations. I did take a first step with LG and was discouraged that it sounded kinda like a dead end, so I'm heartened to hear that it worked for you. I may head down that path as well, although I really don't like all the steps that will be involved (from factory reset onward...)...

Thanks for the info!
    Agree I didnt like the fsctory reset either. If you go down that road back up to an Sd card with your files and pics. If you send it in they are going to wipe it anyhow . The more painful thing was that I didnt have a spare phone but do now. The wait to get it back is more than id want to be without a phone at all since I dont have a land line. A low $ phone worked in the mean time. Just do it before your warranty expires.
    06-16-2017 01:41 PM
    Since I updated to android 7.0 my phone doesnt seem to stay connected at lte speeds. It does if I Reboot or turn airplane mode on then off but in a short while will drop back to just the H symbol that I think is 3.5G gsm service. Im on cricket wireless I called them an they say my network settings are correct but it still wont connect at 4G lte and stay connected where it always did with 6.0

Anyone see this or solve it already???
    I bought a brand new LG G5 RS988 (Factory Unlocked) in July. Everything worked, and then Nougat was pushed out. Once I loaded it with Nougat, I immediately ceased connecting to LTE Band 17, which my network (Cricket) uses. I can still get service via LTE Bands 2 and 4, but we have a piece of family property where the only service available is via LTE Band 17.

Around the same time I bought my wife a new ZTE Axon 7 Mini. She is rocking Android 7.1 and gets full LTE Band 17 connectivity. My in-laws have much older, crappier phones and both get LTE Band 17.

I bought the G5 due to the fact it is advertised as being LTE Band 17 capable. Seriously. There are a few other phones I was considering. One or two didn’t have LTE Band 17 antennas, and I took them off my list. One that I should have gotten instead was the Motorola G5 Plus. Seriously should have pulled the trigger on that one. But, I wanted to avoid a Chinese – Lenovo phone.

Now, after contacting LG numerous times and being told I can turn it in for repair, only for it to be sent back to me on Nougat (meaning no LTE Band 17), I have a paper weight while away at the property with family. Its quite a shame seeing I have the most technologically advanced phone out of the group.

I was told LG was working on an update. Looks like that update was a security update only. No help to me.

Now I have to wait to see if Oreo, if we ever get it, will fix my issue.

I have checked all my settings. Done numerous resets and factory restores, etc. I have contacted Cricket. I have searched online for answers. I am not the only one with LTE Band 17 connectivity issues.

I wish LG would stand by the product and service and admit there may be an issue, and try and push an update to fix it. Should be a simple fix. Nougat killed LTE Band 17. Should be a simple re-write to have the software turn it back on.

Wont be going back to LG. Will likely end up upgrading shortly to a competitor. If it weren’t for the LTE Band 17 death………………. I am pretty happy with the phone. But, when I cant even check an email………………with a former flagship phone………… something is off.
    01-19-2018 02:33 PM
    I bought a brand new LG G5 RS988 (Factory Unlocked) in July. Everything worked, and then Nougat was pushed out. Once I loaded it with Nougat, I immediately ceased connecting to LTE Band 17, which my network (Cricket) uses. I can still get service via LTE Bands 2 and 4, but we have a piece of family property where the only service available is via LTE Band 17.

Around the same time I bought my wife a new ZTE Axon 7 Mini. She is rocking Android 7.1 and gets full LTE Band 17 connectivity. My in-laws have much older, crappier phones and both get LTE Band 17.

I bought the G5 due to the fact it is advertised as being LTE Band 17 capable. Seriously. There are a few other phones I was considering. One or two didn’t have LTE Band 17 antennas, and I took them off my list. One that I should have gotten instead was the Motorola G5 Plus. Seriously should have pulled the trigger on that one. But, I wanted to avoid a Chinese – Lenovo phone.

Now, after contacting LG numerous times and being told I can turn it in for repair, only for it to be sent back to me on Nougat (meaning no LTE Band 17), I have a paper weight while away at the property with family. Its quite a shame seeing I have the most technologically advanced phone out of the group.

I was told LG was working on an update. Looks like that update was a security update only. No help to me.

Now I have to wait to see if Oreo, if we ever get it, will fix my issue.

I have checked all my settings. Done numerous resets and factory restores, etc. I have contacted Cricket. I have searched online for answers. I am not the only one with LTE Band 17 connectivity issues.

I wish LG would stand by the product and service and admit there may be an issue, and try and push an update to fix it. Should be a simple fix. Nougat killed LTE Band 17. Should be a simple re-write to have the software turn it back on.

Wont be going back to LG. Will likely end up upgrading shortly to a competitor. If it weren’t for the LTE Band 17 death………………. I am pretty happy with the phone. But, when I cant even check an email………………with a former flagship phone………… something is off.
    For me, I have not idea whether the Band 17 issue is my problem or not. For mine, at home (where I experience the problem) I'm connected to Band 2 and then at some point it loses the 4G-LTE, as we've all described. On my current (temporary replacement) HTC One m8, I'm also connecting to Band 2, but with no problem. When I visited Los Angeles with my LG G5, it stayed on 4G-LTE no problem all over the place, there it was always band 2. So, for me, I'm not sure that Band 17 is the issue.

I finally bit the bullet and sent the phone in (being that Mikey1273 said that it indeed fixed the problem for him)... supposed to be back Tuesday, so got my fingers crossed for a fix. I'll let y'all know...
    01-19-2018 03:00 PM
    For me, I have not idea whether the Band 17 issue is my problem or not. For mine, at home (where I experience the problem) I'm connected to Band 2 and then at some point it loses the 4G-LTE, as we've all described. On my current (temporary replacement) HTC One m8, I'm also connecting to Band 2, but with no problem. When I visited Los Angeles with my LG G5, it stayed on 4G-LTE no problem all over the place, there it was always band 2. So, for me, I'm not sure that Band 17 is the issue.

I finally bit the bullet and sent the phone in (being that Mikey1273 said that it indeed fixed the problem for him)... supposed to be back Tuesday, so got my fingers crossed for a fix. I'll let y'all know...
    Mine is still indeed working on LTE. In my area they use band 2 and 17. When I got my phone back it was the same phone,iemi same as I send in. Was back at 6.0 I connected to wifi only and updated to 7.0 then put in my sim. Been working perfectly since.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
    01-19-2018 04:25 PM
    Mine is still indeed working on LTE. In my area they use band 2 and 17. When I got my phone back it was the same phone,iemi same as I send in. Was back at 6.0 I connected to wifi only and updated to 7.0 then put in my sim. Been working perfectly since.

Thanks, Mikey, I'll plan to duplicate those steps. Great reminder --- I hadn't thought about it for a while!
    01-19-2018 04:32 PM
    Thanks, Mikey, I'll plan to duplicate those steps. Great reminder --- I hadn't thought about it for a while!
    I dont know if that set of steps is critical but its what I did and had success. Also it will take 7 to 10 days end to end to send it and get it back. Longer if you send it over a holiday like I did. If you dont have a back up phone like I didnt go get a cheap one. I got an cricket Alcatel flint at target for $30 and just put my sim in while my Lg was out.

01-19-2018 04:36 PM
    I dont know if that set of steps is critical but its what I did and had success. Also it will take 7 to 10 days end to end to send it and get it back. Longer if you send it over a holiday like I did. If you dont have a back up phone like I didnt go get a cheap one. I got an cricket Alcatel flint at target for $30 and just put my sim in while my Lg was out.

Well, dang, phone came back and still having the same problem, actually worse, as it won't stay on 4G-LTE for longer than a minute now. It came back still in Android 7, so I'm thinking they didn't really do anything other than power it on and see that they thought it was working, and send it back... trying to decide whether to try one more time, or to just give up...
    01-28-2018 09:11 PM
    Dam that sucks sorry it didnt work out for you.
    01-29-2018 07:34 AM