It appears on my LG G5, some the core apps aren't working as I think they should. For example, the icon badge of unread messages, notifications, etc. aren't updating, the Messaging app can't properly display some MMS messages, etc.
    06-05-2017 11:26 AM
    Welcome to the forum. Core apps, as you call them, may be updated from time to time and would come from Galaxy Apps as they are release. Some also may not be designed to work as you think they should. For your last point, the default text app can't display MMS, you'd have to use Messages+ or a different app.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-05-2017 02:23 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Updating preinstalled/core apps may depend on the manufacturer. Some manufacturers (like Lenovo) make at least some of their core apps available in the Play Store, which makes it easy to update them. Others only update them as part of a system update. When I searched for LG in the Play Store, I didn't see any of the main preinstalled apps, so they probably have to be updated through a system update. (BTW, @PJRed2008, the OP has an LG, not a Samsung device.)

Unread count badges can sometimes get stuck. Try going to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, then look for something called BadgeProvider (or similar). Select it, then Clear Cache/Clear Data. Now see if the badges work again.

Can you give some more detail about the messaging app's problem with certain MMS messages? Does it say "Tap to Download"?
    anon(238680) likes this.
    06-05-2017 02:42 PM
    Oops, thanks for the note @B. Diddy !
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-05-2017 03:52 PM
    Welcome to the forum. Core apps, as you call them, may be updated from time to time and would come from Galaxy Apps as they are release. Some also may not be designed to work as you think they should. For your last point, the default text app can't display MMS, you'd have to use Messages+ or a different app.
    [/url]
    Thanks. Ya, it's odd. The Messaging app can handle some MMS messages but not all. Anyways, I've opted for Android Messages app and that works like a charm.
    07-04-2017 03:34 PM
    Yup, they're not a part of the Play Store. When you do look up the apps via Settings > General tab > About phone > Update Center > App Updates, it lists the core apps and this icon to the right of it but doesn't appear to do anything.

I don't see the BadgeProvider listed.

Anyways, I think my problems will all go away if I backup and do a factory reset. I just hope I won't lose anything.
    07-04-2017 03:37 PM
    Anyways, I've opted for Android Messages app and that works like a charm.
    Glad you got it worked out
    07-04-2017 04:28 PM