LG G5 main rear camera is not focusing (blurry pictures)

AlternativeFacts

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
LG G5 Main rear camera is not focusing (blurry pictures)

Hello:

I have a LG G5 (H831 running Android 7.0). Cameras were all working fine since new but now the main rear camera (non-wide angle) will not focus. I have searched on the web and there is no clear answer what the issue may be. Several LG G5 owners have the same issue. Even replacing the camera for some has not helped.

Things that I done so far (none have helped):

1. LG Camera App
- Forced closed
- Cleared memory
- Cleared Cache
- Tested manual focus. It does nothing. Note the sound heard during manual focus changes are App generated and not the actual auto-focus motor (turn volume down and they go away).
- Camera is in-focus only at about 1 foot (30 cm).
- Tested that the auto-focus led is working by looking at it with a camera – I can see it flashing – not sure if that means it is working 100%. You can also test this by doing a video with the LG G5 camera pointed at a mirror (couple feet away).

2. Other Camera Apps
- They don’t work either.

3. Phone
- Phone reset (do backup and watch out for Google Authenticator requirement using the same phone being reset – get list of printed codes to use)
- Gently tapped phone – okay maybe more than gently (to see if mechanism unsticks)

Questions:
- Is the focus mechanism built into the camera?
- Would the only other suspect hardware item be the auto-focus LED flash assembly?

Current options
- Even though others have indicated that a camera replacement didn’t work, I will probably have to order the camera and LED board. (warranty has expired)
- Any other options suggested here.

bruiser49

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem, android 7.0, out of warranty, and replacing the camera did not help. I know two other owners, running android 6.0, and all 3 of their cameras work properly. Trying to work up courage to flash mine from 7.0 back down to 6.0.

cheetah143

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem also, it's a hardware issue, contacted lg and sent my phone back for a replacement. haven't had any problems since.

Ramsy

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
My AT&T version of the LG G5 just started experiencing the exact same problems. I contacted a local repair facility. They told me they have recently had 3 phones come in with the exact same problems. They replaced the cameras in all 3 units and it did not fix the problem. I just sent my phone in today to LG.

ACloud89

Nov 13, 2017
Visit site
I also have the same issue. I believe it was after the 7.0 update when it started happening. I also factory reset my phone, which did not help. I'm hoping a new update will come out soon... Note that if you zoom out to use the wide angle camera, that one does not blur, so I use that for now.

chaffeypj

Dec 28, 2017
Visit site
I also have the same issue. I believe it was after the 7.0 update when it started happening. I also factory reset my phone, which did not help. I'm hoping a new update will come out soon... Note that if you zoom out to use the wide angle camera, that one does not blur, so I use that for now.

I have NEVER dropped or abused my phone in any way. My camera worked GREAt unitlt he recent update adn now it doesn't focus when I zoom in. It still hasa great picture when using the fish eye or zoom out. I also noticed a DRAMATIC decerease in my battery usage time. It can die as aquick as 2 hours after being fully charged! I beleieve it is a software issue...ifnot, I am DONE with LG as I bought this model SPECIFICALLY for the CAMERA as it was the best on the market when purchased!

aimybutt123

May 26, 2018
Visit site
Guys
It's not because of the update. I have never updated my phone between the time it was working well and now that it is all blurr rear angle camera. So, it could not be because of the update. Any update????

cheetah143

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Well this is not a software problem this is my second time with the blurry rear camera, had to fix it myself since warranty is up. luckily it's only a 20$ fix thru ebay, replaced rear camera with a new one problem gone! back to normal again. Hope this helps someone, just make sure it's a oem new camera.

ACloud89

Nov 13, 2017
Visit site
I used to think it was a software update, but I just replaced my camera with one I got online and it works now. It was super hard to separate the screen from the body, but that was by far the hardest part. Took me 30 min to replace the camera in total, and it cost $25. Best to start the pry tool from the very bottom of the phone and work your way up and even use a credit card to keep the opposite side that you're working on from coming back down.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a G5 a few weeks ago, and unfortunately it suffered from this same issue. Got an alleged oem camera module on eBay and replaced it, and it works great. Now if only I could fix LG's overly aggressive image processing, so the pics would be as good as the ones my Nexus 5X can take..

gregkuhn

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the very same problem and the following procedure worked for me:
Settings>General>Apps>3dots(top right)>ShowSystem
Then roll over to the the Camera App and open it.
Click Storage and in there Clear Cache then Clear Data, click OK. In that order, Cache First, then Data.
Done this, hold the Power Button to bring the Power Options.
Then hold the "Power Off" option. Don't click. By holding it the Safe Mode option will pop up.
The phone will restart in Safe Mode. Once there, wait around 2 minutes and reboot the phone.

You'll be back to your phone as normal and the camera will still not work.
So those instructions were given to me by a customer service representative by the phones. I'm not sure how they influence the overall fixing of the camera. But only those steps didn't. After done all that was instructed, I did on my own will the following procedure:
Opened the Camera App, clicked the 3 Dots button on the top left (considering your phone is on the horizontal. BTW, pictures should be taken that way), and entered Manual Mode.
I believe that's the most important part. On the botton there will be six buttons, the second one is MF (Manual Focus).
So what I noticed is I was able to focus on objects really close to me using the dial that pops up on the left. So I brought the focus point to the object close to me. By having something on focus I went back to Auto Mode and voilà! It works just fine back again from then on.
Good luck!

Alarane

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Opened the Camera App, clicked the 3 Dots button on the top left (considering your phone is on the horizontal. BTW, pictures should be taken that way), and entered Manual Mode.
I believe that's the most important part. On the botton there will be six buttons, the second one is MF (Manual Focus).
So what I noticed is I was able to focus on objects really close to me using the dial that pops up on the left. So I brought the focus point to the object close to me. By having something on focus I went back to Auto Mode and voilà! It works just fine back again from then on.
Good luck!

I had the same problem, wide camera was ok but since a moment the rear non-wide camera didn't focus.

Frankly, I tried this without thinking it would work, well it is not a 100% success, but it is a great step.

My rear non-wide camera is focusing normaly now ... but only from 0 to 25cm.

Well it didn'tworked at all before, so it is ok for me, but I quite use the wide camera only, my phone is not my camera, knowing when I can use it is ok for me.

Thanks a lot !!!

catnwayne

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem, android 7.0, out of warranty, and replacing the camera did not help. I know two other owners, running android 6.0, and all 3 of their cameras work properly. Trying to work up courage to flash mine from 7.0 back down to 6.0.

I am having the same issue with mine..

androidluv23

Oct 15, 2019
Visit site
Same problem, my main rear camera was not focusing but my wide view camera works fine.

I sort of fixed mine (I'm on android 8.0 - in case it makes a difference). Doing some of the steps gregkuhn suggested.

I did this by going to: settings > apps&notifications > app info >Camera

Here I would suggest clicking force stop.
Then after you do that go to storage: clear cache and clear data (in that order).

Press power button (long press so you go on safe mode) While on safe mode I cleared the cache and clear data as described above. I also went to settings > smart cleaning> Temporary files and cleared only the cached data.

Then I turned my phone back off and on.

Checked the camera it was working. However, it's not really a permanent solution as it goes back at times to being blurry but this time looks like I just have to close the app and re-open or clear cache of the camera to get it to work properly.

**I also cleaned my phone rear camera with alcohol swab to make sure nothing was causing it to not focus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes