Are you still happy with your G5?

barotropic

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I bought a brand new LG G5 RS988 (Factory Unlocked) in July. Everything worked, and then Nougat was pushed out. Once I loaded it with Nougat, I immediately ceased connecting to LTE Band 17, which my network (Cricket) uses. I can still get service via LTE Bands 2 and 4, but we have a piece of family property where the only service available is via LTE Band 17.

Around the same time I bought my wife a new ZTE Axon 7 Mini. She is rocking Android 7.1 and gets full LTE Band 17 connectivity. My in-laws have much older, crappier phones and both get LTE Band 17.

I bought the G5 due to the fact it is advertised as being LTE Band 17 capable. Seriously. There are a few other phones I was considering. One or two didn’t have LTE Band 17 antennas, and I took them off my list. One that I should have gotten instead was the Motorola G5 Plus. Seriously should have pulled the trigger on that one. But, I wanted to avoid a Chinese – Lenovo phone.

Now, after contacting LG numerous times and being told I can turn it in for repair, only for it to be sent back to me on Nougat (meaning no LTE Band 17), I have a paper weight while away at the property with family. Its quite a shame seeing I have the most technologically advanced phone out of the group.

I was told LG was working on an update. Looks like that update was a security update only. No help to me.

Now I have to wait to see if Oreo, if we ever get it, will fix my issue.

I have checked all my settings. Done numerous resets and factory restores, etc. I have contacted Cricket. I have searched online for answers. I am not the only one with LTE Band 17 connectivity issues.

I wish LG would stand by the product and service and admit there may be an issue, and try and push an update to fix it. Should be a simple fix. Nougat killed LTE Band 17. Should be a simple re-write to have the software turn it back on.

Wont be going back to LG. Will likely end up upgrading shortly to a competitor. If it weren’t for the LTE Band 17 death………………. I am pretty happy with the phone. But, when I cant even check an email………………with a former flagship phone………… something is off.
I also have an RS988, using it on Cricket, and can confirm the Band 17 issue. I have done comparisons in various locations using the G5 and a Nexus 5X. The 5X always maintains an LTE signal, and frequently selects Band 17. In those locations, the G5 stays on Band 2,4, or 5, and the signal drops to HSPA.

Fortunately, in my area, I can always maintains a connection without Band 17, albeit sometimes a slow connection.

I have contacted LG twice, asking them to report this discrepancy to the engineers so that it can be corrected in a software update. I'm fairly certain that will not happen.

Other than that, the G5 has been a great phone for my needs.

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
No problems, works great, battery still good. Best FP sensor.
Always been in an OtterBox. It is my regular, always with me.
Bought it Used, just over a year ago, came with a spare battery and standalone charger that turned out to be for the G4. Otherwise a great purchase.
I bought a used Note 4, a few weeks after, but without an OtterBox, it stays home for the couch. Just bought a new battery last week. Fingerprint sensor sucks, compared to the G5. Looking for a very cheap OtterBox so I can use it mobile.
Craigslist is awesome, if you are careful!!!
I also have the Microsoft 950XL that I got on release day. The most disappointing device I have ever bought. However, Windows Phone, BT, Read and Reply to Text, is the Best!
I am officially done with my "New" Smartphone addiction, but my device Lust is still strong.

cc99

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
So far very good purchase! Really like the functions both hardware (battery, camera) and the software. Purchased last year when it was on clearance...the unlocked version from Best Buy. For a little over $200 it was a steal! Been on a few vacations where I used the camera accessory, worked OK. Liked the panorama and other options. I agree with most of the other posts, but have not seen any of the negative issues (luck). Would buy a similar phone in the future.....or will hold on to this one for a long time!

Moss McMossface

Apr 16, 2018
Visit site
Rear camera focus issue

Any others with same issue?

My G5's rear camera also quit focusing a couple months ago, shortly after the 7.0 update. Judging by other android forums, it's a widespread issue, and isn't resolved by replacing the camera (in addition to factory reset, etc). This would point to a software issue, but so far LG hasn't copped to that.
As much as I like the G5's wide angle lens, I think the G4 (my last phone) had a slightly better main camera. I might just look for an old refurbished one.

lever2000

May 4, 2017
Visit site
4 months into on my second G5 still running great and sooo much better than the first one i had,this one i bought with nougat 7.0 what a hug difference.

Dillon F

Apr 17, 2018
Visit site
So, we've all had our G5s for a bit now. Lots of new phones out on the market. I'm wondering if you are still happy with your G5 and if so, why?

Have you done anything to make the phone more functional since you bought it?

thanks
Derek

2 years as of the 10th of this month, phone was decent, poor battery life on both batteries I have for the phone. Rear primary camera refuses to focus and has been like that for some time now. Phone runs 7.0 pretty slow in my opinion. New issue has started just before the 2 year mark, fingerprint reader has malfunctioned, in a way where it refuses to read any finger with just a slight tap on lock button. Sometimes the settings panel will only read security instead of fingerprints and security as if the phone has no fingerprint hardware. In the end, I can't wait to give this phone back to AT&T and get myself a GS9.

Araxxis

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Is band 17 actually a problem tho? If you look at new phones none of them even have it, hence i would assume band 17 is going to eventually be going away entirely. I am also on cricket but i have no idea what is used around me, my zip code is 55021 if someone is nice enough to check :)

Musashi Myamoto

Jun 7, 2018
Visit site
Dillon, amazon sells replacement batteries for $ 16. But make sure it's the right model (notch down and most importantly, the side of +/-, very important). The fingerprint reader malfunctions when the battery is at the end of its life. And after 2 years, scanning the fingerprints again would be a good idea. The imprint changes over the years (dead skin, wound, finger wet, ...).

After installing my new battery, I gained a lot in energy/time and my fingerprint reader was back in use.

Gourken

Jun 27, 2018
Visit site
I have had my LG G5 for the better part of 2 years and am still generally happy with it but that happiness comes with a very large BUT. I would never buy one again without buying a case for it.

I purchased the G5 for three reasons. First, I wanted a metal case that would not deform if it was carried in my back pocket and it should have provided a bit more protection for the screen if dropped. Second, I wanted a good camera (and the G5 seemed to have a great camera). Third, I loved the idea of a replaceable battery and the modular nature of the phone should have made that dead easy and it meant that one should not have to deal with batteries that won't hold a charge any longer.

The metal case is just fine, but it does not provide any protection for drops - you need a case for the phone. The camera was fantastic, but the original lens on the outside of the phone was bubble shaped (helping with the focus) and it sticks out from the phone. If you place the phone on its back the lens quickly gets scratched and then broken because there is absolutely no protection for it. The replacement lens used by phone repair shops is completely flat and the images suffer as a result. The design of the case did not take the shape of the external lens into account and this is a real problem. Again...you really need a protective case if you want this phone.

Finally, the modular design is a great idea, but for the longest time, there was no way to buy a new battery for the phone in Canada short of ordering it from China. When you offer a modular device, you have to provide modules that take advantage of the design for sale when you bring the phone to market. Also, the USB-C connector at the base of the battery gets "tired" over time and the cable gets loose and falls out in the middle of a charge. It would be great if you could buy a new connector for the phone to keep the connections tight.

There is a lot of good stuff to say about this phone, but it REALLY needs a case that protects the camera lens, the screen and the various openings in the phone.

Midas1x

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
Re: Rear camera focus issue

I really like my g5!! I've had it for 7 months so far and it's a great phone. The rear camera focus is a little weird sometimes in low light but in daylight the HDR shots look superb. Almost Nikon quality. The GSM on this unit didn't work at all when I got it. Fixed it and the volume buttons and the scratched up camera lens. Works amazingly well now!! Gsm links up with satcom signals even in a massive signal trap office building.

The curved LCD is my only gripe. LoL

My G5 config -

Supershieldz screen protector
Perfine 2800 mah battery
THQ 2800 mah battery spare
Diztronic TPU silicone slim case
Amazon / blue rigger cables

lever2000

May 4, 2017
Visit site
The only issue I have is the GPS is horrible, can't be used at all for navigation, will loose signals with clear of the skyat any time.

Midas1x

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
The only issue I have is the GPS is horrible, can't be used at all for navigation, will loose signals with clear of the skyat any time.

Hmm. From what I've heard about the technical data sheet for the g5, it has frame connection contacts for the antenna. So if your phone is subjected to torsion or twisting, the contacts may separate. Only takes 0.1mm. The volume buttons are also sensitive to any frame warping. Also may depend on the app you're using for GPS fix. Some apps out there are pure junk. The image shows a screen capture of a free GPS status I downloaded from Google play. Holding upside down, in my apartment with dishwasher & laundry going at the same time. Microwave will definitely mess up the signal. LoL. If you let the phone "home in" on one or more sats it will start using relay signals to get a fix from the remaining ones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-15-13-08-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-07-15-13-08-00.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 32

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. From what I've heard about the technical data sheet for the g5, it has frame connection contacts for the antenna. So if your phone is subjected to torsion or twisting, the contacts may separate. Only takes 0.1mm. The volume buttons are also sensitive to any frame warping. Also may depend on the app you're using for GPS fix. Some apps out there are pure junk. The image shows a screen capture of a free GPS status I downloaded from Google play. Holding upside down, in my apartment with dishwasher & laundry going at the same time. Microwave will definitely mess up the signal. LoL. If you let the phone "home in" on one or more sats it will start using relay signals to get a fix from the remaining ones.

This is exactly what happened to my gps. Was able to open it and put some paper behind the contacts to raise them a bit. Unfortunately I had to sacrifice the volume up key because that has stopped working. Not a big deal since it's just my kids phone and they can use the volume slider on pull down menu.

I moved to the V30+ and while a good phone there are things I miss about the G5. Yeah it's kind of ugly but at least it has character. The notification light, IR remote and removable batteries are pretty nice to have. I find the battery to be almost just as good as my V30 which doesn't say much for the v30 I guess.

I have tried to sell people on using the G5 as a great child's phone. Stick Google family link on it and it's super nice. It had solid battery life, the dual cameras are great...my 9 yo daughter loves to take pictures with the wide angle camera and they actually look good! Kids tablets have awful cameras and the software is usually terrible. I end up having to fix them all the time.

With the price you can get a G5 these days, it's dang steal if you ask me.

Element1989

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Love my g5, except for the 16mp camera. This quit focusing properly after about 3 months (2000 pics). Cleared cache, factory reset 3 times, and replaced the camera. No improvement. Running nougat 7.0.
Bought it used, so no warranty. Any others with same issue?

I have the exact same issue - Phone works well enough after 2 years, battery is acceptable (considering replacing, seem to be decent reviews on some amazon replacements for ~$20).

My only real issue is the 16 MP camera, like Bruiser49, mine lost the ability to focus and I'm stuck with using the wide-angle lens. While its useful, sometime you just want a normal photo!

I was just about to order replacement 16MP module and swap it out - you're telling me you still have the same issue after replacement? Is it not a hardware issue...? this doesn't make sense to me!

Midas1x

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
Got the new Oreo 8.0 update! GUI Looks nice & polished. Battery use is 20% improved! However.. The GPS 🛰 is now thoroughly broken.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same issue - Phone works well enough after 2 years, battery is acceptable (considering replacing, seem to be decent reviews on some amazon replacements for ~$20).

My only real issue is the 16 MP camera, like Bruiser49, mine lost the ability to focus and I'm stuck with using the wide-angle lens. While its useful, sometime you just want a normal photo!

I was just about to order replacement 16MP module and swap it out - you're telling me you still have the same issue after replacement? Is it not a hardware issue...? this doesn't make sense to me!
I got mine from eBay, and the main camera wouldn't focus. I replaced it with one from eBay and it works perfectly now.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm still very happy with mine! It's really my old phone which always becomes my wife's new phone. But she hasn't started using it yet. (still using her original Nexus 4 which is another phone made by LG) It's not really being used.
The GPS on it always has been an issue. A real pain in the rear.
Everything else still works like brand new and its pristine in physical condition. Always had it in a minimalist case plus I have a dBrand skin on it.
The only reason I'm not using it is I have a V20 now.

thecaringkind

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I picked up an unlocked used LG G5 from eBay about a week ago. I bought a slim grippy case for it and two 3500mAh batteries with charging cradle. It's running Android Oreo and it's been fine. Battery life is good. Much better with the larger batteries, the OEM 2800 powerpack is criminal...the screen has been crisp and fairly accurate color wise. It could be a little brighter outside but it's manageable. The camera has been great, taking clean crisp photos and the wide angle lense is great. The GPS on the phone works it just seems sluggish. Overall the device is working very well. It is running pretty smoothly with not much lag at all, just the occasional app crash which was happening on my Essential Phone which was running Android Pie and has a much more powerful chipset. The fact that I am able to rock the G5 as my daily driver for about $90 bucks with battery life for literal days is quite the coup for me

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I picked up an unlocked used LG G5 from eBay about a week ago. I bought a slim grippy case for it and two 3500mAh batteries with charging cradle. It's running Android Oreo and it's been fine. Battery life is good. Much better with the larger batteries, the OEM 2800 powerpack is criminal...the screen has been crisp and fairly accurate color wise. It could be a little brighter outside but it's manageable. The camera has been great, taking clean crisp photos and the wide angle lense is great. The GPS on the phone works it just seems sluggish. Overall the device is working very well. It is running pretty smoothly with not much lag at all, just the occasional app crash which was happening on my Essential Phone which was running Android Pie and has a much more powerful chipset. The fact that I am able to rock the G5 as my daily driver for about $90 bucks with battery life for literal days is quite the coup for me

Only complaint I had about the G5 was the reception. Other than that the phone was solid but no reception = not worth it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance