How do I get my LG G5 back, from the stupid Android update today?!

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
My LG G5 just got an Android update today and it installed some kind of weird new skin. It didn't ask me if I WANTED it, but gave me 3 choices of something, and I didn't even know what they were, but had to pick one, or not be allowed to use the phone!

After I picked it, my apps were half missing and moved all over the place and a clock and weather thing were covering up my screen photo! I cant even drag my app icons where I want them now!

What is going on, and how can I get rid of this stupid thing and get my phone back the way it was?!

9-22-18: I'm trying to reply to your reply, but it won't let me!

Last edited:

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, but you can't roll back a system update. Do you know what the update included? Was it an upgrade from Nougat to Oreo?

It sounds like you selected EasyHome: https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/lg_g5/using_easyhome.html#step=1

Ah ok, it finally let me reply to this!

It says now running Android 8.

Yeah, I think it was that EasyHome thing that fouled everything up! How do I get rid of that?!

It wouldn't let me use the phone when I needed to, until I answered 1 of 3 choices, then it messed up everything. I cant move apps around the screen anymore - they're stuck in alphabetical order! I HATE THIS!!!

I just tried tapping the blank area of the screen and nothing happens unless I tap twice, then the screen goes black. I cant get into that menu.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Ah ok, it finally let me reply to this!

It says now running Android 8.

Yeah, I think it was that EasyHome thing that fouled everything up! How do I get rid of that?!

It wouldn't let me use the phone when I needed to, until I answered 1 of 3 choices, then it messed up everything. I cant move apps around the screen anymore - they're stuck in alphabetical order! I HATE THIS!!!

I just tried tapping the blank area of the screen and nothing happens unless I tap twice, then the screen goes black. I cant get into that menu.
Try this, go to settings - display - home screen - home - select Home & app drawer.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Try this, go to settings - display - home screen - home - select Home & app drawer.

Ok, that works, thanks, but I have no idea what this EasyHome is supposed to do, or how to get rid of it. I want my old screen set up back! To be able to drag apps to where I want them, on whichever screen!

Are they inflicting this EasyHome on us, to try to get us to upgade the phone - JUST to get rid of it?

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I played with the EasyHome settings and the just plain Home one, got me back to my old setup, and being able to drag apps where I want them again. THANK YOU, GUYS!!!

But someone was saying that Android 8 eats battery? We drove around for a few hours today, using Google Maps some of the time, and my Chess Free app for a small amount of time, and the battery went from 100% down to 33%. Jeez...

I've tried, in the past, to find out what apps were dragging the battery down, and Gsam says that it cant tell that, without rooting the phone, which I know little about, but understand it's dangerous and you can wind up with a $400 brick.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I played with the EasyHome settings and the just plain Home one, got me back to my old setup, and being able to drag apps where I want them again. THANK YOU, GUYS!!!

But someone was saying that Android 8 eats battery? We drove around for a few hours today, using Google Maps some of the time, and my Chess Free app for a small amount of time, and the battery went from 100% down to 33%. Jeez...

I've tried, in the past, to find out what apps were dragging the battery down, and Gsam says that it cant tell that, without rooting the phone, which I know little about, but understand it's dangerous and you can wind up with a $400 brick.
How was your signal strength in the areas where you were driving around? If signal strength is weak, then the battery will drain whilst the device is struggling to connect to the mobile networks.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Glad you managed to fix that issue! Now about the battery, what do you get in your stock battery stats (settings - battery)? Any app or process showing a very high percentage?

If you prefer I could move your thread to the LG G5 forum where it would be easier getting feedback from other owners.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
How was your signal strength in the areas where you were driving around? If signal strength is weak, then the battery will drain whilst the device is struggling to connect to the mobile networks.

Not sure - must have varied. But I also connect to home wifi while at home, and unless I remember to turn it off when I go out, I THINK Google Maps can keep searching for it while I'm out, instead of using the phone network.

But I wish there was an app that could give a list of what apps are using the battery, without rooting.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Glad you managed to fix that issue! Now about the battery, what do you get in your stock battery stats (settings - battery)? Any app or process showing a very high percentage?

If you prefer I could move your thread to the LG G5 forum where it would be easier getting feedback from other owners.

Sure, and THANK YOU ALL!

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site

Oops, sorry for missing this.

I had 100% when we went out, about 2-1/2 hours ago. Now 40%.

Looking at GSAM: Screen 17%, Held awake 10%. App usage 71%. Wifi active 1%. Phone radio 1%.

I played chess during lunch, that was about all.

Like I mentioned, I looked into finding out what apps are responsible, but GSam said that it cant tell me that without rooting.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Oops, sorry for missing this.

I had 100% when we went out, about 2-1/2 hours ago. Now 40%.

Looking at GSAM: Screen 17%, Held awake 10%. App usage 71%. Wifi active 1%. Phone radio 1%.

I played chess during lunch, that was about all.

Like I mentioned, I looked into finding out what apps are responsible, but GSam said that it cant tell me that without rooting.
No worries! :) Yeah, Gsam is not as good as before unless you root.

It seems that you have an app(s) using a lot of battery. Can't you get more details on the stock battery stats? There should be a section where you can see battery usage app by app (scroll the battery settings screen all the way down). If not try that app I linked before, complete a battery cycle and see what you get.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
No worries! :) Yeah, Gsam is not as good as before unless you root.

It seems that you have an app(s) using a lot of battery. Can't you get more details on the stock battery stats? There should be a section where you can see battery usage app by app (scroll the battery settings screen all the way down). If not try that app I linked before, complete a battery cycle and see what you get.

Ok thanks! Doing it now...

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Dude! It sounds like you should spend more time reading G5 forum stuff to learn about it.
If you go to your settings and tap the "Build Number" seven times android will grant you "developer options".
In "developer options" go to the sixth entry called "Running Services"
In there you can find out what is draining your battery and shut it off.
Be careful in the "developer options" though. Like it says, it's for users that know a thing or two.
Also...
You can contact Flyingkytz. He just did a fairly extensive write up about battery drain and how to stop a lot of it somewhere in the V20 forum, I believe.
Good luck!
PS...
It sounds like I might want to just forget about Android 8 for now.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Also when you first do a major update like this, your phone takes a bit of time (sometimes as much as a week) to settle.

You can wait it out or some of us do a factory data reset too rid the cobwebs. That route would have you spending some time setting up your phone again though.

I'd say give it a week before you panic. Maybe clear the cache.

Either way, good luck. Post back if you find something out of the ordinary and we can try and help.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Dude! It sounds like you should spend more time reading G5 forum stuff to learn about it.
If you go to your settings and tap the "Build Number" seven times android will grant you "developer options".

Dude! I cant think of a much better way for me - a novice user, to brick my phone, than to delve into that. :)

In "developer options" go to the sixth entry called "Running Services"
In there you can find out what is draining your battery and shut it off.

Well ok, it's tempting, if I just keep it that simple. :)

Be careful in the "developer options" though. Like it says, it's for users that know a thing or two.

Huh...yeah. :)

Also...
You can contact Flyingkytz. He just did a fairly extensive write up about battery drain and how to stop a lot of it somewhere in the V20 forum, I believe.
Good luck!

Thanks Greendog. Let me see what that other battery app mentioned above, can do first. :)

PS...
It sounds like I might want to just forget about Android 8 for now.

Hard to do, with it residing on my phone now. :)

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Dude! I cant think of a much better way for me - a novice user, to brick my phone, than to delve into that. :)

Well ok, it's tempting, if I just keep it that simple. :)

Huh...yeah. :)

Thanks Greendog. Let me see what that other battery app mentioned above, can do first. :)

Hard to do, with it residing on my phone now. :)
You can't brick your phone by enabling the developer options. Don't worry about that. Just do what I suggested and don't tinker around with other things.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084