Can you help me make sense of this screen in the settings?

johnr250

Jan 11, 2021
Visit site
I just stumbled onto this screen in my phone's settings. It seems to have many settings that would be very useful to me. However, some of the settings aren't very clear to me. Could someone help locate the instructions for this settings page? Or if not, I can of course ask questions about the parts that I'm unsure of :) Also, how can I get to this particular settings page if I want to go back here in the future to change things? I'm using an LG G6 running Android 8.0.0. Thanks!

Screenshot_2021-01-11-03-44-36.jpg
Screenshot_2021-01-11-03-44-54.jpg

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That looks like the app info for the Android System system app. You get there by going to Settings>Apps, then tapping Menu>Show System, and then looking for it alphabetically.

Since it's the main system app, I wouldn't recommend messing around with the settings too much. As you can see, a number of the settings are greyed out, so the user can't modify them in the first place.

johnr250

Jan 11, 2021
Visit site
Well, what caught my attention is there are settings for "network available" and "network status".

Quite a while ago, I was becoming very annoyed by the constant beeping from my phone whenever it would gain or lose a signal. Because I am often in locations that have spotty reception, these alerts would go off frequently, and since the alert sound is the same as that for a text message I would always check the phone, find no messages, and wonder what the alert could have been for. I checked around and nobody knew how to disable them so I ultimately resorted to always keeping the phone in "do not disturb" mode and manually whitelisting phone calls and other apps that I do want to hear from. That effectively silenced those alerts with minimal side-effects. Clearly it's not the optimal way to go about it, but it was the only way I could.

So I'm wondering now if either of these two settings would do the same thing.

I also see a setting for "network alerts" - do you know what that is?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how Network Alerts would differ from Network Status. Since those are greyed out, you can't turn them off completely, but what happens if you tap the words or the 3-dot context menu button? Does it give you an option to change the level of importance?

johnr250

Jan 11, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I can tap on the three dots and change the level of importance. So I changed it to low. I think this will do what I want. Too bad there seems to be no manual for android users who want to tinker with the settings, but it is what it is. Thanks for the help.