So no 835?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Die shrink, less heat, better battery life efficiency and support faster I/O between memory and storage.

But I would bet it won't be real happy on 7.anything until 8.0 is churned out.

Life on bleeding edge.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nope we can't lol. You can, but the collective we that is the tech community as a whole will probably always want the latest and greatest. I know for me, I already have an S7 edge, so that's like a 700 dollar device. It has the 820. Don't really consider the 821 an upgrade so I'm not spending another 6-700 to "upgrade" to a device with that processor. You can argue that the device isn't marketed to me, which is true. But I'm still gonna upgrade this year, and because of an old processor (I know most will say it's not old) LG has no shot at getting my money.

The difference with the 821 is that it will support Android 8.0 and the 820 requires further support from Qualcomm if that is a concern.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So innovation should stop because we should all just be content with what we have? If that was the case we wouldn't have these mini computers in our hands that we sometimes make phone calls on.

If the SoC was just the processor, then yeah, from a speed perspective it's probably fast enough. But the SoC is much more than that. It's also the GPU, modem, Wi-Fi module, Bluetooth module, NFC, GPS, etc, etc. All of those get improved and then implemented into the newest SoC.

Quick Charging 4.0 in the 835 is faster, more efficient and runs cooler than 3.0 in the 821. Charging speed matters to millions of people.

We may be talking about a phone but the advances are more like PC's.

I don't think anyone proposes that innovation should stop. I think the general feeling is that whether or not it has the 835 shouldn't be a showstopper, especially since we can't control what it comes with. I don't plan on getting the G6 but lack of the 835 wouldn't influence me unless I was deciding between two phones where all else was equal.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone proposes that innovation should stop. I think the general feeling is that whether or not it has the 835 shouldn't be a showstopper, especially since we can't control what it comes with. I don't plan on getting the G6 but lack of the 835 wouldn't influence me unless I was deciding between two phones where all else was equal.
There will never be a situation where the only thing separating 2 phones is the SoC.

If they couldn't get the 835 then the money they saved should be reflected in the price of the phone.

Some of the differences in the SoC may not be noticable right away (upgraded Bluetooth, upgraded modem, wireless AD) but for people keeping their phones for 18+ months, those things could certainly matter.

The more efficient and powerful CPU/GPU along with QC 4.0 could be important to people right away.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There will never be a situation where the only thing separating 2 phones is the SoC.

If they couldn't get the 835 then the money they saved should be reflected in the price of the phone.

Some of the differences in the SoC may not be noticable right away (upgraded Bluetooth, upgraded modem, wireless AD) but for people keeping their phones for 18+ months, those things could certainly matter.

The more efficient and powerful CPU/GPU along with QC 4.0 could be important to people right away.
Of course no two phone are exactly identical. When I say equal I am referring to features that are deal breakers for most or if two phones met my needs and the only deciding factor was the chip.
All of the things you mention are valid points and I will reserve judgement on the price when I see it listed.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The G6 will be fast and smooth...it will have the same 821 SD that is in the Pixel and that is a very fast and smooth phone.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Here is the problem I see - what is different in the LG G6 released as LG's main phone in 2017 and the phones release in 2016 with the 821 SD? The 2016 phones are now being heavily discounted. Why pay LG G6 2017 flagship pricing for a phone that seems to have 2016 specs?

People do tend to look at cards in front of phones and they are going to see the G6 listed with a 821 SD and 32 GB of memory vs other phones with the 835 SD and 64 GB of memory. People do tend to look to see what phone has the better features. I have yet to see one category that the G6 wins.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Here is the problem I see - what is different in the LG G6 released as LG's main phone in 2017 and the phones release in 2016 with the 821 SD? The 2016 phones are now being heavily discounted. Why pay LG G6 2017 flagship pricing for a phone that seems to have 2016 specs?

People do tend to look at cards in front of phones and they are going to see the G6 listed with a 821 SD and 32 GB of memory vs other phones with the 835 SD and 64 GB of memory. People do tend to look to see what phone has the better features. I have yet to see one category that the G6 wins.

People may notice the difference in onboard storage but I'm pretty sure they just think 821 vs 835 is the product number or something :) Also, you're paying for an additional 6 - 12 months of updates vs 2016 models. Since phone performance really doesn't vary that much in a 12 month window the additional support and updated looks are what people really care about.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

The average consumer only see iPhones and Samsung Galaxys. No one will even care are the processor.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
My thoughts - 4k and photography
New WiFi standard and bandwidth as well as improvement to cellular will help

Along with battery life, 20-40% cpu improvement as well as gpu

It needs to get in front or stay alongside Apple 7 and upcoming iPhone 8.

bc319a8e6f9465679447a0be4ebd3282.jpg

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-prod...-chip-that-will-power-2017-flagships-3649321/

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
The average consumer only see iPhones and Samsung Galaxys. No one will even care are the processor.

Again, as I said earlier - sounds like the target is the uneducated buyer who just buys something shiny. Otherwise I just don't see what feature sales the phone. People here sound like someone goes into the store and just randomly picks a phone.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Were the last group to get inside what and why average non geek type chooses a phone.

Friends are often key motivator. Brand recognition. Sammy, LG, even Google, but all the others?

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Again, as I said earlier - sounds like the target is the uneducated buyer who just buys something shiny. Otherwise I just don't see what feature sales the phone. People here sound like someone goes into the store and just randomly picks a phone.
This is how the general public works: I see in the news that the new iPhone is coming out. I believe said news channel and buy that iPhone. I see that the "Samsung Galaxy blew up" from said news channel also, I'm not buying that. That's all they see. If someone goes into the store and sees this phone, (G6) they are probably going to think at first it is either an iPhone or a Samsung. So you are correct when saying these are geared to the uneducated buyer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty