G6 and the non-removable battery

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I just went in to Tmo to ask about the tentative G6 release date and the sales rep confirmed that the battery will be non-removable. Apparently Tmo already has test units is some stores. It may change between now and the official release, but it looks like LG has finally bitten the bullet on batteries.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Alas, they all follow that trend these days sadly. In the race to make devices everything proof and credit card thin, they sacrifice function over form.. Give me fat phones with removable battery any day over these delicate, wafer thin bits of glass.... Blech

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Never had an issue with the non-removable battery with the Turbo, Turbo2, or Nexus 6. I honestly think this is a non-issue at this point.

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Looks like and smells like a troll......must be a troll.

no, you asked if i could be any more vague and I answered the question. i had nonstop issues with my nexus 5 freezing & resetting itself, and i had to remove the sim card every time, forcing the time & date to reset, because I couldn't take out the battery. i had issues with my Samsung notes overheating and freezing, and I couldn't take the batteries out so i had to wait for them to heat up enough for the phone turn itself off. i had a note 7 for a day before it was recalled and it overheated and shut down with a safety warning. so yeah, i don't like or trust non-removable batteries. my experiences with them have sucked. it's an opinion, but everything is subjective when it comes to tech preferences.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
no, you asked if i could be any more vague and I answered the question. i had nonstop issues with my nexus 5 freezing & resetting itself, and i had to remove the sim card every time, forcing the time & date to reset, because I couldn't take out the battery. i had issues with my Samsung notes overheating and freezing, and I couldn't take the batteries out so i had to wait for them to heat up enough for the phone turn itself off. i had a note 7 for a day before it was recalled and it overheated and shut down with a safety warning. so yeah, i don't like or trust non-removable batteries. my experiences with them have sucked. it's an opinion, but everything is subjective when it comes to tech preferences.

Pay them no mind....

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
As a fan of removable batteries I knew this day would be coming.

I do not like carrying around a battery bank and USB cable. Most of the time my V10 can pretty easily make it through the day, but there are 2 weekends every month and sometimes more when it can't and I am no where near anything that can re-charge it. I am a volunteer boyscout leader, and I use my phone as my primary camera for 4K video as well as high res pictures. Last thing I need is a USB-charge cable dangling around and getting caught on branches and rocks when we are out on an adventure. I've tried it and its cumbersome to say the least, in the worst case its a distraction from what I am doing and can be unsafe if I take my mind off the current scenario. Its better, safer and less distracting to take a break, 2-3 minutes and swap the battery.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I do not like carrying around a battery bank and USB cable. Most of the time my V10 can pretty easily make it through the day, but there are 2 weekends every month and sometimes more when it can't and I am no where near anything that can re-charge it. I am a volunteer boyscout leader, and I use my phone as my primary camera for 4K video as well as high res pictures. Last thing I need is a USB-charge cable dangling around and getting caught on branches and rocks when we are out on an adventure. I've tried it and its cumbersome to say the least, in the worst case its a distraction from what I am doing and can be unsafe if I take my mind off the current scenario. Its better, safer and less distracting to take a break, 2-3 minutes and swap the battery.

Exactly.... But some people will still call you a whiner because you like removable.

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site

I'm a teacher in a public school and a dangling usb cord hanging out of my pocket is practically an invitation for my kids to pull on it, break or steal my phone, or just run off with it. unfortunately, i need my phone on me at all times because of where I teach, so leaving it out to charge is not a option, never mind that it's just bad form to give that kind of temptation. there are so many reasons why a non-removable battery is preferable.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The real issue here is CHOICE.

In 18-24 months when a battery exhausts its lifespan you have CHOICES with a removable design. Just as we have choices today, whether to carry a battery bank or carry reload-able cells. With a V10 I have multiple choices at my disposal... Qi wireless charging, 9V quick charge, 5V slow charge, or even a powerbear / zerolemon FAT-batt upgrade.

Human beings are creatures of habit. Change and having to make decided choices generally makes them uncomfortable. Having too many choices can result in a form of option paralysis. Thats just the human psychology of the individual... some people are just more comfortable being told what to do, rather than choosing what to do. Of course... a large percentage just have no preference, and thats OK too.

Just my .02

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Alas, they all follow that trend these days sadly.

I wouldn't say, "sadly". I'd say "and it's about time".

Looks like and smells like a troll......must be a troll.

That's not nice. Lots of people are upset about features that they use and depend upon that are going away. For some of them, either they aren't aware of better solutions or those other solutions aren't practical for their current use case. Could they learn to get by otherwise? Sure. But not everyone is excited to do that and some are quite the opposite. I wouldn't consider it whining or trolling just to state that a person prefers one thing over another.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say, "sadly". I'd say "and it's about time".

That's not nice. Lots of people are upset about features that they use and depend upon that are going away. For some of them, either they aren't aware of better solutions or those other solutions aren't practical for their current use case. Could they learn to get by otherwise? Sure. But not everyone is excited to do that and some are quite the opposite. I wouldn't consider it whining or trolling just to state that a person prefers one thing over another.
Agreed.... Don't know why people are so quick to put down other people's preferences.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
My V10 is in constant use with multiple apps using GPS and the screen on almost 100% of the time so it eats batteries.
I have 3 batteries and two chargers.
One charger in car, one at home.
I switch batteries whenever I get to 15%.
The batteries that is in the phone is only at a place to be charged when I am asleep.
No enclosed battery would last a full 12-16 hours with GPS and 100% screen on.
I have to have rapid exchange batteries.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My V10 is in constant use with multiple apps using GPS and the screen on almost 100% of the time so it eats batteries.
I have 3 batteries and two chargers.
One charger in car, one at home.
I switch batteries whenever I get to 15%.
The batteries that is in the phone is only at a place to be charged when I am asleep.
No enclosed battery would last a full 12-16 hours with GPS and 100% screen on.
I have to have rapid exchange batteries.

I use my phone a lot.... Would need at least 6400 to get me back home without a charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae