Does the LG G6 have an RGB notification light?

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Ugh. Back to Samsung for me then. Will miss ir blaster

I'll keep my Xiaomi Mi5 for now ($300, RGB Notification LED, Dual-sim, IR Blaster, FM Radio, 64GB, SD820).

It's a shame as I really liked the G6 overall except the glass back. From the leaks alone, I think I prefer the styling over the S8. The flat front, slimmer forehead and chin, the new display ratio, and the chunky build look great. For some reason I don't like curved edges.

But the loss of IR and Notification LED combined with only current gen SoC and nothing else new means I can't justify spending anywhere close to the price that they allegedly will ask for it. It's basically just the display and slightly improved camera...

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh ir gone too? More bad news. I wonder if the V20 will be my last device with ir blaster? None of those Chinese brands work on VZW

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Oh ir gone too? More bad news. I wonder if the V20 will be my last device with ir blaster?

From everything that I have read, it seems to be gone! Not confirmed though so we'll just have to wait until it's on the shelves to be sure. I don't use the IR Blaster daily but use it enough to miss it if I were to lose it.

LG just being LG... they listened to the feedback regarding the G5 failure, made a lot of good improvements then decided to remove some functionality that nobody asked them to remove. Makes no sense to remove these things from a flagship phone.

The Notification LED is one of those basic features that gets taken for granted. It does a simple job but does it well, better than the AOD. That's why nobody talks about it much. Frankly, if I had to choose between them, I would pick the NLED over wireless charging or QuadDAC or AOD.

I can't fathom why they would remove it. It can't possibly add that much cost or complexity to the phone.

I think Samsung know this. They have removed the NLED from some of their mid-range phones for a number of years now and receive some negative feedback, but have always kept it on their flagship phones.

None of those Chinese brands work on VZW

I feel for you. I'm from the UK but live and work in SE Asia now so I'm kind of lucky (and grateful) that the mobile phone situation in these parts is generally much better than US (and Japan). Plans are cheaper, SIM locked phones are illegal, Chinese branded phones are available and work pretty much everywhere including the dual-sim. When I was younger in the UK I was envious of the US with the cheaper electronics, ha ha.

Ahem... Sorry, I'm not helping:-X

Let's just wait and see what the final spec of the G6 is and what the others do.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I suspect these features were sacrificed in the pursuit of tiny bezels. We're talking 1 or 2 mm but it is that 1 or 2 mm less bezel that allows them to round up and claim 80% screen to bezel ratio. Of course leaving features out saves $ too. Very few people will notice the missing features but they are the only reason I ever bought an LG phone. I bet they're gone from v30 too.

Last edited:

Dennis James5

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I suspect these features were sacrificed in the pursuit of tiny bezels. We're talking 1 or 2 mm but it is that 1 or 2 mm less bezel that allows them to round up and claim 80% screen to bezel ratio. Of course leaving features out saves $ too. Very few people will notice the missing features but they are the only reason I ever bought an LG phone. I bet they're gone from v30 too.

What does the notification LED has to do with bezels ? It was in line with other cutouts for other stuff on the top bezel, it would have a very small impact on cost but not on the bezel size or water resistance. If anything, I think they removed it so that people would use the AOD more so that a sitting phone would attract attention and bring some more publicity to the LG brand. But we have to see the review regarding AOD and battery life, if the impact is negligible than maybe, just maybe I could see myself giving the G6 a try after the price will come down (but then the S8 would be on the picture too). I can't go from an Exynos S7 Edge with notification LED and 2-day battery life to a G6 with AOD on and (maybe) 12 hours of battery life.

On the other hand, the IR blaster in the side bezel would would indeed have required extra water resistance measures around it, it would have increased the cost a bit, that's for sure. But given the fact that the S8 will have iris scanner and a ton of other features, removing the IR blaster seems like a very bad idea to me.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
What does the notification LED has to do with bezels ? It was in line with other cutouts for other stuff on the top bezel, it would have a very small impact on cost but not on the bezel size or water resistance. If anything, I think they removed it so that people would use the AOD more so that a sitting phone would attract attention and bring some more publicity to the LG brand. But we have to see the review regarding AOD and battery life, if the impact is negligible than maybe, just maybe I could see myself giving the G6 a try after the price will come down (but then the S8 would be on the picture too). I can't go from an Exynos S7 Edge with notification LED and 2-day battery life to a G6 with AOD on and (maybe) 12 hours of battery life.

On the other hand, the IR blaster in the side bezel would would indeed have required extra water resistance measures around it, it would have increased the cost a bit, that's for sure. But given the fact that the S8 will have iris scanner and a ton of other features, removing the IR blaster seems like a very bad idea to me.
Maybe 12 hours of battery life? Oh please, do tell where you are coming up with that info.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The led itself takes up virtually no room but u may be sure the tiny bezel is already completely jammed with stuff. Of course you're right they are pushing AOD. LED notifications and ir blasters will completely disappear from phones in the next few years and that is a shame. They are both super convenient for those of us who use them.

A virtually forgotten feature I enjoy is front facing stereo speakers but if course they cannot exist with tiny bezels either. So much of phone's potential is wasted making it thin and eventually without bezels

Dennis James5

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Maybe 12 hours of battery life? Oh please, do tell where you are coming up with that info.

Read any LG G5 review, add 15% larger battery size, substract some battery life due to the larger screen and faster chipset using the same 14nm process, and you will come up with a rough estimate. I sincerely hope that LG did some miracles, but with Snapdragon 821 and significantly larger screen (even if more efficient) I'm not sure the battery life will surpass the G5.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Read any LG G5 review, add 15% larger battery size, substract some battery life due to the larger screen and faster chipset using the same 14nm process, and you will come up with a rough estimate. I sincerely hope that LG did some miracles, but with Snapdragon 821 and significantly larger screen (even if more efficient) I'm not sure the battery life will surpass the G5.
So speculating battery life based on a different phone, with different screen size, different battery size, different SoC, etc. Got it.

Qualcomm had this to say about 821 vs 820: "Building on the technology leadership introduced with the Snapdragon 820 platform, the 821 is engineered to deliver faster speed, improved power savings, and greater application performance, ensuring 821 powered devices keep pace with the growing performance demands of users to deliver the unmatched user experiences the Snapdragon 800 tier is known for."

So still power savings​ even though it's still 14nm and a faster chip.

And most G5 reviews were done on MM and not Nougat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo