shouldn't we be close to an announcement for the US launch?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Because it is an open forum that allows all to play. Plus I have been asking the same question that was finally answered. No new features, just a new phone. I think everyone here underestimate the average phone buyer. The first questions many when looking at a new phone they will ask is what is new and why it's better than the competition.
The wide angle camera has been upgraded from 8mp to 13mp. That's new. Screen will be in a new format for phones at 18:9, which was copied by your precious S8 that you seem to worship. So there's a quick 2 new features.

But wait, I know, it doesn't have the 835 SoC that you think makes all other things obsolete.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The wide angle camera has been upgraded from 8mp to 13mp. That's new. Screen will be in a new format for phones at 18:9, which was copied by your precious S8 that you seem to worship. So there's a quick 2 new features.

But wait, I know, it doesn't have the 835 SoC that you think makes all other things obsolete.
Also has ip68 rated water and dust resistance, so that's new also. :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree, but LG is just really clueless on final execution. The LG V20 wait was terribly bad and nobody had any idea until the last minute. After about 7 weeks from the official launch with no date from any carrier, it was like okay, in stores this Friday.

During that mess they allowed the Pixel to swoop in, get announced, and launched before the V20. All while missing out on the Samsung recall.

I think Marketing, QA, and QC are much more complicated than we sometimes perceive it be. We have a tendency as a consumer to oversimplify things based on the behaviour we often observe. As someone who works in QA for a major utility, I can tell you that sometimes multi million dollar projects are held up until things are just right. Time pressure is often the root cause of when many things go wrong and people get hurt or killed.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Current rate is 1 Euro would cost $1.07, which would make 749 euros equal to $798.
Yeah, I know. How does it have any relevance at this point? Prices are different all over the world on the same product all the time.

Saying it's $800 in the US based on an article using currency conversion has no foundation at all. It's all speculation until actual prices are announced.

And as we saw with the V20, there could be a huge difference in prices depending on carrier.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't think we should go by conversions. Now, if they really do price it at 800, yeah I don't see it doing that well. Hopefully they're smarter than you that. I really don't seem why they announce and wait forever. They do this every year, and every year people complain about it. Just pull an Apple and have it available in a timely manner.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Funny since I have zero interest in buying a S8. I think the rounded corners make a phone hard to hold. I might buy a 2016 phone in 2017 like the V20. But if I was forced to choose between a NA G6 and the S8 I would buy the S8, #1 reason is the storage. 64 GB is the absolute minimum I would consider. Who knows maybe LG will take the Asian G6 and add an updated chip and call it the S6+. That would be an interesting phone.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I think everyone here underestimate the average phone buyer. The first questions many when looking at a new phone they will ask is what is new and why it's better than the competition.

Having worked in mobile phone sales for quite some time, I have to disagree here.

From my experience, the average phone buyer only cares about the names "Galaxy" and "iPhone." This is largely due to them being status symbols. The vast majority of people out there don't care about what is new and why it is better, they only want the brand name. I can't tell you how many times I tried to convince someone that an Android phone was better for their needs and they wound up getting an iPhone just because it was an iPhone.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Current rate is 1 Euro would cost $1.07, which would make 749 euros equal to $798.
This comes up for every phone release, believe me you can't just use currency conversion for pricing in different regions. That's not how companies atleast big companies price their phones. There's lot factors go into it so won't be a direct conversion.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
This comes up for every phone release, believe me you can't just use currency conversion for pricing in different regions. That's not how companies atleast big companies price their phones. There's lot factors go into it so won't be a direct conversion.

True, but it's selling at an equivalent price of $799 in South Korea, where the company is located, and in the past that has been a fairly good gauge at what it will sell for in the US.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
True, but it's selling at an equivalent price of $799 in South Korea, where the company is located, and in the past that has been a fairly good gauge at what it will sell for in the US.
No it isn't. The G5 and V20 sold for less in the US than the currency converted price in Korea.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
LG G6 pre-orders at Verizon start March 17 for $672 with three great promo deals https://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g6-pre-orders-verizon-coming-march-17-three-great-promo-deals
That's a decent price with some really good promos if you are looking to switch to Verizon. To bad 6 lines unlimited on Verizon would be about $80/month more than my 6 lines on T-Mobile. Can't justify that.

That's also the same price as the V20 which makes me wonder if TMobile will be the same price as the V20 at $769.