Anyone with a current S7E going all in on the G6?

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
So trying to determine if i'm going to go for the S8 (would do S8+ if i did) or the G6.

What's nice is the G6 screen isn't a huge difference to what i've got now on the S7 edge. I like the look of it, actually like the thought of a flat screen again, and AT&T has a nice deal on the LG sport watch if i decide to go that route.

My biggest concern is that the S8 is going to cost a ton and that's probably going to be the tipping point for me. Hopefully they'll announce prices pretty quickly after the announcement on Wednesday.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I am caught between a rock and a hard place myself.

My wife is having annoying issues with her S7 Edge (photos going missing and the telphony stack needing a reboot to get working sometimes) and I am pretty much at the end of my rope there. And the photo issue seems to be an issue with that gen phone since her older S7 had the same problem... So between that and the Note 7 debacle (that is why she has an S7 Edge now.... that was her Note 7 replacement, which the Note 7 was supposed to replace the S7... you know that tale though).

BUT... the S8+, which is my most likely target, is going to come in at a premium over the S7 Edge, most likely. Do I want to spend more money on a phone from an OEM for which I have little to no patience?

Or do I go with an OEM with a still growing list of phones that suffer from some rather troubling long term hardware reliability issues? The G6 would fit the bill perfectly if not for that question.

Dubzgb

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
It's my opinion but I would never consider buying the G6 going all in...Its a nice looking phone but lg has had too many UI and basic phone functioning issues to warrant my interest in going back to them. It's a nice looking phone though...But WITH the design if the galaxy and the smooth UI of the pixels I feel lg can't compete here

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I too is same dilemma... But I guess this year G6 looks way better buy than s8... I had iris scanner in my Lumia 950 which was hit and a miss at times.. Finger print scanner is faster and convenient... I sold s7 edge for axon 7 Limited Edition and now was waiting to decide between s8 or G6... But with G6 has most of the things I need in a phone.. And I don't really dig the curved screen...
So me 99% will buy the G6 when launched in India... Will have 2 phones axon 7 and G6

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
It's my opinion but I would never consider buying the G6 going all in...Its a nice looking phone but lg has had too many UI and basic phone functioning issues to warrant my interest in going back to them. It's a nice looking phone though...But WITH the design if the galaxy and the smooth UI of the pixels I feel lg can't compete here

I hope u know what u are talking about?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

This is a bit confusing. You cant compare the G6 to the S8 and Pixel at the same time lol. The S7 series was riddled with lag but looked great, the Pixel looks plainer with no lag. What you're saying is you've somehow taken a G8 and put the guts and software of the Pixel in it placing the G6 in a lower class.

Lets also not forget all the Samsung issues we've had in the last year let alone since they entered the android market.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
LG has failed in the past, but all it takes is a successful phone to turn all that around. The S7 did that for Samsung, the M7 for HTC. This feels like a different phone for LG.

Dubzgb

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
This is a bit confusing. You cant compare the G6 to the S8 and Pixel at the same time lol. The S7 series was riddled with lag but looked great, the Pixel looks plainer with no lag. What you're saying is you've somehow taken a G8 and put the guts and software of the Pixel in it placing the G6 in a lower class.

Lets also not forget all the Samsung issues we've had in the last year let alone since they entered the android market.

I'm talking as far as a high end phone goes. What attracts you to the G6 other than the price tag and what has Lg done very well in the past that has outshined other phones. I'm comparing them to if I was shopping for a phone between what will be 3 of the best android phones out. S8, G6, and Pixel..whats going to make me want to pick the G6 over the other 2 besides being the cheaper of the 3 phones?

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking as far as a high end phone goes. What attracts you to the G6 other than the price tag and what has Lg done very well in the past that has outshined other phones. I'm comparing them to if I was shopping for a phone between what will be 3 of the best android phones out. S8, G6, and Pixel..whats going to make me want to pick the G6 over the other 2 besides being the cheaper of the 3 phones?

It's subjective, but maybe people feel like they have been burned by samsung and their software over the years. Maybe they don't like the way the pixel look or lacking water proofing and an sd card. Lg has had some issues but the lg phones I have used over the last couple years run much smoother than the samsung phones I've had. That said I would be using the note 7 if it wasn't recalled and would buy one right now if it was available.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

Well for me it was a year of disastrous Samsung phones. The S7 Active, Note 7, Lag of the S7 Edge and S7. Then the curved screen and its severe limitations when it comes to device protection. The horrendous Samsung customer service (Granted Ive never dealt with LG's so they too could be horrible). The cost of the Samsung device vs the $650 price of the G6.

As for the Pixel, the only reason I choose the G6 over it is the cost, availability, size and design. Other than that the Pixel seems great.

The G6 gives me everything I want and then some at a great price point. Flat screen so I can finally have some protection using a tempered glass, zero curve, great battery so far, running smooth as can be, great design and screen quality, small form factor, Camera seems great however there are some concerns in the camera thread that Im going to be paying close attention to, ip68, wireless charging, fingerprint sensor where it makes sense (looking at you S8 series), LG pay releasing soon, and so far Andoid Auto has not stumbled once like it is on my Mate 9 and S7. Do I wish there was a notification led? Sure. Do I need it? No, Im an ex iPhone user who had no AOD or led. From the reviews about the hardware in the phone they seem to have taken some needed steps to prevent overheating and bootlooping so I have no worries as of yet about those issues. I wouldnt mind the ability to use VR though so that is the one thing I wish it had. My kids loved it. This is my first LG so I cant compare to what they have done in the past.

What exactly causes you to put the G6 in a category so far below the S8 or Pixel?

Dubzgb

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Well for me it was a year of disastrous Samsung phones. The S7 Active, Note 7, Lag of the S7 Edge and S7. Then the curved screen and its severe limitations when it comes to device protection. The horrendous Samsung customer service (Granted Ive never dealt with LG's so they too could be horrible). The cost of the Samsung device vs the $650 price of the G6.

As for the Pixel, the only reason I choose the G6 over it is the cost, availability, size and design. Other than that the Pixel seems great.

The G6 gives me everything I want and then some at a great price point. Flat screen so I can finally have some protection using a tempered glass, zero curve, great battery so far, running smooth as can be, great design and screen quality, small form factor, Camera seems great however there are some concerns in the camera thread that Im going to be paying close attention to, ip68, wireless charging, fingerprint sensor where it makes sense (looking at you S8 series), LG pay releasing soon, and so far Andoid Auto has not stumbled once like it is on my Mate 9 and S7. Do I wish there was a notification led? Sure. Do I need it? No, Im an ex iPhone user who had no AOD or led. From the reviews about the hardware in the phone they seem to have taken some needed steps to prevent overheating and bootlooping so I have no worries as of yet about those issues. I wouldnt mind the ability to use VR though so that is the one thing I wish it had. My kids loved it. This is my first LG so I cant compare to what they have done in the past.

What exactly causes you to put the G6 in a category so far below the S8 or Pixel?

I'm not putting into a lower class I just don't think it's an All IN phone like the original post mentioned. I think LG has done a great job with it and it's a great alternative to anyone that doesn't want a phone with curved screen or giant bezels (pixel) I'm just cautious to consider it the best phone available to market an All in statement.
Believe me if I could put the super smooth software performance of the pixels in a nicer looking handset I'd be all in for that. It's a shame they went with the iPhone look for that device:(
I don't dislike LG by any means and I wish the G6 well. I still have a lg3 laying around and I still love the body/form factor of that phone

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm not putting into a lower class I just don't think it's an All IN phone like the original post mentioned. I think LG has done a great job with it and it's a great alternative to anyone that doesn't want a phone with curved screen or giant bezels (pixel) I'm just cautious to consider it the best phone available to market an All in statement.
Believe me if I could put the super smooth software performance of the pixels in a nicer looking handset I'd be all in for that. It's a shame they went with the iPhone look for that device:(
I don't dislike LG by any means and I wish the G6 well. I still have a lg3 laying around and I still love the body/form factor of that phone

Fair enough.

Regarding what the OP stated about going all in, I think its a fair question. Hes wandering whos leaving the s7 edge for the G6 and alot of us have done just that. Im "all in" as I sold my S7 Edge and am exclusively using my G6. All my other phones are sold or sitting in a drawer except my Mate 9 which Im considering selling. The G6 gives me everything I want so far so I'd say thats what I consider "All In".

Im sure the S8 will be a winner, just not for me. The Note 8 on the other hand will be in my lineup simply because of how much I liked the Note 7.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough.

Regarding what the OP stated about going all in, I think its a fair question. Hes wandering whos leaving the s7 edge for the G6 and alot of us have done just that. Im "all in" as I sold my S7 Edge and am exclusively using my G6. All my other phones are sold or sitting in a drawer except my Mate 9 which Im considering selling. The G6 gives me everything I want so far so I'd say thats what I consider "All In".

Im sure the S8 will be a winner, just not for me. The Note 8 on the other hand will be in my lineup simply because of how much I liked the Note 7.

Yup you got it exactly what i was trying to say.

I, like many people, don't have the luxury of picking up multiple phones a year. i go off the next program and get my one new phone a year with AT&T and it's worked out for me well. I know there's a return period, but i like just making a choice and sticking with it and i don't think i'll go wrong with either phone, but yah price is a huge thing. Plus i have had Samsung for the past 2 years, so it might be worth it to try something new. That's the joy of android for ya!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Yup you got it exactly what i was trying to say.

I, like many people, don't have the luxury of picking up multiple phones a year. i go off the next program and get my one new phone a year with AT&T and it's worked out for me well. I know there's a return period, but i like just making a choice and sticking with it and i don't think i'll go wrong with either phone, but yah price is a huge thing. Plus i have had Samsung for the past 2 years, so it might be worth it to try something new. That's the joy of android for ya!

The issue at this point is the design is such a drastic change with the G6 and the S8 that we wont know for months if they both progressed from their past mistakes. Thats kind of the downside to buying the latest and greatest. Right now the G6 is almost perfect to me but in 3 months things could go completely south. Same with the S8. We could have more water issues, battery issues, screen issues, software issues etc. You just never know what you're going to get until its been out a few months so you've kinda got to roll the dice.

Like I said though, Im extremely happy with the G6 for the reasons I mentioned above. Im hopeful it will stay working the same way it has been because I have got to stop buying so many phones every month.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The issue at this point is the design is such a drastic change with the G6 and the S8 that we wont know for months if they both progressed from their past mistakes. Thats kind of the downside to buying the latest and greatest. Right now the G6 is almost perfect to me but in 3 months things could go completely south. Same with the S8. We could have more water issues, battery issues, screen issues, software issues etc. You just never know what you're going to get until its been out a few months so you've kinda got to roll the dice.

Like I said though, Im extremely happy with the G6 for the reasons I mentioned above. Im hopeful it will stay working the same way it has been because I have got to stop buying so many phones every month.

I say the same thing all the time. This is it I have to stop buying phones. I think I would have been fine if it wasn't for the note 7 issues but since then it's been bad for me.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I say the same thing all the time. This is it I have to stop buying phones. I think I would have been fine if it wasn't for the note 7 issues but since then it's been bad for me.

Yep, same here. The Note 7 was my 2-3 year phone then Samsung had to go screw that up and since then its cost me a fortune.

Its funny, I saw one new on craigslist the other day and I almost bought it. The very next day I saw Samsung is pushing an update that wont allow you to charge at all anymore. Thank god I didnt buy it lol.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
LG has made major improvements. The V20 and G6 is a well polished phone and offers much more then competitors. The S8 doesn't seem much different than the S7 Edge anyway. I'd go with the G6 because of the flat screen and dual camera.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had some experience with an LG V20. Really enjoyed that phone. Very smooth, no lag issues of any kind, solid phone, nice large flat display, great performance across the board. If it had Samsung Pay on it Is probably have stuck with that one.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I had some experience with an LG V20. Really enjoyed that phone. Very smooth, no lag issues of any kind, solid phone, nice large flat display, great performance across the board. If it had Samsung Pay on it Is probably have stuck with that one.
I'm considering going with the V20 but am really concerned about the size of the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol