Anyone with a current S7E going all in on the G6?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I feel if someone has a S7 Edge the G6 wouldn't be a huge step forward.

Not having a last years phone, I would say the LG G6 is an all around solid phone over the S7 Edge and like the new 2:1 screen and like the flat screen and overall design of G6 over Edge and I think the phone will run better 821 over 820 and touchwiz.

But... the only two things I think the Edge will still have over G6 from all the posts is... battery life and camera.

I still think the G6 sounds like it has a good and interest camera setup with wide angle... but the S7 cameras were arguably top 3 cameras of 2017. I think G6 will have a good camera... but still better than last years top 3? (S7, iPhone, pixel)

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I will if the S8s don't "wow" me tomorrow.

Expecting a smartphone to wow you in early 2017 is asking for disappointment. The phones released this year will be incremental updates at best, dressed up pretty to attract new phone buyers. Just my opinion, but I think it's best to keep expectations realistic, then just find a solid phone to enjoy.

The next phone to wow folks will probably be the next Note device or iPhone.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I feel if someone has a S7 Edge the G6 wouldn't be a huge step forward.

Not having a last years phone, I would say the LG G6 is an all around solid phone over the S7 Edge and like the new 2:1 screen and like the flat screen and overall design of G6 over Edge and I think the phone will run better 821 over 820 and touchwiz.

But... the only two things I think the Edge will still have over G6 from all the posts is... battery life and camera.

I still think the G6 sounds like it has a good and interest camera setup with wide angle... but the S7 cameras were arguably top 3 cameras of 2017. I think G6 will have a good camera... but still better than last years top 3? (S7, iPhone, pixel)
Issue I'd say I'm worried about with the S8 and S8+ is the bigger screen with more tech in the phone (ex iris scanner) but a smaller battery than the S7E

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
If that facial recognition works well in the S8s, it'll be enough to "wow" me.

Not trying to dismiss the facial recognition feature but isnt it kind of pointless considering you have to pick the phone up to use it? Isnt it substantially faster to place you're finger on the sensor and let it unlock? I never understood its purpose on the Note 7 and always found it far easier and faster just to use my finger.

WolvesWR18

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I went all in on the G6 from the S7 Edge. Overall I feel the G6 is a far superior phone by doing the little things well. The G6 provides a snappier, lag free experience vs the S7E. IMO, LG's UI enhancements are better than Samsung's.

For example, I can multi-window the Mint app and Google Keep for categorizing expenses on my receipts. Not available on S7E. Another example, I can pin apps I want to keep open then clear the rest on the G6. No joy on the S7E. Have to restart Spotify.

The camera is just as good if not better than the S7E. The wide angle camera is amazing with upgraded MPs vs the G5. Excellent innovation by LG here. Also, the phone feels great in the hand.

I could go on for quite a while but I'll stop and answer any questions anyone has. I do plan on getting the S8 as well and selling the one I like less but knowing how gimmicky Samsung likes to be I doubt the S8 will be as refined a product as the G6. Samsung has an upward battle here.

IMG_0148.jpg

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a pixel, s7e, and the new g6 on Verizon. I absolutely love the g6 but I may have to send it back. The camera is not impressive at all. The s7e does better, and the pixel does far better. The g6 is slower to take the photo and the pictures are very soft, not much sharpness. Also,, since its shutter speed is slow, anything that is moving is going to be blurry.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I think with any smartphone you buy, there's going to be a compromise somewhere. Some people are able to compromise with the camera or battery life or screen or ui. It all comes down to preference. I feel like the camera is good enough. It hits on all of the rest of things I need and want in a smartphone.

You can compare phones side by side all day and still be undecided and you'll be forced to compromise on something.

It's also what you've gotten used to using. I've used the G4 for just over a year and am comfortable with LG's ui and camera settings. I know how to get good to great results with the camera. Manual mode is really where it shines. You can tweak the color temperature and leave it on auto focus. Then you can quickly switch to manual focus. Manual focus is really easy to use on the G6. It will highlight the borders of the objects when they're in focus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital