S8 comes with Bluetooth 5 unlike G6

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Its been a requested feature ever since someone wanted to use 2 wireless headphones with a friend to share music. But no I can pretty much say MOST people will have no interest in it, just as MOST people could care less their music comes out of a shiaty pair of headphones by apple or beats. ;)

And I'm sorry to say but you will need to upgrade your speakers to use the dual audio functionality.. this isn't new. When bluetooth 4.1 LE came out with low power savings for monitoring equipment... it still needed you to buy new devices that supported 4.1 LE as well. No one burned down any buildings when that happen. And how about that 802.11g? It supports 802.11b devices..did we get the pitchforks because it didn't speed up our data despite the router being 802.11g?

I think you're forgetting the year Samsung has had and seriously underestimating the convenience of having multiple speakers connected at the same time. Thats kind of the whole reason Sonos and JBL get the asking price for their speaker systems and have so for some time now. You dont use it, I do very regularly with itunes throughout my home. In this thread alone thats 50% want it 50% dont. Just like people didnt know they wanted wifi calling until it became a thing. I know plenty more people who do the same that I have helped set up for this specific reason. When you add the ability to buy 2 $30 bluetooth speakers vs $300 or more for a JBL system and even more for Sonos I'm pretty sure people will use it quite often. As far as needing to upgrade speakers goes, you may and you very well may not. We'll find out in the next few weeks. But just because you dont want a feature doesnt mean you should underestimate the amount of people who will happily use dual audio.

The author of the article you quoted also seems to agree that this should work with 4.0 devices. Will be interesting to see.

Corbin Davenport AP Staff Glich • 14 hours ago
I think this should work fine with two Bluetooth 4.0 headsets/speakers.

Last edited:

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Its been a requested feature ever since someone wanted to use 2 wireless headphones with a friend to share music. But no I can pretty much say MOST people will have no interest in it, just as MOST people could care less their music comes out of a shiaty pair of headphones by apple or beats. ;)

And I'm sorry to say but you will need to upgrade your speakers to use the dual audio functionality.. this isn't new. When bluetooth 4.1 LE came out with low power savings for monitoring equipment... it still needed you to buy new devices that supported 4.1 LE as well. No one burned down any buildings when that happen. And how about that 802.11g? It supports 802.11b devices..did we get the pitchforks because it didn't speed up our data despite the router being 802.11g?
Dual Bluetooth audio on current Bluetooth devices has been confirmed. Note the speakers in the video are the original JBL flips. Those are what, Bluetooth 4.1? No need for any 5.0 devices. Still don't think it's possible?

https://youtu.be/pjx2VX5FO6E

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
To be blunt.. yes. Clearly this is a samsung implementation, because it is still talking to the speakers on the old signal using old profiles which does NOT allow extra bandwidth. It is mearly using 2 bluetooth radios to connect to 2 bluetooth devices and splitting the audio on the phone.

I am curious if having two >4.1 bluetooth transfers maxed out right next to each other causes issues, I don't think bluetooth is setup like wifi where you have many channels to choose from because the wifi spec allows for crowding while bluetooth would normally assume it is only in range of devices it is going to need to talk to so no need for worrying about overlapping signals, yet here we have 2 over lapping signals. Then again maybe I'm not giving bluetooth enough credit and people making far more money then I are designing this phone, so it may work just fine. ^^

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
To be blunt.. yes. Clearly this is a samsung implementation, because it is still talking to the speakers on the old signal using old profiles which does NOT allow extra bandwidth. It is mearly using 2 bluetooth radios to connect to 2 bluetooth devices and splitting the audio on the phone.

I am curious if having two >4.1 bluetooth transfers maxed out right next to each other causes issues, I don't think bluetooth is setup like wifi where you have many channels to choose from because the wifi spec allows for crowding while bluetooth would normally assume it is only in range of devices it is going to need to talk to so no need for worrying about overlapping signals, yet here we have 2 over lapping signals. Then again maybe I'm not giving bluetooth enough credit and people making far more money then I are designing this phone, so it may work just fine. ^^
So you realize that is exactly what I said from the get go right? That this was a software feature and not dependent on Bluetooth 5.0.

That wasn't dependant on 5.0 as far as I read. It read as a software feature.

RTBFE

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Bluetooth 5 allows the user to connect to two Bluetooth speakers. The new technology allows the S8 to essentially act as two Bluetooth 4.0 devices. This means that it doesn't matter what Bluetooth technology the speakers run off since they will work just as they did with a 4.0 phone

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth 5 allows the user to connect to two Bluetooth speakers. The new technology allows the S8 to essentially act as two Bluetooth 4.0 devices. This means that it doesn't matter what Bluetooth technology the speakers run off since they will work just as they did with a 4.0 phone

And you have no idea what you are taking about. This is not a feature of bluetooth 5.0, it is just a feature of the samsung s8.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You're not missing much to be honest. The bluetooth range on my S8+ is awful compared to my Lg G6. I have a few Android Wear smart watches and they were constantly dropping connection to the phone if I left the room without my phone. No issues whatsoever with the G6