S8 comes with Bluetooth 5 unlike G6

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I wish the LG G6 came with Bluetooth 5. this is kind of big for me since I use so many Bluetooth devices for my phone.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
The range of Bluetooth 5 would be nice. Generally I only use it in my car so not a big deal but for those times I use a speaker it would be nice to stay connected throughout the house.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I wish the LG G6 came with Bluetooth 5. this is kind of big for me since I use so many Bluetooth devices for my phone.

Bluetooth is not retroactive, your old BT devices will not take any advantage of BT 5 technology. Its like how 802.11b is 2.4ghz and can still work with networks in a backwards compatibility mode, but gains none of benefits and speeds of 802.11g/n/ac.

Having BT 5.0 from the start is a bonus but you won't see 5.0 on too many new things. Infact many things like speakers use 2.0 and 3.0 because there is no benefit to go higher.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
The big advantage I see the S8 having in terms of Bluetooth is the ability to connect and play to 2 devices at the same time. That would be nice for multiple Bluetooth speakers.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The big advantage I see the S8 having in terms of Bluetooth is the ability to connect and play to 2 devices at the same time. That would be nice for multiple Bluetooth speakers.
My V20 connects to my watch and car at the same time? So does my Note 3.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I once tried to connect 2 bluetooth earbuds and that did not work. I happen to have 2 identical earbuds because I thought I lost one, bought another, found the first. I wish I could connect them both at once. Of course I should simply buy bt headphones but I don't like the wire in the back connecting the buds. I prefer two separate buds.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
That wasn't dependant on 5.0 as far as I read. It read as a software feature.

Issues pop up with the fact that the bluetooth speaker profiles (a2dp, meta, and controls) for 4.0 and lower are designed around one master speaker and no slaves. Priority control conflicts arise. Then there is the problems of 2 devices talking over each other at peak data while not talking to each other because bluetooth doesn't work like that. With 5.0's significant data boost, both the host and the 2 speakers are fully aware of each other and share the increased bandwidth. There is also more accurate control over left and right channels.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Issues pop up with the fact that the bluetooth speaker profiles (a2dp, meta, and controls) for 4.0 and lower are designed around one master speaker and no slaves. Priority control conflicts arise. Then there is the problems of 2 devices talking over each other at peak data while not talking to each other because bluetooth doesn't work like that. With 5.0's significant data boost, both the host and the 2 speakers are fully aware of each other and share the increased bandwidth. There is also more accurate control over left and right channels.
I'm assuming they've figured it out or theyre going to look pretty foolish listing it as a feature and it not work. I mean that wouldn't be the first time for them but I'm betting they've got it working.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming they've figured it out or theyre going to look pretty foolish listing it as a feature and it not work. I mean that wouldn't be the first time for them but I'm betting they've got it working.

From android police;

"If you're unfamiliar, Bluetooth 5 (officially, there's no version number, like 4.0 had) is a fairly major upgrade from Bluetooth 4.0. It has double the bandwidth speed (2 Mb/s), 4x the range, and support for long-range low energy Bluetooth connections.

That extra bandwidth is required for the Galaxy S8's "Dual audio" feature. This allows the phone to stream audio to two Bluetooth headsets or speakers at the same time."

You don't get the extra bandwidth unless you are using bluetooth 5.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
From android police;

"If you're unfamiliar, Bluetooth 5 (officially, there's no version number, like 4.0 had) is a fairly major upgrade from Bluetooth 4.0. It has double the bandwidth speed (2 Mb/s), 4x the range, and support for long-range low energy Bluetooth connections.

That extra bandwidth is required for the Galaxy S8's "Dual audio" feature. This allows the phone to stream audio to two Bluetooth headsets or speakers at the same time."

You don't get the extra bandwidth unless you are using bluetooth 5.
Yes going out but it doesnt state the speakers have to be Bluetooth 5. The bandwidth is higher so it can send the signal to 2 devices at the same time.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes going out but it doesnt state the speakers have to be Bluetooth 5. The bandwidth is higher so it can send the signal to 2 devices at the same time.

and now I know you have no idea how wireless signals between 2 radios work. The faster bandwidth is not gained unless both sides speak the same lingo. The speed is in the signal (and the overlapping of using frequency bonding), if the chip has to fall back to 4.0 to communicate with a 4.0 (or lower) device, it also has to fall back to the slower connection speeds.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
and now I know you have no idea how wireless signals between 2 radios work. The faster bandwidth is not gained unless both sides speak the same lingo. The speed is in the signal (and the overlapping of using frequency bonding), if the chip has to fall back to 4.0 to communicate with a 4.0 (or lower) device, it also has to fall back to the slower connection speeds.
So your saying Samsung has listed a feature to use from day one that won't be available day 1 because there is no Bluetooth 5.0 speakers available? You think there is zero possibility that dual audio will work with current speakers? That would be the most foolish feature they could have listed. Like I said, it's possible because it's Samsung but come on, that would be a huge backlash.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So your saying Samsung has listed a feature to use from day one that won't be available day 1 because there is no Bluetooth 5.0 speakers available? You think there is zero possibility that dual audio will work with current speakers? That would be the most foolish feature they could have listed. Like I said, it's possible because it's Samsung but come on, that would be a huge backlash.

Why would it be a huge backlash? How many people do you know have 2 bt speakers wishing to combine them for what ever reason? If you didn't get the sound you were looking for in the last 5 years you probably upgraded to something that did give you the sound you were looking for. Bluetooth speakers that supported the ability to talk to each other (of the same brand) to connect have been around a while. Now it is just part of the bluetooth 5 spec instead.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Why would it be a huge backlash? How many people do you know have 2 bt speakers wishing to combine them for what ever reason? If you didn't get the sound you were looking for in the last 5 years you probably upgraded to something that did give you the sound you were looking for. Bluetooth speakers that supported the ability to talk to each other (of the same brand) to connect have been around a while. Now it is just part of the bluetooth 5 spec instead.
People have been asking for this feature for years to avoid expensive speaker systems like Sonos. Let's see, spend $100 on 2 Bluetooth speakers or hundreds on Sonos. Do the math. And if the bandwidth comment wasn't accurate then why is every site reporting about dual audio stating...

"That extra bandwidth is required for the*Galaxy S8’s “Dual audio” feature. This allows the phone to stream audio to two Bluetooth headsets or speakers at the same time. You can also adjust the volume for each device independently.*"

Go look at the comments in some of the reviews about dual audio and tell me people don't want it. If you list a feature and it doesn't work you are guaranteed backlash. Whether YOU want it or not doesn't mean there aren't thousand of people who do. There have been apps tried for years trying to achieve this by using a PC and phone. This is a huge feature for people who want to share one screen for a movie between friends or people who want a speaker in multiple rooms but use one phone to control them.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Its been a requested feature ever since someone wanted to use 2 wireless headphones with a friend to share music. But no I can pretty much say MOST people will have no interest in it, just as MOST people could care less their music comes out of a shiaty pair of headphones by apple or beats. ;)

And I'm sorry to say but you will need to upgrade your speakers to use the dual audio functionality.. this isn't new. When bluetooth 4.1 LE came out with low power savings for monitoring equipment... it still needed you to buy new devices that supported 4.1 LE as well. No one burned down any buildings when that happen. And how about that 802.11g? It supports 802.11b devices..did we get the pitchforks because it didn't speed up our data despite the router being 802.11g?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante