Like my G6 decision vs S8

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Just watched a bunch of reviews of the S8 and I am very happy I ordered the G6, although I haven't received it. Most of the reviewers are disappointed that the camera in the S8 hasn't really been improved,although they do have a wide angle feature now, while the G6 camera rocks with the wide angle feature. The battery in the S8 is 3000maH vs 3300 in the G6. Probably a wash since the Snapdragon 835 in the S8 might be a little more efficient. Form wise, I like that the G6 is not as tall. The Bixby assistant might have a long way to go to catch up to the Google assistant on the G6. I think LG has a winner, although Samsung will pour millions into advertising. Hope LG is fast with the updates, although my phone to be on Verizon might take some time with the updates. Life is Good!!

Last edited:

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Initially I was going to stay with my g6. But after seeing more videos I will get the s8 plus. I do love my g6 but my phone obsession kicked in and now I'll order it tonight.

rday76

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
totally agree with all your points. I would also say the fact that you get a Google Home with the G6 is a HUGE plus. Gear VR is the same as it has been for the last 2 iterations and tbh i think Google Cardboard is fine for mean in terms of VR so getting a free headset is kinda meh.
Would also say having a phone right now vs. 3 weeks from now is also a huge plus

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'll be picking up my G6 from Verizon either tomorrow or Friday. I went in today because my G4 was acting up and I need a new phone before Saturday when we go on vacation. I don't really care about having a Google Home.

Rafaelcab

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have my G6 coming in tomorrow and I hope i like it. I have had LG before and loved them and after seeing everything the G6 has to offer i told myself it was time to come back from my current samsung. Although i have to admit the S8 is mighty tempting especially since it isn't that much more expensive. For a $100 more you get more internal storage, newest qualcomm chipset (though i am fully aware the latest and greatest now a days is minimal at best), and finally a potentially better camera front (higher pixel count and potential better sensor) and back. If the LG camera in the comparisons soon to come out holds up ill keep it. I can forgive LG the internal memory difference, but man that would have been a simple thing to have added. Shaking my head LG.

alejovh1#AC

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I have my G6 coming in tomorrow and I hope i like it. I have had LG before and loved them and after seeing everything the G6 has to offer i told myself it was time to come back from my current samsung. Although i have to admit the S8 is mighty tempting especially since it isn't that much more expensive. For a $100 more you get more internal storage, newest qualcomm chipset (though i am fully aware the latest and greatest now a days is minimal at best), and finally a potentially better camera front (higher pixel count and potential better sensor) and back. If the LG camera in the comparisons soon to come out holds up ill keep it. I can forgive LG the internal memory difference, but man that would have been a simple thing to have added. Shaking my head LG.
Agree

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Initially I was going to stay with my g6. But after seeing more videos I will get the s8 plus. I do love my g6 but my phone obsession kicked in and now I'll order it tonight.
Lmao. I'm teetering. Doesn't help I have J.o.d. which lets me then go to note 8.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Also, doesn't the G6 have that nifty capture button where you can draw an area on screen to select for sharing, like the LG V20

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
S8= Meh. I have an S7, but I'm going to G6. Looks like Samsung is leveling out. Sort of the same complaints heard about iPhone the last few years : same basic design, same battery size, not much change in camera quality, slightly faster processor from past year, etc. They are staying about even. And truthfully the G6 isn't much different than the S8. At all. Never thought I'd say that. I'm never going back to Samsung after the Note 7 ordeal and then slow assed updates on my S7. Happy about my decision to get the G6. I get it tomorrow!

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I was leaning towards the G6 hard, now that I see the price is fairly similar between the two I'm torn. I currently use a lg g4, really like the phone, didn't like lg's customer service when my phone bootlooped. Decisions decisions!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I was leaning towards the G6 hard, now that I see the price is fairly similar between the two I'm torn. I currently use a lg g4, really like the phone, didn't like lg's customer service when my phone bootlooped. Decisions decisions!
Dont base it on customer service because Samsung's isn't any better.

BeyondtheTech#AC

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm also on JUMP! On Demand, and I'm also still within my initial 14 day return policy (phone orders are not subject to restocking fee), so I am also debating.

The Gear VR feature is nice, had to return my Google Daydream when I found out the G6 isn't compatible, but my bigger issue is the battery drain and charge... Don't know if it's just me, but my G6 drains rather quickly, and seems to take forever to charge, even with it's "Fast Charging" adapter, at least compared to my previous Moto Z and my iPhone 7 Plus.

Lastly, T-Mobile seems to have a really cozy relationship with Samsung, or maybe it's the other way around, but the baked goods in the ROM, especially DIGITS, and the new LTE-U gigabit speeds with 256QAM is making it really hard not to make the JUMP!.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
My problem with Samsung is they seem to value style over function. The Note series from the beginning was all about productivity and getting things done. I couldn't stand the s7 edge and loved the note 7 but still didn't like the curved screen. It just seems like they do it because they can and to be different. Not really to help out the end user. So far I'm enjoying the G6. Nothing really made me think man I have to have that phone from Samsung today.

manni1to

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Thought about holding out for the s8. After seeing the announcement today im glad i didn't. Also received my g6 today which I'm loving!!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Now that the specs on the s8 line has been released, which is the better buy you think?
It's completely personal preference at this point. I'll give you my reasons to stay with the G6 until the note 8...

Hate the curved screen. It serves zero purpose and adds a weakness to the durability of the phone. Don't like the fingerprint placement. Don't like AMOLED screens due to the color temp. Don't like the 3000ma battery and the s8+ is too tall. Don't believe bixby will be better than Google assistant.

Now yes I know the Note 8 will have all that and yes I will hate the curved screen but I use my phone primarily for work and that stylus makes my life substantially easier.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Now that the specs on the s8 line has been released, which is the better buy you think?

Depends what you mean by better buy. Better value I would say the g6. I can tell you the last few lg phones I have used run much smoother than the samsung phones I've used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC