Can't wait to see what the sales numbers are on this phone

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Probably not that great. I haven't seen much marketing for the device. You can make a good phone, but if no one knows about it, no one will buy it. The stores are gonna push Samsung if you want android. They need to be flooding the TV and Internet with ads.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Won't even be a third of what Samsung sells with the S8. But if I was in the market for a smaller screen and didn't care about removable battery I would love having the G6 over the S8 no question.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, it'll probably be better than the G5.

But you know everyone is going to be promoting the Galaxy S8 over and over.

The thing is, Samsung has historically spent billions on marketing over the years, to the point where it's becoming a mainstay for Android in the minds of consumers.

LG now has the product. It needs some adequate marketing to tell consumers "Hey, we exist too if you need an S8 alternative".

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I feel the G6 will be the go to alternative to those who walk into a store and don't like the fragility of the edges on Samsung phones. I think this will be a sizable number.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Probably not that great. I haven't seen much marketing for the device. You can make a good phone, but if no one knows about it, no one will buy it. The stores are gonna push Samsung if you want android. They need to be flooding the TV and Internet with ads.
Of course it won't beat Samsung, however I see a lot of excitement about this phone and I think they will do better than the last couple of years.

Robynsnest

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I personally could care less about sales figures. That doesn't sway me one way or another. I mean no disrespect here. I just feel that sales just indicates that the vast majority of people are sheep and willing to follow the crowd. Perfect example is iphones. Most people get them because of the name. People often don't research things thoroughly to see what meets their personal needs, instead they either follow the crowd or are swayed by the opinions of the majority not realizing it might not meet their needs. I don't mean that to sound harsh, we live in a busy world and many people don't have time to do the research and they're okay with that. I just tend to shop for what is best for me, regardless of the sales ratings.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It won't be near Samsung numbers but I think it'll be good for LG. It's a good phone.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Every year LG releases theirs before Samsung.

I doubt anything will change significantly.

What is it with companies like LG, don't they have a marketing team. Unlike hTc, LG seems like they want to stay competitive but seems like they're alright being third best.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I personally could care less about sales figures. That doesn't sway me one way or another. I mean no disrespect here. I just feel that sales just indicates that the vast majority of people are sheep and willing to follow the crowd. Perfect example is iphones. Most people get them because of the name. People often don't research things thoroughly to see what meets their personal needs, instead they either follow the crowd or are swayed by the opinions of the majority not realizing it might not meet their needs. I don't mean that to sound harsh, we live in a busy world and many people don't have time to do the research and they're okay with that. I just tend to shop for what is best for me, regardless of the sales ratings.

As the original poster my curiosity about sales figures had nothing to do with the valid points that you make. I'd like to see LG do well because they need it after the less than spectacular results they have had recently, especially the G5. We need the companies that are less successful to do well because competition is good for the average consumer.
To your points, I'm not one to follow the crowd so I buy what I like. That's why I bought a V20.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

What is it with companies like LG, don't they have a marketing team. Unlike hTc, LG seems like they want to stay competitive but seems like they're alright being third best.
I'm just going buy all the positive buzz on this phone. I think it will do well.
I don't expect anything to change significantly with the release of a specific model from a smaller producer of cell phones.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Well in Q3 2016, the mobile division lost $389 million, worst ever quarter, and the 6th consecutive quarter of declining profits.

That's a pretty big drag on the company's bottom line so it's not surprising that they aren't willing to throw a couple hundred million into advertising twice a year for big phone launches.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Didn't know but at the same time what's the point of competing. So they're happy being third or even fourth with companies like OnePlus, ZTE, etc. closing in.

Like BlackBerry, hTc why does LG keeps charging premium shouldn't their focus be the market share? We all what happened with the other two that kept playing this game.

Sorry I didn't take business. LOL

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Didn't know but at the same time what's the point of competing. So they're happy being third or even fourth with companies like OnePlus, ZTE, etc. closing in.

Like BlackBerry, hTc why does LG keeps charging premium shouldn't their focus be the market share? We all what happened with the other two that kept playing this game.

Sorry I didn't take business. LOL
LG is a publicly traded company so the head of the Mobile division works for the CEO, the CEO works for the Board of Directors and the Board is elected by the shareholders. If the division is hemorrhaging hundreds of millions a year, it will start effecting share price, dividends, etc. That's gonna tick off the shareholders so they will put pressure on the board who will put pressure on the CEO to get it turned around or they will cut the mobile division all together.

Obviously that would be a huge decision for a player like LG but it could easily happen if declining profits continue.

meattray

Trusted Member
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
There's also very few companies that can throw huge marketing dollars on a slim margin to begin with. They have to have huge sales of these products to start the marketing campaigns of the apples and Samsung's of the world.

Most of these companies have been losing money for the last few years and I doubt they're going to get a lot of approval to throw even more money at marketing.

Ilya Ivanov

May 11, 2013
Visit site
LG G6 was a step in a right direction. Missing​ 32 bit DAC is sad and 32gb storage was a downer for me personally. Camera isn't the fastest but overall it's a great phone.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I think they will do pretty well but I think the Note 8 is going to take off like crazy depending on what it has to offer and its total specs

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Of course it won't beat Samsung, however I see a lot of excitement about this phone and I think they will do better than the last couple of years.
I wasn't referring to them beating Samsung. That's not even possible. I'm just saying I don't think the sales are gonna be that great unless they ramp up advertising. I don't think just simply making a better phone and having the tech people buzz about it is gonna help. They need to launch an advertising campaign like Google did with the Pixel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital