10-10-2017 07:29 AM
34 12
tools
    Think LG dropped the ball wit this...I loved that on the G5..I work in the medical field so it's much easier seeing that there's a certain notification blinking off than to having to unlock the phone itself
    04-10-2017 01:48 PM
    04-10-2017 01:53 PM
    Think LG dropped the ball wit this...I loved that on the G5..I work in the medical field so it's much easier seeing that there's a certain notification blinking off than to having to unlock the phone itself
    I don't wanna be that guy, but using a smartwatch really killed the need for an LED. If you can find a good deal on I've, u highly recommend it.
    04-10-2017 02:09 PM
    I don't wanna be that guy, but using a smartwatch really killed the need for an LED. If you can find a good deal on I've, u highly recommend it.
    This is a good point. It removes the necessity to even look at the light when your watch can notify you.
    muckrakerX likes this.
    04-10-2017 05:30 PM
    Sadly, not everyone can use a smart watch as a solution.

I've gotten used to using the AOD, and feel a little more relaxed that I'm no longer a slave to the blinking light.
    Hello Sw33tie and Morty2264 like this.
    04-11-2017 07:31 AM
    Sadly, not everyone can use a smart watch as a solution.

I've gotten used to using the AOD, and feel a little more relaxed that I'm no longer a slave to the blinking light.
    I think you are more of a slave to AOD then a notification light. At least I can set and see different colors from across the room. I can make 1 color for important text messages ( daughter,father etc.) 1 color for voicemail,1 color for missed calls etc. With AOD you actually have to be close to the phone to see what the notification is. That's why I would rather have either both or just a light
    JenniferMirabella1 likes this.
    04-11-2017 10:06 AM
    I meant that nagging feeling seeing the blinking light and feeling compelled to check the phone right away.
    04-11-2017 11:36 AM
    Agreed, OP. Of course there are alternative apps to download to better receive notifications, but I've grown very accustomed to having an LED light. I even customize it for different contacts. It's unfortunate that LG got rid of this feature for their G6.
    04-11-2017 02:38 PM
    I can't believe that I'll have to what, buy a separate app if I want the led notifications? I expected more of this effort from LG, it didn't even occur to me that the phone they're giving us a free TV and Google home for buying, won't give me the same convenience my old Samsung did.

I thought I'd turned on a notification only to have my freaking camera flash when I got a text. SO NOT THE SAME.

Agree, major ball droppage on the led notifications.
    04-13-2017 04:17 PM
    Coming from iPhone I guess not having the LED notification light didn't bother me that much. I have setup the AOD and honestly I've kinda fallen in love with it. I like that it shows the type of notification really big for a few seconds before returning to the default state. Even at a glance without the brightness boost I can see that I have pending notifications.

In all honesty, having a light constantly blinking in the corner of my eye would be a distraction that I would want to get rid of, not something helpful. It's always going to be a subjective toss-up though.
    04-13-2017 04:47 PM
    I despise that blinking light...
    Jeremiah Bonds likes this.
    04-13-2017 09:02 PM
    But is it possible for just the screen to light up instead of using AOD?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-24-2017 08:57 PM
    Well I don't wanna be THAT GIRL that has to wear an ugly *** smart watch!! I AGREE WITH HIM - LG DROPPED THE BALL!! I HAD A G4 THAT HAD COLOR CHANGING LED NOTIFICATIONS AND I SET THE COLOR PURPLE FOR MY DAUGHTER - AND I COULD GLANCE AT MY PHONE & IDENTIFY PEOPLE WITHOUT HAVING TO TOUCH MY FREAKING PHONE!!! LG - WTF WERE U THINKING??
    droidman401 likes this.
    08-24-2017 01:09 AM
    Well I don't wanna be THAT GIRL that has to wear an ugly *** smart watch!! I AGREE WITH HIM - LG DROPPED THE BALL!! I HAD A G4 THAT HAD COLOR CHANGING LED NOTIFICATIONS AND I SET THE COLOR PURPLE FOR MY DAUGHTER - AND I COULD GLANCE AT MY PHONE & IDENTIFY PEOPLE WITHOUT HAVING TO TOUCH MY FREAKING PHONE!!! LG - WTF WERE U THINKING??
    It's a matter of opinion. I hated led notification lights. AOD suit's my needs much better.
    Qc_Anubis and Jeremiah Bonds like this.
    08-24-2017 07:50 AM
    It's a matter of opinion. I hated led notification lights. AOD suit's my needs much better.
    Same my phone's always in my pocket anyway and waiting to see if the light blinks is slower than just checking the aod for anything to me. Led lights were completely useless to me,not even missing it lol.
    08-28-2017 12:47 PM
    Had it on the G5..... Don't miss it. That doesn't invalidate it for those you that do. I wish they could include everything they decide to leave out but that's not realistic.
    08-28-2017 02:01 PM
    Had it on the G5..... Don't miss it. That doesn't invalidate it for those you that do. I wish they could include everything they decide to leave out but that's not realistic.
    Yeah I personally don't miss it and don't care for it.. The way I use my phone negates any need for it anyway.
    Qc_Anubis likes this.
    08-28-2017 04:15 PM
    Yeah I personally don't miss it and don't care for it.. The way I use my phone negates any need for it anyway.
    My brother has returned
    08-28-2017 08:27 PM
    My brother has returned
    I'm ready to leave again already. Lol
    Morty2264 and Qc_Anubis like this.
    08-28-2017 08:30 PM
    Or if they can make an LED light but can have you turn it off and instead initiate AOD... 😃. Like sound versus vibrate mode.
    08-28-2017 08:51 PM
    I'm ready to leave again already. Lol
    C'mon now.... Don't disappoint your fan base. Besides.... I feel the need to talk you into the V30.
    08-28-2017 08:57 PM
    C'mon now.... Don't disappoint your fan base. Besides.... I feel the need to talk you into the V30.
    Anti-fanbase.
    08-28-2017 08:59 PM
    I don't really miss it. Useless when in my pocket. The only time it would help is when the phone is on the table and I leave the room and a message comes it. AOD wastes the battery and does not work with the OEM folio case anyway.
    08-29-2017 09:48 AM
    I don't really miss it. Useless when in my pocket. The only time it would help is when the phone is on the table and I leave the room and a message comes it. AOD wastes the battery and does not work with the OEM folio case anyway.
    AOD doesn't use THAT much battery though.
    08-29-2017 09:55 AM
    I think the only reason AOD doesn't use much battery on the G6 is that it's not really always-on, but activated by the proximity sensor. It was kind of silly for LG to implement it on an LCD screen but at least they were able to mitigate that silliness in this way. I read somewhere a theory that only a small part of the backlight is actually on when the AOD is on, but it sure looks to me like the whole screen backlight lights - unless it's just bleed from a smaller lit area, which would also be another clever power-saving design.

If we think about LED vs LCD screens, it makes sense for an AOD to display only minimal information on an LED screen, where power usage is proportional to lit pixels. But on an LCD screen, power usage is the same regardless, so I personally think it would be nice to be able to have the AOD display more stuff (my choice). That could greatly make up for the loss of info that a multicolor status LED could give.

I missed lightflow and the mulitcolor status LED for a little while - mostly because I could make it flash a "special" color for missed calls or texts from important people, and the AOD doesn't have any way to distinguish that. Fortunately it is quick to double-tap on the screen to wake it up and see the full notifications so I don't really miss it THAT much.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-29-2017 01:56 PM
34 12