Dell’s Cyber Monday in Julysaves you up to 50%!
05-06-2017 03:28 AM
34 12
tools
    I'm wondering if I got a dud with my pre order unit. The camera quality is questionable and I even feel like my G4 pictures come out better. Are there settings that I should adjust? Is it the elongated display that gives the impression that they're not clear?

Looking at the photo or even video looks grainy and when I zoom in, it's even worse. I assume part of this is because the megapixels on the G4 are higher. But that aside, the pictures just don't look crisp when compared to the G4. I've only been using auto thus far.

I want to love this phone but the camera is my biggest reason and if it's subpar, I'll just continue to use my G4 and see what else comes out down the line.

Thanks
    04-12-2017 07:22 AM
    I have a G4 so I know how good its photographic performance is.
    Post some samples.

Sent from mTalk
    04-12-2017 07:27 AM
    Few issues with camera:

Launches slowly.
    Front camera sucks (can't believe they didn't focus on getting this correct)
    Has difficulty focusing correctly especially if object in the frame moves even in little.

I don't have a G4 to compare but I would assume it's definitely better than 2 generation old phone camera. It would suck if that's not the case. I have multiple phones like Pixel, iPhone and I'll say G6 camera sits below them in terms of quickness, clarity etc. Only advantage is the awesome wide angle pics which are fun.
    AustinTech likes this.
    04-12-2017 09:32 AM
    Yeah this seems to be the main issue with the G6 as I even started a thread about it too.
    04-12-2017 10:44 AM
    Make sure to set the photo size to 4:3 (13MP), as the phone defaults to 18:9 (8.7MP) which will affect the clarity of your shots. In addition as cool as the camera roll feature is, it can slow down the launch time of the camera quite a bit. In general I've been pretty happy with my G6's camera.
    04-12-2017 01:27 PM
    I ended up returning my g6 because the camera was so poor. It hurt cause I otherwise loved it.
    04-12-2017 02:36 PM
    I'd never begrudge anyone taking a phone back when it doesn't meet their needs, but having gone from G3 to the V10 to Note7 to the S7 Edge to the V20 to the G6 I guess I just don't see how this camera is so horrible. Honestly, I took the S7 Edge (considered the best smartphone camera at the time) on a vacation to Hawaii and with so many amazing things to take pictures of, most of my pictures only look good on a phone or tablet screen as once you get them up on a larger monitor the lack of detail and blotchiness becomes very apparent. I've never had a smartphone camera that takes great pictures of movement in poor lighting. However given adequate lighting even my V10 took amazing movement photos, including my children on a swingset, mainly due to manual mode (something the Pixel doesn't have).

I guess I'm just not seeing what people are so concerned with as there are few if any phones that will take decent pictures in low light with movement. I've heard the Pixel does alright, though I've still yet to see any reviewer post any pictures from the Pixel in low light environments with the subject moving in the view that didn't blur to one degree or another. But to each their own
    04-12-2017 03:10 PM
    The LG G4 takes REALLY good photos - I understand what you're saying. Post some photos and we can take a look at what's happening!
    04-12-2017 03:24 PM
    I'd never begrudge anyone taking a phone back when it doesn't meet their needs, but having gone from G3 to the V10 to Note7 to the S7 Edge to the V20 to the G6 I guess I just don't see how this camera is so horrible. Honestly, I took the S7 Edge (considered the best smartphone camera at the time) on a vacation to Hawaii and with so many amazing things to take pictures of, most of my pictures only look good on a phone or tablet screen as once you get them up on a larger monitor the lack of detail and blotchiness becomes very apparent. I've never had a smartphone camera that takes great pictures of movement in poor lighting. However given adequate lighting even my V10 took amazing movement photos, including my children on a swingset, mainly due to manual mode (something the Pixel doesn't have).

I guess I'm just not seeing what people are so concerned with as there are few if any phones that will take decent pictures in low light with movement. I've heard the Pixel does alright, though I've still yet to see any reviewer post any pictures from the Pixel in low light environments with the subject moving in the view that didn't blur to one degree or another. But to each their own
    I have a iPhone 7+, S7E, Pixel, V20 and G6. In low light with even the slightest movement the V20 and G6 shutter is too slow to even capture a still shot. All others have a fast enough shutter to at least capture a still image. I agree that no camera phone can take great shots in low light with movement but the other models can at least capture a still image without so much blur.
    Law2138 and AustinTech like this.
    04-13-2017 09:43 AM
    Another member mentioned in my thread that I started that the other devices do have larger sensors than LG thus allowing more light in which results to a faster shutter. This definitely plays a part but I also think that LGs camera UI also plays a part in it's slow performance.
    04-13-2017 09:48 AM
    MY concerns with the G6 is blurry photos and the way it focuses when zooming. Seems to be some lag.
    04-14-2017 01:55 PM
    too many replies to quote but i did just learn about the 4:3 setting vs the 18:9. I made that change and I can already see a big difference. I'm no camera or tech expert by any degree so forgive me if my follow-up questions seem simple.

By using the 4:3, what am i losing compared to the 18:9? I don't have social media so pictures ideal for social media posts are of no concern to me. I just like to have nice clear shots I can send to friends and family via email or print.

By going to 4:3, am i losing any "new" features of the G6? the wide angle lens is enough to make me keep it either way.

The focus is frustrating sometimes. I tried to record an insect close up and i just wold not focus and i eventually just stopped. any way to address that via settings? thanks for everyone's help. i'm sure a lot of my concerns may be user error so any and all advice is appreciated.
    04-23-2017 06:56 PM
    too many replies to quote but i did just learn about the 4:3 setting vs the 18:9. I made that change and I can already see a big difference. I'm no camera or tech expert by any degree so forgive me if my follow-up questions seem simple.

By using the 4:3, what am i losing compared to the 18:9? I don't have social media so pictures ideal for social media posts are of no concern to me. I just like to have nice clear shots I can send to friends and family via email or print.

By going to 4:3, am i losing any "new" features of the G6? the wide angle lens is enough to make me keep it either way.

The focus is frustrating sometimes. I tried to record an insect close up and i just wold not focus and i eventually just stopped. any way to address that via settings? thanks for everyone's help. i'm sure a lot of my concerns may be user error so any and all advice is appreciated.
    Mainly higher megapixel setting at that ratio. And most photos when printed are historically 4:3 so it's a standard ratio.

I find the camera as good as the Galaxy S8 that in fact I'm just fresh from a Best buy trip returning my S8.
    04-23-2017 07:16 PM
    G4 was a great camera, every other one has been a slight downgrade since then

Really hoping the V30 improves the camera otherwise I may have to jump ship
    04-25-2017 09:23 AM
    I was going to post a new question about this. Recently got my G6 and I thought that the G4's camera was better. Wondering if it was only me or im still not used to the G6's camera yet.
    05-01-2017 10:58 PM
    The G4 had the best camera LG ever made. The G6 camera isn't as impressive out of the box, but after messing around in the settings, I've come to love it
    05-01-2017 11:01 PM
    The G4 was great, I think the V10 was better.. But the G6 is also good.. I didn't have any issues out of the box.. But I understand some of you have.. I wonder what it might be.
    05-01-2017 11:14 PM
    I was going to post a new question about this. Recently got my G6 and I thought that the G4's camera was better. Wondering if it was only me or im still not used to the G6's camera yet.
    I don't see the problem...I love this camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Concerns with camera-737.jpg  
    05-01-2017 11:29 PM
    I don't see the problem...I love this camera.
    There's no problem. The G6 camera is great. I just think the G4 will be hard to top.
    05-02-2017 12:01 AM
    There's no problem. The G6 camera is great. I just thing the G4 will be hard to top.
    I personally think its better
    05-02-2017 12:41 AM
    I personally think its better
    It certainly has better features, and the dual camera puts it among the best cameras. I just feel the G4 was near perfect with more manual control and virtually no motion blur.

Of course the G6 is the better phone. The G4 had way too many performances issues.
    Kpgile likes this.
    05-02-2017 12:59 AM
    It certainly has better features, and the dual camera puts it among the best cameras. I just feel the G4 was near perfect with more manual control and virtually no motion blur.

Of course the G6 is the better phone. The G4 had way too many performances issues.
    What's interesting is I was wow-ed right away by the quality where with the s8 I wasnt
    05-02-2017 01:08 AM
    What's interesting is I was wow-ed right away by the quality where with the s8 I wasnt
    I'm wowed by both cameras. I use them both daily. Perhaps you had a bad unit. I had to return my first G6, and the second was like night and day!
    05-02-2017 10:18 AM
    I'm wowed by both cameras. I use them both daily. Perhaps you had a bad unit. I had to return my first G6, and the second was like night and day!
    Could be but now I'm happy with this and my s7e and iphone 7 lol
    djrakowski likes this.
    05-02-2017 10:34 AM
    Dang. You've got more phones than me lol
    05-02-2017 10:40 AM
34 12