Preferred SMS app

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never tried Textra but I hear good things about it. Most of my contacts use FB Messenger these days which I don't really care for, especially now that it's trying to be Snapchat Jr...

Still holding onto hope for SMS in Allo :)

It's great! I also like Chomp SMS but Textra is by far my favourite. The app developers' attention to detail and promptness in dealing with bugs and/or customer issues are excellent.

Yeah, I don't blame you! Facebook Messenger is really not my preferred way to communicate. Especially, yes, with their new Snapchat-like features. I only really use it to communicate with my brother who is now in the States.

Mark8768

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I am currently using Verizon messages because of the features it offers. I find myself going back to stock for the simplicity and aesthetics.

Anyone sticking with stock?

Yes I stayed with stock.. no real issues though it's not as good after nougat It works great for me.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
They use SMS now?

Now??? If you're implying Signal has just recently started using SMS, that's not the case. It always has relied on SMS and MMS as its defaults, even going back to its origins (2010) when it was still named TextSecure.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Now??? If you're implying Signal has just recently started using SMS, that's not the case. It always has relied on SMS and MMS as its defaults, even going back to its origins (2010) when it was still named TextSecure.
Oh my fault I must have been thinking of a different app. I thought that it was a two-way encryption private messenger app.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Oh my fault I must have been thinking of a different app. I thought that it was a two-way encryption private messenger app.

The encryption protocol developed and maintained by Open Whisper and used in Signal has become a security standard. Even Google's Allo and Facebook's WhatsApp and Messenger all use it now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(software)#Encryption_protocols
Encryption, no matter what service, can only take place when both parties (sender and receiver) are using Signal, that's just a fundamental principle. The exchange of encryption keys cannot happen when only one side has a key. In order to have a secure connection both you and your contact need to be using Signal, otherwise it's just a typical texting exchange, with SMS/MMS being the default either secure or not. The same applies to any texting service, if it's WhatsApp for instance than both parties (sender and receiver) must be using WhatsApp for there to be a secure connection (irrelevant if using WhatsApp's native protocol or SMS/MMS).

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I tried using Google Messages but my friends were complaining that the MMS messages I was sending were poor quality. I was surprised to see the lack of customizability in the app, especially an option to set the max limit for MMS. Downloaded Textra and it had this option, so I set it to the carrier limit and now they receive them in really great quality. Definitely sold on Textra. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As I stated in one of the battery threads, I found that Verizon's Messenger + killed battery life on my phone. So I switched to the stock app. I may look into Textra as long as it doesn't hurt battery.

Interesting... I'll have to turn it off to see if that helps with my V20.

JimmyMac

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Interesting... I'll have to turn it off to see if that helps with my V20.

Let me know if it works for you. Just curious. I read a review on Messenger+ in the Play Store. A lot of reviews mentioned how it was draining batteries. So I disabled it and went with stock Messenger app and my battery life improved drastically. So it's worth a try for anyone on Verizon.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Let me know if it works for you. Just curious. I read a review on Messenger+ in the Play Store. A lot of reviews mentioned how it was draining batteries. So I disabled it and went with stock Messenger app and my battery life improved drastically. So it's worth a try for anyone on Verizon.

Were you noticing Messages+ in the battery stats as a high consumer?

JimmyMac

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Were you noticing Messages+ in the battery stats as a high consumer?

I don't remember really but I don't think so. All I really know is that I removed it as my default messenger and uninstalled it after reading the reviews. Then I made the stock messenger my default app. The next day my battery life improved greatly and has remained so ever since. I'm pretty consistent in my day to day use. That was the only change I made. Like I said, worth a try. May work, or may not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary