Anyone going to get the Galaxy S8 or S8+

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
After playing with the S8 in store today I came home with a G6. After lots of reading the camera seemed much improved over the initial units some of us had. Glad I did as it doesn't seem like the same camera as the first one.

I'm not impressed with the camera, not because it doesn't take good pics because it does. It just doesn't​ take good pictures consistently. The app is very slow to load, which is quite annoying. I'm going to the river next weekend and I'm going to take a lot of pictures. So I'll give the camera a chance to impress me, and if not, I may have to swap the G6 out for the Galaxy S8.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm not impressed with the camera, not because it doesn't take good pics because it does. It just doesn't​ take good pictures consistently. The app is very slow to load, which is quite annoying. I'm going to the river next weekend and I'm going to take a lot of pictures. So I'll give the camera a chance to impress me, and if not, I may have to swap the G6 out for the Galaxy S8.
I'm not impressed with the s8+ at all right now. The camera is good but I'm remembering why I hate Samsung.

The way they force full screen stretching on some apps is irritating the crap out of me. Then the stupid force touch home button keeps kicking me out of games when I touch that portion of the screen. There's no way to disable it either. Battery is really good but not much above the G6.

There's some other extremely annoying things such as wifi calling wont stop defaulting to calls over wifi no matter how many times I select cellular. The fps sucks, face recognition and iris doesn't work in low light for crap.

It also doesn't feel very durable. I'm going to mess with it for the next day or 2 but I'm looking at my G6 right now and trying not to put my sim back in it.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not impressed with the s8+ at all right now. The camera is good but I'm remembering why I hate Samsung.

The way they force full screen stretching on some apps is irritating the crap out of me. Then the stupid force touch home button keeps kicking me out of games when I touch that portion of the screen. There's no way to disable it either. Battery is really good but not much above the G6.

There's some other extremely annoying things such as wifi calling wont stop defaulting to calls over wifi no matter how many times I select cellular. The fps sucks, face recognition and iris doesn't work in low light for crap.

It also doesn't feel very durable. I'm going to mess with it for the next day or 2 but I'm looking at my G6 right now and trying not to put my sim back in it.

Great feedback on the S8+, it's nice to get honest feedback from those that actually have the device.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Great feedback on the S8+, it's nice to get honest feedback from those that actually have the device.
The camera in low light is not much better than the G6 either. Still getting very blurry shots. Its shooting at 1/8 shutter speed compared to the G6 at 1/9. Its also over saturating the hell out of photos. It is faster though.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
The camera in low light is not much better than the G6 either. Still getting very blurry shots. Its shooting at 1/8 shutter speed compared to the G6 at 1/9. Its also over saturating the hell out of photos. It is faster though.

Samsung Galaxy devices are known for their high level of saturation in their pictures. Although some reviews I've seen say the pictures are a bit softer. The G6 on the other hand has photos that come out too sharp in my opinion. I prefer the more natural look of iPhone 7 photos. That's the best shooting camera I've ever used, very consistent and fast.

Last edited:

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy devices are known for their high level of saturation in their pictures. Although some reviews I've seen say the pictures are a bit softer. The G6 in the other hand has photos that come out too sharp in my opinion. I prefer the more natural look of iPhone 7 photos. That's the best shooting camera I've ever used, very consistent and fast.
I agree, I do prefer the iPhone images to most every phone. Ive taken a bunch of side by sides with the G6 and S8+ and I just dont like the lack of sharpness in the S8+ the G6 is a bit too sharp but it doesn't "flatten" the image. I wish I could take the speed of the galaxy and the natural effects of the iphone and stick them in the G6.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure why but I have a similar feeling as you. I keep thinking I should take the s8+ back and get the G6 again. I'm really loving the screen on the s8 though.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure why but I have a similar feeling as you. I keep thinking I should take the s8+ back and get the G6 again. I'm really loving the screen on the s8 though.
The screen is very nice and not as much yellow tint as last year. I've got my sim back in the G6 though and it feels much better honestly. There's just too many annoyances right now with the G8+. I'm hoping some of them can be handled by the time the Note 8 drops.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The screen is very nice and not as much yellow tint as last year. I've got my sim back in the G6 though and it feels much better honestly. There's just too many annoyances right now with the G8+. I'm hoping some of them can be handled by the time the Note 8 drops.

I kind of screwed myself by ordering from Samsung, apparently they charge 15% restocking fee. I'll keep it a week to decide. I love samsung pay, one handed use mode, which I can't find on the g6 but was on the v20, and the camera speed is great.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm about to do the same. It's not wowing me at all. I'll give it the weekend.

manni1to

May 13, 2013
Visit site
You guys. Seriously. The G6 camera and screen have nothing on the s8. You can say that the lowlight performance is close but it isn't. At all. And the front facing camera on the G6 is terrible. I think that they made strides with design but need some improvements on other fronts.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Nobody said the screen on the G6 compared to the S8. Low light performance is extremely close. Go look in the thread you posted and the pictures I uploaded from the S8+ in low light. They look atrocious. In fact the shutter speed was almost identical. Yeah the selfie camera sucks on the G6 but the force touch home button is god awful on the s8 and the forced stretching of aspect is ridiculous. Then lets talk about fps performance. The S8 is terrible. It misreads constantly and is in a horrible place. The iris and facial dont work at all in low light so there goes that.

Both phones have pluses and minuses but lets be honest here, the S8 has some serious flaws.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm about to do the same. It's not wowing me at all. I'll give it the weekend.

Im trying to decide if I take the S8 tomorrow or the G6 to my kids all day softball tournament. Id like to take the S8 and give it a fair shot but I'd rather take the G6 and not have to worry about damaging it since its got a case and screen protector. If anything happens to the S8 theres no returning it. I should have left well enough alone and not bought the S8 lol. Phone addiction is a serious disease.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My S8+ will be getting delivered tomorrow. I always would have got S8+ but I got the G6 for a good deal so going to keep it for now. Need the 64 GB storage at least for my main phone so will make S8+ daily driver and revert back to G6 if I don't like the S8+. There is a good chance I may sell both and go back to Pixel since I'm sucker for smooth lag free performance, latest updates etc especially when Android O public beta rolls out for the pixel.

We are all just suckers for new devices. I'm fighting the urge but it's easy because there is nothing I want that the V20 does not have do I'll wait for the V30 to see what it brings to the table.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I love the G6 camera, but the S8 has the best camera I've ever used on a smart phone. Took it out for a night out in LA and this thing preformed like a champ.

Overall you can't go wrong with either device, and I am feeling so good owning both.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea why your camera is launching so slow.. Sorry about that..

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
All I know is the camera is faster to launch on tbe s8 but in low light I didn't get any better shots than I did with my G6. My S8 has pink neon lights runs down both edges when I'm on a site with white backgrounds and it sucks to unlock with the FPS that is confusing to remember which side of the camera it's on. I doubt best buy will have any to exchange it in the store so I'll just return it.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea why your camera is launching so slow.. Sorry about that..

Yeah man, I wish it was quicker. Last night I was sitting in my back yard smoking and I saw this huge raccoon. I kept telling my wife about it, but she didn't believe me. So when I grabbed my phone to snap a picture of it, by the time the app launched it ran off. I'm also have problems with auto focus. It's hard to focus on shots within about 12 inches of the screen.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
This morning playing with both cameras in morning sunlight in the house both would provide more unusable photos than good clean shots. I got more solid pics with my G6 but the S8 is definitely faster at loading the camera app and capturing the shot.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah man, I wish it was quicker. Last night I was sitting in my back yard smoking and I saw this huge raccoon. I kept telling my wife about it, but she didn't believe me. So when I grabbed my phone to snap a picture of it, by the time the app launched it ran off. I'm also have problems with auto focus. It's hard to focus on shots within about 12 inches of the screen.
You have an issue then.. That's not normal.. How long does the quick launch take?.. With the screen off, double tap the volume down button.