Anybody get a G6 after having S8? (Update: I got the G6)

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Its definitely brighter

That's why I think something was wrong with yours. Display mate says the s8 can reach 1000 nits brightness and the G6 gets to 600, which is still bright. Just looking at them both the s8 looks brighter to me. They are just different, the lg has a really good panel for lcd.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah could be but I was just done with Sammy....especially with pink screen issues and reboots reported...

Can't blame anyone with that thought process. After the note 7 and now the s8. Seems like they are more worried about making phones look pretty and cranking them out so quickly and not as focused on quality and usability.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'll be returning my G6 today because the screen has small dead spot on the lower left corner of the screen. I posted a picture in a different thread. Also have a small hairline blue line going up the left side of the screen. I've tried booting into safe mode and it didn't go away. It's​ on there in every app and even on the boot screens.
1d7b776a1987b9d48b4486a3efabd573.jpg

I won't be returning it, just getting Verizon to replace it for me. I really do love this phone but am not happy about this at all.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll be returning my G6 today because the screen has small dead spot on the lower left corner of the screen. I posted a picture in a different thread. Also have a small hairline blue line going up the left side of the screen. I've tried booting into safe mode and it didn't go away. It's​ on there in every app and even on the boot screens.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170504/1d7b776a1987b9d48b4486a3efabd573.jpg

I won't be returning it, just getting Verizon to replace it for me. I really do love this phone but am not happy about this at all.

If I was a betting man, I would put money down on that phone taking a hard hit on the left side at some point during its short life. Must have been late Friday at the fab plant and the worker dropped the thing and said to heck with it.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I never dropped it or abused it. But someone else very well could've. Mistakes happen when humans are involved. They are sending me a warranty replacement due to arrive tomorrow. They had to hard reset the phone before they could issue me a warranty replacement. Now I have to set my phone back up twice. Once today with this one, then tomorrow when then new one comes in.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Had the s8 Plus for over 2 weeks and loved it...mostly. The camera was a bit of a let down and I'd hoped it would have been better than the s7 but it wasn't. Takes great photos until you zoom in on them or crop them and realise the detail is really poor. Although I only ever used the fingerprint sensor for banking apps etc and used Smart Unlock the rest of the time, it annoyed the hell out of me trying to feel around and stretch my hand trying to find it. Apart from that it was great.
Anyways I got my G6 tonight and really really like it so far. It's much like the G5 I had last year except it's much nicer looking, battery is far better and the screen is a big improvement too. Only thing annoying me so far is the lack of One Handed Mode like the Samsungs and even the LG V20 had. Why did they get rid of that??? I thought the s8 was really nice in the hand but the G6 is much more comfortable and I love that it's a little thicker as it makes it much better to hold.

Oh almost forgot... I also miss wireless charging like the s8 Plus has. I'm in the UK so we only get the bottom of the barrel model. 32gb, no DAC, no wireless charging! I can cope with 32gb no problem as I make good use of cloud storage with OneDrive and I have a decent size SD card for media.
No regrets though and I'm happy to pack up the s8 Plus now and send it off to be sold. Just need my Spigen Rugged Armor from Amazon tomorrow to give me some peace of mind

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Besides the red...there are various things that aren't perfect! This screen is so much better!

Well, I went back to an S8. I kept firing up the one with the red tint and feeling like I was settling with the G6, but kept talking myself into it. On a whim, I listed the G6 on Swappa and it sold within hours. I got my FedEx label for the S8 to go back yesterday and I decided to go to VZW store and see if I could get an S8 that didn't have red tint. Well the first one I had was fine and... I won't be looking back at the G6 again. Great phone, very well done, but without the red tint, this S8 has the advantage in several areas for me: camera, AMOLED, smoother processor and Samsung Pay. As I said in an earlier post, if it hadn't been for that red tint, I never would have gone back to the G6.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Well, I went back to an S8. I kept firing up the one with the red tint and feeling like I was settling with the G6, but kept talking myself into it. On a whim, I listed the G6 on Swappa and it sold within hours. I got my FedEx label for the S8 to go back yesterday and I decided to go to VZW store and see if I could get an S8 that didn't have red tint. Well the first one I had was fine and... I won't be looking back at the G6 again. Great phone, very well done, but without the red tint, this S8 has the advantage in several areas for me: camera, AMOLED, smoother processor and Samsung Pay. As I said in an earlier post, if it hadn't been for that red tint, I never would have gone back to the G6.

I like the camera on the g6

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The camera lagged when taking a picture for me, along with doing poorly in low light. To each their own

I love the G6 camera, but the S8 is definitely faster, and in my opinion, deeper and richer colors. In low light it's no contest. I do love the dual set up on the G6 though, those wide shots do sometimes come in handy.

Overall if your heart is with the S8 you've gotta do what's right for you. I agree the S8 is just so fun to use.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I love the G6 camera, but the S8 is definitely faster, and in my opinion, deeper and richer colors. In low light it's no contest. I do love the dual set up on the G6 though, those wide shots do sometimes come in handy.

Overall if your heart is with the S8 you've gotta do what's right for you. I agree the S8 is just so fun to use.

Personally I wasn't impressed especially with the screen having pink issues and not being able to find a good screen protector. I also thought the camera was worse than the s7 edge! So with that said I'm glad I exchanged mine.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Personally I wasn't impressed especially with the screen having pink issues and not being able to find a good screen protector. I also thought the camera was worse than the s7 edge! So with that said I'm glad I exchanged mine.

My screen has no pink issues, it's perfect. As for screen protectors, I agree.. But I don't bother with them anyway and never had a scratch.

I think the S8 and G6 are the best phones either company has ever made, even with their flaws.. And that's no small feat.

But no phone suits everyone's needs.. It's perfectly fine to prefer one to the other.. I slightly prefer my Samsung because I discover new things I can do with it almost daily!

The LG is my work phone and its been very reliable and so simple to use... Excellent device

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
My screen has no pink issues, it's perfect. As for screen protectors, I agree.. But I don't bother with them anyway and never had a scratch.

I think the S8 and G6 are the best phones either company has ever made, even with their flaws.. And that's no small feat.

But no phone suits everyone's needs.. It's perfectly fine to prefer one to the other.. I slightly prefer my Samsung because I discover new things I can do with it almost daily!

The LG is my work phone and its been very reliable and so simple to use... Excellent device

Yep both have their pluses.

Joseph Guy1

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
You know all s8 have that tint mine is just fine and so are my friends just bad QC, but because of it people now seem to have it

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You know all s8 have that tint mine is just fine and so are my friends just bad QC, but because of it people now seem to have it

Mine definitely never had it. Or the reboot issues some people say they've had. Easily the best screen I've ever had on a phone but I still like the LG and they've come a long way since the G5. I'm not going to knock either phone as they're both fantastic I enjoyed my time with the s8+ but now it's time to enjoy the LG for a while

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Mine definitely never had it. Or the reboot issues some people say they've had. Easily the best screen I've ever had on a phone but I still like the LG and they've come a long way since the G5. I'm not going to knock either phone as they're both fantastic I enjoyed my time with the s8+ but now it's time to enjoy the LG for a while

I like the build of the LG g6. Feels less awkward than the s8 plus.