05-05-2017 01:53 PM
41 12
tools
    Calling all G6 and S8 owners - what are the pros and cons of each phone? Did you have a G6, only to return is for an S8? Or did you have an S8 and return it for a G6?

In your research, what are the pros and cons of each? Which one is the best choice (for you), and why?
    05-02-2017 10:26 AM
    G6 Pros
    Flat display
    FPS location more "likable"?

S8 Pros
    Better display
    Great camera
    Better storage 64 > 32
    Two size options
    Better SoC

Not doing cons.
    05-02-2017 10:38 AM
    G6 to S8+ back to G6. The following is my experience only.

G6 Pros:
    Feel in the hand is 2nd to none
    Wide angle lens is extremely useful
    UI is smoother and zero lag
    Substantialy easier to protect with cases and screen protectors
    No chance of screen burn in
    Louder than the S8+
    Excellent battery
    Wireless Charging (not fast)
    Perfect finger print sensor placement and very fast

S8+ Pros:
    Beautiful Screen
    Great battery
    Samsung Pay
    VR capable
    Wireless Fast Charging
    Bluetooth 5.0 and Dual Audio
    Gigabit LTE Capable

G6 Cons:
    32gb storage (not a big deal for most including me)
    No VR capabilities
    No Fast Wireless charging
    Early units were having scratching issues on the camera glass

S8+ Cons:
    Extremely uncomfortable
    Impossible to protect
    Iris and facial recognition only works in perfect lighting. Direct sunlight and darkness make it useless
    Fingerprint sensor is in a terrible place and slower than the G6
    Scratches easily

Im sure theres more but thats the things that came to my mind right now.
    Matty likes this.
    05-02-2017 10:46 AM
    S8 plus pros:
    All the bells and whistles Samsung puts in like the edge screen, Samsung pay.
    64 GB
    Cons:
    The thing is: the Bluetooth was not ready for prime time.
    The screen was faulty...pinkish hue and not bright enough.
    Size was awkward.
    Can't put a decent screen protector on it.
    Camera was not any better than s7e.

LG g6 Pros
    Easier to use.
    Premium build
    Screen is bright
    Camera is the best I've seen
    Sound quality is good.
    Battery Life is awesome.

Cons:
    Only 32 GB
    But that's it...
    recDNA likes this.
    05-02-2017 11:41 AM
    LG G6 one of best andriod phone used
    Built quality excellent
    Flat display
    Dual camera
    Easy to hold
    Great camera
    Awesome battery life
    Being glass back phone not slippery at all
    64gb
    Hifi dac
    No cons for me
    05-02-2017 12:10 PM
    I really like the G6 - perhaps because I'm biased and have had the G3; so I like LG's take on Android and the LG Skin. I also like the G6's bezel-to-body ratio: it's "big," but still seems like someone with small hands like myself could find my way around it easily. I also like its price point and the silver option seems gorgeous. I've heard it can be a little reflective in different lights, but ah well. And their double tap to unlock feature is probably one of the best mobile device innovations ever made (in my opinion, of course).

The S8 line-up is awesome, too. The camera seems great, the colour choices are beautiful, and it sounds like a fast and smooth experience. Oh, and no home button makes me very happy. My only complaint about it would be its price point (but it's a flagship, and Samsung, so I understand the price tag); and that it *may* be a little too big for me. But I can't make any difinitive conclusions on that front until I actually hold it in my hands.

If I had to choose between the two, right now, I'd want the G6. I can see myself keeping it for a while and I really think their design is innovative. My only gripes about the G6 are LG's decision to 1) take out the notification LED and 2) their decision to forego the back button feature.
    Aquila and recDNA like this.
    05-02-2017 12:11 PM
    ...2) their decision to forego the back button feature.

Whats this back button feature you speak of?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-02-2017 12:14 PM
    Whats this back button feature you speak of?
    I think she is referring to the volume buttons on the back of the phone.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-02-2017 12:19 PM
    Ahh. This is my first LG so no clue about buttons on the back. Sounds kind of weird though.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-02-2017 12:21 PM
    Yes, thank you! The G3 and 4 (and the G2?) had their buttons on the back. I miss that! I too thought it was a bit weird at first but I quickly grew to love that hardware choice.
    05-02-2017 12:24 PM
    Yes, thank you! The G3 and 4 (and the G2?) had their buttons on the back. I miss that! I too thought it was a bit weird at first but I quickly grew to love that hardware choice.
    I liked it on the G4. I didn't have the earlier LG's, but I got a G4 for my wife and I usually get to play with the new toys when they arrive.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-02-2017 12:27 PM
    I liked it on the G4. I didn't have the earlier LG's, but I got a G4 for my wife and I usually get to play with the new toys when they arrive.
    I find that button placement to be very convenient; especially if you're walking around and holding the device. I found that your fingers could find those buttons very easily. I thought it was very innovative for LG.

Also, I really like the G4. Good phone with a good camera.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-02-2017 12:44 PM
    Have both G6 and S8+ currently, here is my opinion.

G6 Pros:

1. Best feel in the hand device, perfect size, feels great ergonomically.
    2. Dual camera and wide angle is dope.
    3. Little cheaper than S8/S8+ and if you want to buy via Craigslist, swappa you can find a great deal.

G6 cons:
    1. Only 32 GB internal storage in most markets with no option of higher storage. Yes I know SD card but many like to have higher internal storage options. Also fragmented feature offerings based on market which sucks.
    2. While dual camera is nice, quality is not the best imo at low light, moving objects and that front camera is just shameful for a flagship.

S8+ Pros:
    1. Feature filled, you got everything here.
    2. Great rear camera in all conditions.
    3. Great accessory support since it's a huge selling device.

S8+ cons:
    1. Personally don't like FPS location.
    2. Ergonomics not great, case improves it a bit but still not great.
    3. Front camera is average, expected more.
    05-02-2017 12:53 PM
    Instead of doing pros and cons, let me put the reasons why I choose LG G6 over Galaxy S8.

LG G6 dual camera. Superb and very handy.

S8 awkward FPS/power placement and old camera from S7E. I already had S7E so didn't find the urge to get S8.
    recDNA likes this.
    05-02-2017 01:55 PM

G6 cons:
    2. While dual camera is nice, quality is not the best imo at low light, moving objects and that front camera is just shameful for a flagship.

S8+ Pros:
    2. Great rear camera in all conditions.
    Are you not getting motion blur on the S8 in low light? I was getting the same motion blur with the + that I got on the G6. In fact the shutter speed was slower @ 1/8 on the S8+ and 1/9 on the G6.

This is a pic from the S8+ with an overhead light on and all the dog did was slowly move her head away from the camera. I dont think any of these phones do good in low light with motion.

LG G6 vs Samsung Galaxy S8 - Pros and Cons Thread-d47ed90ef9aa383ad2ffdbca4a73c70f.jpg
    05-02-2017 02:33 PM
    Are you not getting motion blur on the S8 in low light? I was getting the same motion blur with the + that I got on the G6. In fact the shutter speed was slower @ 1/8 on the S8+ and 1/9 on the G6.

This is a pic from the S8+ with an overhead light on and all the dog did was slowly move her head away from the camera. I dont think any of these phones do good in low light with motion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d47ed90ef9aa383ad2ffdbca4a73c70f.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	258944
    I can't a decent pic of my son on G6 if he moves a bit even in broad day light. With the S8+, iPhone 7 plus and previously Pixel XL, I can just click and it takes the pic in a snap and gets a good pic even if there is little movement.
    05-02-2017 02:35 PM
    I can't a decent pic of my son on G6 if he moves a bit even in broad day light. With the S8+, iPhone 7 plus and previously Pixel XL, I can just click and it takes the pic in a snap and gets a good pic even if there is little movement.
    Thats weird. Ive got great pics on the G6 of my kid riding a bike in daylight even though its overcast. Even with the pic compressed from here it still shows detail in her hair etc. I dont understand why we are all getting such drastic differences in cameras.

LG G6 vs Samsung Galaxy S8 - Pros and Cons Thread-20170415_193645.jpg
    05-02-2017 02:38 PM
    Thats weird. Ive got great pics on the G6 of my kid riding a bike in daylight. Even with the pic compressed from here it still shows detail in her hair etc. I dont understand why we are all getting such drastic differences in cameras.

Name:	20170415_193645.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	984.4 KB 
ID:	258945
    Hmm, don't know why. If I phrase it correctly out of the top phones I have G6 is the least confident I'm with but that doesn't mean it's a bad camera. It's just for me it's not working out for whatever reason, I have seen plenty of amazing pics with G6 and especially if you tweak with manual controls you can get great pics from what I have seen.
    05-02-2017 02:41 PM
    Hmm, don't know why. If I phrase it correctly out of the top phones I have G6 is the least confident I'm with but that doesn't mean it's a bad camera. It's just for me it's not working out for whatever reason, I have seen plenty of amazing pics with G6 and especially if you tweak with manual controls you can get great pics from what I have seen.
    Yeah I wish I knew what I was doing in manual mode lol. For me I've come to terms with the fact in low light these cameras just cant do everything I would like. I hate using a flash but if it's a low light room Ive started using it. I do wish the G6 camera launched a bit quicker.
    05-02-2017 02:44 PM
    Thats weird. Ive got great pics on the G6 of my kid riding a bike in daylight even though its overcast. Even with the pic compressed from here it still shows detail in her hair etc. I dont understand why we are all getting such drastic differences in cameras.

Name:	20170415_193645.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	984.4 KB 
ID:	258945
    bias
    05-02-2017 03:01 PM
    bias
    Care to elaborate or are we doing one word replies now?
    05-02-2017 03:08 PM
    Care to elaborate or are we doing one word replies now?
    I think a lot of people are biased against LG phones. No camera will take good pic in low light of a moving object. Low light means slower exposure which means anything moving is blurred.

LG camera takes perfectly good shots of moving objects in any kind of daylight. Maybe the user's hand isn't steady. I have that problem and despite claims to the contrary no software fixes it. If your hand moves u don't get a great pic ime
    05-02-2017 03:11 PM
    I think a lot of people are biased against LG phones. No camera will take good pic in low light of a moving object. Low light means slower exposure which means anything moving is blurred.
    Totally agree. Your comment was a bit vague. Do you think I'm biased against LG, or any manufacturer for that matter? Or are you saying those who have issues with the G6 are allowing their bias to influence their experience?
    05-02-2017 03:13 PM
    Totally agree. Your comment was a bit vague. Do you think I'm biased against LG, or any manufacturer for that matter? Or are you saying those who have issues with the G6 are allowing their bias to influence their experience?
    I won't accuse any individual. I just think Samsung dominance makes many people jump to conclusion LG sucks the first time they get a bad pic. With Sammy people think it's the best on the market so bad pic means user error. jmo
    MA2GA28 and Qc_Anubis like this.
    05-02-2017 03:15 PM
    I won't accuse any individual. I just think Samsung dominance makes many people jump to conclusion LG sucks the first time they get a bad pic. With Sammy people think it's the best on the market so bad pic means user error. jmo
    I'm sure there's probably some truth to that. Samsung definitely has some folks who ignore their downfalls. This forum was full of excuses when the Note 7 happened. I got blasted for saying there would be a recall when I heard it was coming. I'm sure LG has alot of the same and we all know Apple has some of the worst offenders.
    Qc_Anubis likes this.
    05-02-2017 03:18 PM
41 12