How to unlock new T-Mobile LG G6?

yurei888

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Super excited to be upgrading from an LG G3 to a G6. The phone is coming this week via Swappa new in box. I understand that T-Mobile will not unlock, even though the phone is paid-off until it's been on their service for 40 days. Is there an unlocking site anyone can recommend that doesn't charge $80 for the code?

Or should I just sign up for T-Mobile for a couple of months? I like the T-Mobile One plan, but don't like them checking my credit for using their service and making my score drop.

Will a locked T-Mobile device work on their pre-paid plan?

Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Super excited to be upgrading from an LG G3 to a G6. The phone is coming this week via Swappa new in box. I understand that T-Mobile will not unlock, even though the phone is paid-off until it's been on their service for 40 days. Is there an unlocking site anyone can recommend that doesn't charge $80 for the code?

Or should I just sign up for T-Mobile for a couple of months? I like the T-Mobile One plan, but don't like them checking my credit for using their service and making my score drop.

Will a locked T-Mobile device work on their pre-paid plan?

Thanks!

It should work on prepaid T-Mobile. Double-check with a store rep to be sure.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
It should work on prepaid T-Mobile. Double-check with a store rep to be sure.

If your device is prepaid, T-Mobile requires that it be active on its network for at least 12 months before granting an unlock. Less than one year, and your account must have had more than $100 in recharges since you first activated the device (not including activation payments).

Pretty crappy to require 12 months just because its pre paid.

yurei888

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Agreed! I've decided to bite the bullet on the hard credit check and go post-paid. My wife has TMO pre-paid and found out that we don't even need to switch the SIM to move her to a T-Mobile One account. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781