Super excited to be upgrading from an LG G3 to a G6. The phone is coming this week via Swappa new in box. I understand that T-Mobile will not unlock, even though the phone is paid-off until it's been on their service for 40 days. Is there an unlocking site anyone can recommend that doesn't charge $80 for the code?

Or should I just sign up for T-Mobile for a couple of months? I like the T-Mobile One plan, but don't like them checking my credit for using their service and making my score drop.

Will a locked T-Mobile device work on their pre-paid plan?

Thanks!
    05-16-2017 03:23 AM
    Super excited to be upgrading from an LG G3 to a G6. The phone is coming this week via Swappa new in box. I understand that T-Mobile will not unlock, even though the phone is paid-off until it's been on their service for 40 days. Is there an unlocking site anyone can recommend that doesn't charge $80 for the code?

Or should I just sign up for T-Mobile for a couple of months? I like the T-Mobile One plan, but don't like them checking my credit for using their service and making my score drop.

Will a locked T-Mobile device work on their pre-paid plan?

Thanks!
    It should work on prepaid T-Mobile. Double-check with a store rep to be sure.
    yurei888 likes this.
    05-16-2017 10:56 AM
    It should work on prepaid T-Mobile. Double-check with a store rep to be sure.
    If your device is prepaid, T-Mobile requires that it be active on its network for at least 12 months before granting an unlock. Less than one year, and your account must have had more than $100 in recharges since you first activated the device (not including activation payments).
    Pretty crappy to require 12 months just because its pre paid.
    05-16-2017 11:00 AM
    Pretty crappy to require 12 months just because its pre paid.
    Yep T-Mobile is customer friendly sometimes... And other times not so much.
    yurei888 likes this.
    05-16-2017 11:29 AM
    Agreed! I've decided to bite the bullet on the hard credit check and go post-paid. My wife has TMO pre-paid and found out that we don't even need to switch the SIM to move her to a T-Mobile One account. Thanks!
    05-16-2017 10:17 PM