06-20-2017 10:17 PM
76 1234
tools
    Probably not.

The G4 and V10 plus Nexus 5X were affected by bad soldering, which causes the chipset to basically "disconnect" itself from the mainboard over time due to heat, not unlike what the Xbox 360 experienced in its early days.

I'm not entirely sure if LG has changed their method of soldering, but the presence of a heatpipe should mean that there shouldn't be much heat on the area of the board around the processor.
    06-11-2017 09:30 AM
    Probably not.

The G4 and V10 plus Nexus 5X were affected by bad soldering, which causes the chipset to basically "disconnect" itself from the mainboard over time due to heat, not unlike what the Xbox 360 experienced in its early days.

I'm not entirely sure if LG has changed their method of soldering, but the presence of a heatpipe should mean that there shouldn't be much heat on the area of the board around the processor.
    Some of the 5Xs had a boot loop issue when they upgraded to Noguat. I had one and it was fine. Great little phone.
    06-11-2017 10:28 AM
    Some of the 5Xs had a boot loop issue when they upgraded to Noguat. I had one and it was fine. Great little phone.
    It was a great phone but man did that sucker get hot.
    06-11-2017 10:41 AM
    It was a great phone but man did that sucker get hot.
    Don't recall but I only had it for a couple of weeks while waiting for a G5 to get repaired
    06-11-2017 11:10 AM
    T-Mobile user here. I'm on H87210h update. Got the phone on 5/20 and that update popped up so...I installed it. No issues so far.
    06-11-2017 02:23 PM
    No issues since 2 prior generations. Just dreaded bootloop threads insinuating LG's are not reliable. But those are usually Samsung Trolls.
    Law2138 likes this.
    06-11-2017 05:55 PM
    What you're referring to is a software corruption during an upgrade. What plagued the G4 and others was defective hardware. 2 very very different things. There is always a chance of corrupting any device during an upgrade no matter who makes the device. I can remember 3 times in the past 2 years apple pulled updates because they were bricking devices.

So no, they aren't still having bootloops issues, they have a software issue right now that is not widespread. In the past month since the update there's been 2 people on here affected?
    rI'm not sure I stopped counting several people were complaining about various issues with the device and/or this update on: Amazon, XDA, Android Central, YouTube, Reddit, Amazon, and in the comment sections.

I exchanged my unit since I wasn't able to get the latest update OTA or LG Bridge with T-Mobile - Bridge would read the phone was connected but failed to do anything software. So when I got the new device I didn't go in and disable any bloat or download my apps. So I was able to get this update via LG Bridge.

I normally get a text from a promoter for free entry which I received on my other line but did not receive on this one. I read on Reddit that a user described nor getting SMS was an early sign of bootloop per tech support
    06-12-2017 02:28 AM
    That's why I do my own research and generally know more about the product I am trying to buy than the person trying to sell it to me.
    Pretty much this.

You should always do your own independent research on what your potential purchase is. See what's good, what's not and what you should look out for in terms of issues or deals.

Salespeople are paid to sell, but they may not know everything about the product you want, although I have met some who were genuinely enthusiastic on tech, even recognizing my Moto Z.
    Law2138 likes this.
    06-12-2017 04:05 AM
    It is bootloop..... How is not. The same way people are hollering how their G6 isn't having issues is the same way plenty of people who had the G4 said theirs was just fine.
    Look like g6 has this again. No idea why people would buy lg after g4, v10, 5x all must have bootloop
    06-12-2017 08:35 PM
    I wouldn't be worried. They've already fixed it. This happened to only the G4 and V10, which both used the same parts. As long as you use certified, high quality USB C cables, and don't let it reach unusually high temps. The G6 actually has a heatpipe in it so temps will remain relatively cool. You have a higher chance of cracking the glass.
    06-12-2017 08:47 PM
    Look like g6 has this again. No idea why people would buy lg after g4, v10, 5x all must have bootloop
    That depends.

If it bootlooped after an OTA, then it's a software issue. A reflash will fix it.

In the case of the G4, it's a hardware issue caused by inadequate QC in how they soldered the board.
    06-12-2017 09:24 PM
    That depends.

If it bootlooped after an OTA, then it's a software issue. A reflash will fix it.

In the case of the G4, it's a hardware issue caused by inadequate QC in how they soldered the board.
    I had the same basic thoughts about updates gone bad until today in which I case I did a bit of research on the different reasons phones go into a bootloop after update. Turns out one cause is memory going or gone bad. It is good enough to support the existing OS, however when the update tries to overwrite it fails and causes the phone to hang up and potienally bootloop or hang on startup.
    JeBe4 likes this.
    06-13-2017 08:56 PM
    I had a G3...had several problems with that, but none of them involved bootlooping. Two just completely died without warning and the third's screen just started acting goofy, fading out and not responding to touch. I skipped the G4 and G5 and am crossing my fingers that LG has dealt with whatever caused it, since now I'm on the G6.
    My G3 never bootlooped either - I think that issue missed that iteration for the most part - but yes, hopefully LG has corrected that issue.
    06-13-2017 09:23 PM
    Went to Verizon store yesterday and every G6 there was hot while plugged in, every other phone in the store all plugged in were cool. Gave me more concerns.
    06-16-2017 12:13 PM
    Went to Verizon store yesterday and every G6 there was hot while plugged in, every other phone in the store all plugged in were cool. Gave me more concerns.
    My phone has never gotten hot.
    06-16-2017 06:48 PM
    I've had a T-Mobile LG G6 since the week of release and have not experienced boot loop. Very satisfied with the phone.
    06-18-2017 10:03 PM
    My phone has never gotten hot.
    What does your phone have to do with the phone at the store o_O - most cellphones get warm after use and/or charging usage type etc.
    06-20-2017 06:56 AM
    Mine doesn't get hot when it's charging.
    06-20-2017 11:09 AM
    Display models were playing the display video and charging, and do this all day. Was just an observation since I had 3 G4's that bootlooped. I picked up every brand of phone while in the store and all were cool to the touch, the G6's were all very noticeably warm.
    06-20-2017 12:57 PM
    I kinda want one but I also want something to last for 2 years, I was thinking HTC 10 vs G6 but the g6 is much newer and a better design but sense is just lighter and better.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-20-2017 01:05 PM
    I kinda want one but I also want something to last for 2 years, I was thinking HTC 10 vs G6 but the g6 is much newer and a better design but sense is just lighter and better.
    I too am stuck between these two devices for my upgrade. The G6 is now ushering out a two year warranty on their devices, so there's that! It's really exciting!
    06-20-2017 06:14 PM
    I too am stuck between these two devices for my upgrade. The G6 is now ushering out a two year warranty on their devices, so there's that! It's really exciting!
    Yes but aren't you in Canada?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-20-2017 08:13 PM
    Yes but aren't you in Canada?
    Yup! But if OP is in the States I figured I'd mention it. I'm only hoping that LG extends this warranty to Canada as well.
    06-20-2017 08:27 PM
    Um, No not trolling, actually went with the Pixel and thought the G6 was a nicer phone, but I had 3 G4's in the family that bootlooped and stuck on the "life's not good screen". After that just felt I would not take the chance. Was only posting an observation when looking at phone's in the store and it made me even more concerned about going with LG again.
    06-20-2017 09:58 PM
    Mod Note: Lets keep the discussion civil please. If there is a problem with a post then please report it so the Mod team can take a look, attempting to resolve it yourself is not advisable.
    Thanks.
    06-20-2017 10:13 PM
76 1234