any dreaded boot loop issues with the LG G6?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
AMEN! When you walk into a corporate store, there is
a good chance that YOU are the only knowledgeable person in there!

The best is when you walk in around pre-order time and ask to see if they have a display unit or when they anticipate stock..... No clue.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I had a g3 once and recently heard even that one had the issue lol never had problems with mine back then.

I had a G3...had several problems with that, but none of them involved bootlooping. Two just completely died without warning and the third's screen just started acting goofy, fading out and not responding to touch. I skipped the G4 and G5 and am crossing my fingers that LG has dealt with whatever caused it, since now I'm on the G6.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
AMEN! When you walk into a corporate store, there is
a good chance that YOU are the only knowledgeable person in there!

Definitely. I went to my local T-Mo store a few weeks ago, and I was clearly more knowledgeable than the otherwise professional and friendly sales staff. They steered everyone toward the GS8/8+ and knew nothing about my G6.

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
LG G6 Boot Loop issue Does Exist!

My wife and I purchased our Brand New LG G6 phones on Apr 15, 2017 from T-Mobile. On May 19, my wife's device was sent an Android Update through T-Mobile which she was able to perform successfully. On May 20, my device was sent the update and after the update install my phone went into the continuous Boot Loop and wasn't recoverable. I just picked up my Refurbished Replacement from T-Mobile today. LG Still hasn't corrected their issue obviously and now T-Mobile claims this is a "Known issue" as of 3 days ago, (actually it was 4 now).

Terrible, I was on a conference call with T-Mobile and LG because I am having performance lag, stutters, and other issues, and I noticed there was an "update" I didn't have so I figured that would fix the issues, well OTA or LG Bridge won't allow me to access the update, so this "known" issue that T-Mobile failed to elaborate on was deafening. My 14 day return period expires next week, gonna have to return it....and be phoneless lol...I don't want an S8

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
LG G6 Boot Loop issue Does Exist!

My wife and I purchased our Brand New LG G6 phones on Apr 15, 2017 from T-Mobile. On May 19, my wife's device was sent an Android Update through T-Mobile which she was able to perform successfully. On May 20, my device was sent the update and after the update install my phone went into the continuous Boot Loop and wasn't recoverable. I just picked up my Refurbished Replacement from T-Mobile today. LG Still hasn't corrected their issue obviously and now T-Mobile claims this is a "Known issue" as of 3 days ago, (actually it was 4 now).

That is not the bootloop issue that plagued the G4. Your bootloop is a result of an update gone bad which happens to some phones unfortunately.

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
That is not the bootloop issue that plagued the G4. Your bootloop is a result of an update gone bad which happens to some phones unfortunately.

It is bootloop..... How is not. The same way people are hollering how their G6 isn't having issues is the same way plenty of people who had the G4 said theirs was just fine.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It is bootloop..... How is not. The same way people are hollering how their G6 isn't having issues is the same way plenty of people who had the G4 said theirs was just fine.

The bootloop issue that plagues LGs specifically is a hardware defect. If a phone bootloops during an update that is an entirely different cause which can happen to any phone during an update. Though the end result is the same it may not be systemic.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
What you're referring to is a software corruption during an upgrade. What plagued the G4 and others was defective hardware. 2 very very different things. There is always a chance of corrupting any device during an upgrade no matter who makes the device. I can remember 3 times in the past 2 years apple pulled updates because they were bricking devices.

So no, they aren't still having bootloops issues, they have a software issue right now that is not widespread. In the past month since the update there's been 2 people on here affected?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Probably not.

The G4 and V10 plus Nexus 5X were affected by bad soldering, which causes the chipset to basically "disconnect" itself from the mainboard over time due to heat, not unlike what the Xbox 360 experienced in its early days.

I'm not entirely sure if LG has changed their method of soldering, but the presence of a heatpipe should mean that there shouldn't be much heat on the area of the board around the processor.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Probably not.

The G4 and V10 plus Nexus 5X were affected by bad soldering, which causes the chipset to basically "disconnect" itself from the mainboard over time due to heat, not unlike what the Xbox 360 experienced in its early days.

I'm not entirely sure if LG has changed their method of soldering, but the presence of a heatpipe should mean that there shouldn't be much heat on the area of the board around the processor.

Some of the 5Xs had a boot loop issue when they upgraded to Noguat. I had one and it was fine. Great little phone.

pkguy323

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile user here. I'm on H87210h update. Got the phone on 5/20 and that update popped up so...I installed it. No issues so far.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
No issues since 2 prior generations. Just dreaded bootloop threads insinuating LG's are not reliable. But those are usually Samsung Trolls.

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
What you're referring to is a software corruption during an upgrade. What plagued the G4 and others was defective hardware. 2 very very different things. There is always a chance of corrupting any device during an upgrade no matter who makes the device. I can remember 3 times in the past 2 years apple pulled updates because they were bricking devices.

So no, they aren't still having bootloops issues, they have a software issue right now that is not widespread. In the past month since the update there's been 2 people on here affected?

rI'm not sure I stopped counting several people were complaining about various issues with the device and/or this update on: Amazon, XDA, Android Central, YouTube, Reddit, Amazon, and in the comment sections.

I exchanged my unit since I wasn't able to get the latest update OTA or LG Bridge with T-Mobile - Bridge would read the phone was connected but failed to do anything software. So when I got the new device I didn't go in and disable any bloat or download my apps. So I was able to get this update via LG Bridge.

I normally get a text from a promoter for free entry which I received on my other line but did not receive on this one. I read on Reddit that a user described nor getting SMS was an early sign of bootloop per tech support

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That's why I do my own research and generally know more about the product I am trying to buy than the person trying to sell it to me.
Pretty much this.

You should always do your own independent research on what your potential purchase is. See what's good, what's not and what you should look out for in terms of issues or deals.

Salespeople are paid to sell, but they may not know everything about the product you want, although I have met some who were genuinely enthusiastic on tech, even recognizing my Moto Z.

j4ee

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Look like g6 has this again. No idea why people would buy lg after g4, v10, 5x all must have bootloop

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be worried. They've already fixed it. This happened to only the G4 and V10, which both used the same parts. As long as you use certified, high quality USB C cables, and don't let it reach unusually high temps. The G6 actually has a heatpipe in it so temps will remain relatively cool. You have a higher chance of cracking the glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz