Unusual headphone question

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
This may be an odd question...

My previous phone did not have a 3.5mm headphone jack, so I used a pair of earphones that plugged into the USBc port when I wanted to listen to audio. Well, now my G6 does have a 3.5 mm jack and those earphones won't work (I tried). Is there a way to play audio through the USBc port or is there an adapter with a male end 3.5mm plug? I see a lot of adapters that are the reverse, but nothing for this scenario.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
They didn't work through the USB Type-C port? Now THAT is a strange phenomenon indeed. I assume there has to be something out there, but it may not be called what you think. I suppose there's an auxiliary audio cable built to plug a USB Type-C only phone into a car stereo or such without the need for Bluetooth. I'd look around for something like that, maybe that could be what you're looking for.

Back to my original statement though, I have to wonder why that is. Do you have the model with the dedicated DAC? Could that have something to do with it? Is it an oversight on LG's part or simply a technological fallacy? I don't see why a pair of USB Type-C headphones wouldn't work with the G6 or any other phone that has both Type-C and a headphone jack.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
They didn't work through the USB Type-C port? Now THAT is a strange phenomenon indeed. I assume there has to be something out there, but it may not be called what you think. I suppose there's an auxiliary audio cable built to plug a USB Type-C only phone into a car stereo or such without the need for Bluetooth. I'd look around for something like that, maybe that could be what you're looking for.

Back to my original statement though, I have to wonder why that is. Do you have the model with the dedicated DAC? Could that have something to do with it? Is it an oversight on LG's part or simply a technological fallacy? I don't see why a pair of USB Type-C headphones wouldn't work with the G6 or any other phone that has both Type-C and a headphone jack.

I tried with the earphones I had and the sound still came out through the phone speaker at the bottom. Maybe it was the phones I have, maybe the G6 doesn't divert audio to the USB port...or maybe I'm missing some sort of setting?

I bought mine through T-Mobile, for whatever that is worth in answering your question.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I tried with the earphones I had and the sound still came out through the phone speaker at the bottom. Maybe it was the phones I have, maybe the G6 doesn't divert audio to the USB port...or maybe I'm missing some sort of setting?

I bought mine through T-Mobile, for whatever that is worth in answering your question.

Your model does not have a high quality DAC, then, as it is a US model.
Perhaps it is a hardware issue, but I can't say for certain as I don't have a pair of USB Type-C headphones myself to test on any of my Type-C devices. Do you know anyone else with a G6 that would let you try your headphones on them?

Mazaq

Jul 14, 2017
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. My phone is the US Carrier Sprint version of the LG G6. I tested on four different phones. The sound comes out of the Phone speakers instead of the USB c headphone when the headphone is plugged in. I eve nturned on developer options and and activated USB audio but this did not help.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to wrap my head around this. If there's a headphone jack, there might be no reason for audio to go through the usb-c port, no?

Maybe I am behind the times but it just makes sense to me.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Reading this i remembered i could plug usb headsets on my s8+ through the adapter, g6 does not outpout sound through the usb c oddly enough..... While i agree with bob there's a 3.5mm audio jack so maybe that's why ? I myself use bluetooth but i did use my headset to play games before on other androids through a otg cable and it worked most of the time (including with my old g3 back then).

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I have found a little more information on this topic that should make it clearer.

The G6 does not pass ANALOG audio out the USB port. That means an inexpensive adapter that just connects the right pins to a headphone jack will not work.

The G6 DOES pass digital audio out the USB port. This means an adapter that includes the digital-to-analog conversion will work. So generally that means the ones in the $10 and under range will not work, but those around $20 might have the DAC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781