LG G6 or S8 Plus? pros and cons

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Thinking of a switch but needed some insight to make an educated decision. Thank you
First things first. You need to go to a store and hold both because they feel completely different. The S8+ can be uncomfortable for some and not others.

The best way to determine what would work better is for you to pinpoint certain features you are looking for or on the fence about and we can give you an idea how both phones handle them.

lsmith9523

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I just made the switch from the 8+ to the G6. My reasoning was the "in hand" feeling. The 8+ was very uncomfortable to operate one handed. They are both amazing devices and I feel it has to be an individual judgment as to what works best for them.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Off the bat, I'd say the LG G6 has the perfect in-hand feel. I'd say they are both good options, but it really depends on what you are looking for in a phone. I've heard great things about both - if you're looking at saving some cash, the G6 is also a good bet. :)

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I just traded in my S8+ and I agree. The one handed usability you get with the G6 is excellent. I like the G6's aggressively flat display as well, because I've had ZERO issues with putting a screen protector on it. I have heard nothing but bad things about the S8's screen protector offerings. The battery life still gets me through the day and there's no noticeable performance decrease. while I do think OLED is better for displays, the G6 still has an 18:9 ratio and you're not going to notice too much of a difference.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Play with both and see what you feel is the best for your needs. How it feels in hand, ease of use one handed, flat vs curved screen and biometrics. The finger primt sensor is in a horrible location on the Samsung and the curves can cause fits for many when it comes to typing. The camera is personal preference. I still love my G6 but my S8+ was way faster at capturing images.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Con for both is 18/9 ratio. Almost everything in Youtube and tv is 16/9. I read in portrait view and the 18/9 are too narrow especially with curved edges.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I use a lot of excel docs for pricing at work and I used to just pull my iPad out bit with the new screen ratio I can see so many more columns I just use my phone now. It's been great.
Yup but in landscape view try inputting data. When the keyboard comes up you're lucky if you can see one row. So you switch to portrait view and now see fewer columns not more.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thinking of a switch but needed some insight to make an educated decision. Thank you

G6 will be much easier to hold and use because of the flat glass screen and shape, the S8+ is actually very long in shape so pulling down notification bar can be annoying. Also, if you like cases and screen protectors, you can forget about using a screen protector on the S8+ as the curves are too difficult to even bother with. S8+ however will have a much more advanced camera, with an excellent front facing 8MP camera with focus and rear dual pixel camera that can focus instantly and look great in low light. The G6 has a unique wide angle camera at 13MP, no other smartphone in the market has that. I myself use the wide angle very often however have issues with focus speed in low light, that's where the S8+ wins. S8+ has a SD 835 and 3500 mAh battery, which means the battery is extremely efficient and you'll get very good battery performance, whereas the G6 has a smaller battery of 3300 mAh and a less efficient SD 821. And last but not least, the S8+ has a beautiful Super AMOLED display whereas the LG G6 has an IPS display. If you're concerned with burn in, the G6 is the better option, if not the S8+ is a clear winner with literally the best screen on a smartphone.

If you already own a G6, I'd say keep it. The S8+ is pretty expensive at $850 +tax and not really worth it IMO. If you absolutely need a lowlight and fast focus speed camera, opt for the older S7 or S7 Edge which is much cheaper in price.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
About the battery ^^ most reviewers say the G6 in everyday use is more efficient with the 'older chip' than the S8 is.

The G6 is substantially more consistent. I could bank on 6 1/2 hours screen on time. The S8/S8+ fluctuates alot more, sometimes by over an hour.

Sadly I have given up my G6 as of a couple hours ago. One of my employees had his phone and other stuff stolen over the weekend so Ive given him my G6.