Software Updates (Lack there of)

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Anybody slightly concerned that we havent seen any updates in a while and that the current security is still April? Im a little shocked that we havent had at least the May update yet.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Anybody slightly concerned that we havent seen any updates in a while and that the current security is still April? Im a little shocked that we havent had at least the May update yet.

Which carrier?

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Updates generally come from the carriers and I am on Verizon which is notoriously slow with their updates. So, I am not shocked at all. Updates come when they do, I don't worry about them.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
If updates are tied with "carrier" -- never expect anything fast... If at all ...

Im just kinda shocked that Samsung has gotten the May and June (Unlocked versions) out and we havent heard a word from LG. I thought we were supposed to see an update dedicated to the camera as well.

mitul_mehta

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
LG V20 got an update in May straight after Dec so you can imagine the time they take. FYI, 7.1.2 is being planned to roll out by end of this month/early July

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Updates generally come from the carriers and I am on Verizon which is notoriously slow with their updates. So, I am not shocked at all. Updates come when they do, I don't worry about them.

Check the scoreboard. Verizon isn't slow with updates on flagships.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Eh, normal useage of your phone and keeping an eye on attachments is fine even if your security patch isn't up to date. I wouldn't be too concerned. you'll likely get rhe most up to date patch when the OS is upgraded.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. Considering my last phone (Droid Turbo) didn't even get a Stagefright patch for over a year after the fix was available... And didn't get Marshmallow until after Nougat was released... no I'm not too worried about my experience with this phone yet.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Where did you get that info? I ask because I've searched on and off and haven't found anything recent regarding the G6 and OS updates.

All Ive found is 1 site (Androidsfinest, whom Ive never heard of) saying "rumors have speculated" that the V20 and G5 will go straight to 7.1.2.

I wouldnt buy into that too much.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
My LG's are April also but all my BlackBerrys are June. That's why these LG's and Samsung are out the door..
It makes sense that Blackberrys get updated faster. It's much easter to roll out updates to the 6 people they've sold the phones to, vs the 6,000,000 Samsung sells. ;)

LOL sorry, couldn't resist. The only experience with Blackberry i've had since I owned the 9000, 9700, then 9800 Torch (garbage) is watching my friend constantly swear at his piece of turd Priv. If that's indication of their recent hardware...i'm glad I left.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It makes sense that Blackberrys get updated faster. It's much easter to roll out updates to the 6 people they've sold the phones to, vs the 6,000,000 Samsung sells. ;)

LOL sorry, couldn't resist. The only experience with Blackberry i've had since I owned the 9000, 9700, then 9800 Torch (garbage) is watching my friend constantly swear at his piece of turd Priv. If that's indication of their recent hardware...i'm glad I left.

Snark aside, BlackBerry also committed to security updates. And in some months have beaten Google's devices to security updates.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
If updates are tied with "carrier" -- never expect anything fast... If at all ...

Unfortunately this is how things currently work but with Android 'O' and obviously "Project Treble" coming in the future.

The various OEMs can push out updates without having to rely on Qualcomm or Broadcoms to make large changes to the underlying core Android framework before releasing. 😃

So faster updates are definitely coming but for now, we have to wait a little.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Watching my friend constantly swear at his piece of turd Priv. If that's indication of their recent hardware...i'm glad I left.

Well, thats 2015 hardware and the specs are very good for that year. The DTEK60 was hardware for 2016 and there is another all touch device coming later this year 😃

Blackberry is definitely not for everyone but each to his own. I absolutely love my "piece of turd Priv" and it's OK if people don't understand why. That's why the market has so many different brands 😃 We all prefer something different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34