Software Updates (Lack there of)

hoytbowhunter

Trusted Member
May 8, 2016
Visit site
It makes sense that Blackberrys get updated faster. It's much easter to roll out updates to the 6 people they've sold the phones to, vs the 6,000,000 Samsung sells. ;)

LOL sorry, couldn't resist. The only experience with Blackberry i've had since I owned the 9000, 9700, then 9800 Torch (garbage) is watching my friend constantly swear at his piece of turd Priv. If that's indication of their recent hardware...i'm glad I left.
I'm using the KEYᴼᴺᴱ and there's no problems. My LG G6 is where my problems are.

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It makes sense that Blackberrys get updated faster. It's much easter to roll out updates to the 6 people they've sold the phones to, vs the 6,000,000 Samsung sells. ;)

LOL sorry, couldn't resist. The only experience with Blackberry i've had since I owned the 9000, 9700, then 9800 Torch (garbage) is watching my friend constantly swear at his piece of turd Priv. If that's indication of their recent hardware...i'm glad I left.

maybe you should use one before you trash it. the priv was a solid performer in my experience. additionally, they are known for getting the updates out as part of their "most secure android phone" statement. if blackberry, with its limited resources can push them out, i would expect that samsung with its limitless resources could push them out. the other bottleneck is the carrier. lastly, i am using a tmo branded g6 and am on the april security patch.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Snark aside, BlackBerry also committed to security updates. And in some months have beaten Google's devices to security updates.

Samsung and LG also guaranteed monthly security updates when the program started, but have never had two consecutive months where it was a kept promise.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
If you concerned about security updates get a pixel or a blackberry. But I agree, they are over rated and even BlackBerry has missed a few.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not to people who care about them. I say Quad DACs are overrated but I am sure you would disagree :p.

That's my opinion based on the fact that I've never had an issue with slow security updates causing me grief and I've been through some really slow updates. Someone else may have other experience and wants their updates right away, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I've course I would disagree with Quad DACs being regarded as overrated, however i have no issue with someone who does. That's a personnel choice. I have different appreciation for sound then the average person.
Some people buy a smartphone for its camera, I don't...you might. Again, personal choice.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's my opinion based on the fact that I've never had an issue with slow security updates causing me grief and I've been through some really slow updates. Someone else may have other experience and wants their updates right away, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I've course I would disagree with Quad DACs being regarded as overrated, however i have no issue with someone who does. That's a personnel choice. I have different appreciation for sound then the average person.
Some people buy a smartphone for its camera, I don't...you might. Again, personal choice.

And I agree .. But the thread is obviously about wanting the updates so to the OP and others .. it isn't overrated :).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
And I agree .. But the thread is obviously about wanting the updates so to the OP and others .. it isn't overrated :).

Right.... And his first post the OP asked in the very first post if anyone was slightly concerned. My first response was not all.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
The reason I asked was we heard about a camera update released in Asia shortly after the release of the phone but I haven't seen an update regarding the camera yet. Then I realized we were still on Aprils security even though it's been quite a while since we got that update. LG stated in 2015 they would do monthly updates so we should have seen May by now.

Since we haven't seen any updates in what seems like a really long time, are we going to be delayed substantially in getting at least 7.1.1 and possibly Android O.

The security updates don't concern me that much but the lack of even those does.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The reason I asked was we heard about a camera update released in Asia shortly after the release of the phone but I haven't seen an update regarding the camera yet. Then I realized we were still on Aprils security even though it's been quite a while since we got that update. LG stated in 2015 they would do monthly updates so we should have seen May by now.

Since we haven't seen any updates in what seems like a really long time, are we going to be delayed substantially in getting at least 7.1.1 and possibly Android O.

The security updates don't concern me that much but the lack of even those does.

I can understand people worrying about security updates. I don't recall how many I've gotten since Verizon release but it wasn't that many. I'm sure we will get another one soon.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't have too much faith. I mean I hope LG proves me wrong .. But if we are going off a quote from 2015 and seeing how the updates are already slow .. well I think it is safe to say they aren't holding themselves to their work.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Maybe there's no security issues to issue a patch for. 👍. A lot of paranoia and distress on something that to me is just a big who cares.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Im just kinda shocked that Samsung has gotten the May and June (Unlocked versions) out and we havent heard a word from LG. I thought we were supposed to see an update dedicated to the camera as well.

I didn't they were updating the camera. Do you know what they were trying to fix in the camera?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I didn't they were updating the camera. Do you know what they were trying to fix in the camera?

Here it is.

LG G6 Gets Better With Refreshed Update in Korea

LG G6 OTA update rolling out in Korea with improved camera quality, better touch performance and more – The Android Soul

This was released more than 2 months ago in Korea but we havent seen anything here. This is pretty much the reason for the thread. If we're staying 2 months behind on security updates (almost 3 months now), how long will it take to get the updates that actually improve the phone?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Here it is.

LG G6 Gets Better With Refreshed Update in Korea

LG G6 OTA update rolling out in Korea with improved camera quality, better touch performance and more – The Android Soul

This was released more than 2 months ago in Korea but we havent seen anything here. This is pretty much the reason for the thread. If we're staying 2 months behind on security updates (almost 3 months now), how long will it take to get the updates that actually improve the phone?

I lost my head for a moment. I was taking about the V20.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon