Software Updates (Lack there of)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There is one -- every month. Lol XD

Yeah, missing a single patch might be a "meh" thing to some people, but most companies are 2-3 months behind consistently on multiple devices. I don't actually understand why some people don't care about security, but that is one of the biggest deal breaker issues out there for me. If the company doesn't care about security, most other things that they're doing really don't matter much.

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
The unlocked G5 rs988 just recieved to the May patch a few days ago. At one time it was almost 6 months between updates before they sent the 7.0 upgrage with april patch in early May so you arent too behind.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Still on March security update, so yes it's definitely a problem for me. For their latest flagship should at least get a security update quarterly at minimum and probably should be on 7.1 by now. I like the hardware, but updates are important to me. I will likely go back to Nexus/Pixel in the fall.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Still on March security update, so yes it's definitely a problem for me. For their latest flagship should at least get a security update quarterly at minimum and probably should be on 7.1 by now. I like the hardware, but updates are important to me. I will likely go back to Nexus/Pixel in the fall.
This is the only thing I dislike about the G6...

eneuro

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Where's over here?
Europe
952a177fc223d2a320119dac31a22bbd.jpg

eneuro

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Where's over here?
Europe, posted a pic even but for some reason doesn't wanna upload.
I dont know about that. Theres quite a few unloocked phones running 7.1 and current security updates. Even Samsung has gotten them out in a reasonable time frame and thats unheard of.
The few phones from big ones running it came out like 2-3 months after the release of s8/G6. Thats not a good enough reason tho, shame on LG and Samsung being stucked on 7.0. Both suck on equal level tho, June here with 10l

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Europe, posted a pic even but for some reason doesn't wanna upload.

The few phones from big ones running it came out like 2-3 months after the release of s8/G6. Thats not a good enough reason tho, shame on LG and Samsung being stucked on 7.0. Both suck on equal level tho, June here with 10l

Axon 7, OnePlus have both been running 7.1 long before. OnePlus happened around the same time the G6 came out. Axon started releasing it in December. The unlocked S8 and S8+ have had June since the beginning of June. Other carrier versions are starting to get June as of yesterday.

Motos started getting it in November and some HTC phones as well.

eneuro

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Axon 7, OnePlus have both been running 7.1 long before. OnePlus happened around the same time the G6 came out. Axon started releasing it in December. The unlocked S8 and S8+ have had June since the beginning of June. Other carrier versions are starting to get June as of yesterday.

Motos started getting it in November and some HTC phones as well.
Hence "big names"

hawklet00

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
honestly, if security updates are important to have (and to get consistently) you need to get a pixel or a blackberry. those are the only two that have been getting the updates consistantly

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure, I haven't had chance to dig around yet. What did LG promise this big update with the G6+ was going to bring us?
Been thinking of flashing the European version to get rid of the carrier bloat that came with my phone. Are you able to disable or uninstall Quickmemo+ on the euro version?

nathdogg1985

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Been thinking of flashing the European version to get rid of the carrier bloat that came with my phone. Are you able to disable or uninstall Quickmemo+ on the euro version?
Not without using Root package disabler and an adb command. That was the only way I could disable it.

Its pretty straight forward though and also allows you to disable other bloat at the same time.