Do you actually use the waterproof feature?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually "water-resistant". This was one of the reason why they sacrificed the removable battery. Just wondering, do you actually use the water-proof feature? If so, how often? Swimming? Taking it in the snow? I know salt water​ will damage the phone so you can't really bring it in the ocean.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I use it to clean off my screens when they get dusty from outside. I've used it once to cool down my overheated phone. I've taken other ip68 phones in the pool to take pics but haven't tried it on the G6 yet.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I don't purposely get it wet, but I like knowing that if it accidentally does, it won't be a catastrophic incident and I have to replace a high end device. peace of mind and all that.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's probably a feature most don't want to 'use.' Though, using it in the rain or accidently dropping it in the sink are not a concern, which is good enough for most.

hoytbowhunter

Trusted Member
May 8, 2016
Visit site
If you read both Apple and Samsungs warranty papers that are in the box it states that the phone is not waterproof, only water resistant, So if it gets ruined due to water it will NOT be covered under warranty. As Ry said in the above comment it's for “just in case” only.
Now I don't know if LG is different and the LG phones I own aren't waterproof or ever claimed to be.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you read both Apple and Samsungs warranty papers that are in the box it states that the phone is not waterproof, only water resistant, So if it gets ruined due to water it will NOT be covered under warranty. As Ry said in the above comment it's for “just in case” only.
Now I don't know if LG is different and the LG phones I own aren't waterproof or ever claimed to be.

No phone is waterproof

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I rinse mine off under the tap frequently, plus it's been splashed at the pool. Only a few more days of that until I put a dbrand skin on it however, then it's back to keeping it as far away from water as I can.

lightrules

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I use my G6 in the pool and in the shower and wash it under the faucet to clean it all the time. It works just fine. I don't baby it. I'm going to use it like I see all those commercials and ads. :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
As long as you're aware that it is only resistant to room temperature tap water that is not moving, getting it wet isn't really much of an issue. The people that put it in swimming pools, salt water, hot tubs, etc. are just ignorant - and while I don't hope that their phone is destroyed, we all know that's possible (and in salt water and hot tubs, incredibly likely) and that the warranty will not cover this abuse of the device by the user.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Also, the Cat S60 is not exactly "waterproof". It is water resistant up to 5 meters, only when a switch is enabled that closes off the audio ports. It is also IP68, and is only resistant to room temperature tap water that is not moving (no current, no jets, no chemicals) - just at a deeper depth than the S8, G6, etc.

lightrules

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
As long as you're aware that it is only resistant to room temperature tap water that is not moving, getting it wet isn't really much of an issue. The people that put it in swimming pools, salt water, hot tubs, etc. are just ignorant - and while I don't hope that their phone is destroyed, we all know that's possible (and in salt water and hot tubs, incredibly likely) and that the warranty will not cover this abuse of the device by the user.

Blah blah blah. It's just a device man. Use it and move on. Nothing to do with ignorance, at least not on my part.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Ironically you'll see people using waterproof smartphone bags although their phone is supposedly water-resistant.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Blah blah blah. It's just a device man. Use it and move on. Nothing to do with ignorance, at least not on my part.
I think you might have taken my comments as directed towards you and they were directed towards the thread so sorry for the confusion. My comment is that most people see the commercials and the water resistance rating and think that the phone is safe to use under water and that is absolutely not the case. So if you are already aware that these devices are not safe to use underwater then the comment definitely does not apply to you.

lightrules

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I think you might have taken my comments as directed towards you and they were directed towards the thread so sorry for the confusion. My comment is that most people see the commercials and the water resistance rating and think that the phone is safe to use under water and that is absolutely not the case. So if you are already aware that these devices are not safe to use underwater then the comment definitely does not apply to you.

Ok got it. Sorry about firing back like that. Didn't want to start my day by being called ignorant ;-) My bad.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I consider it insurance. However, when I splashed gasoline on my phone, I did take it to the nearest sink and rinsed it off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2