Something weird happened

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
So I put my phone on the charger in the middle of night around four something in the morning EST. I woke up with the sun shining through my window directly on my phone but I paid that no attention at first. I picked my phone up to check the time and it was scorching hot, so I immediately unplugged it and went back to sleep. The battery was at 68%. I woke up forty minutes later and the phone was still hot and that's when I noticed that it was directly in the sun. So I cut it off and put it under one of my pillows away from the "sun" and boom. It was back to normal when I cut it on.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So I put my phone on the charger in the middle of night around four something in the morning EST. I woke up with the sun shining through my window directly on my phone but I paid that no attention at first. I picked my phone up to check the time and it was scorching hot, so I immediately unplugged it and went back to sleep. The battery was at 68%. I woke up forty minutes later and the phone was still hot and that's when I noticed that it was directly in the sun. So I cut it off and put it under one of my pillows away from the "sun" and boom. It was back to normal when I cut it on.

The fact the battery was at 68 percent means something was draining it. If you are on Verizon some phones got stuck on a network update and drained peoples batteries until reboot. If you are not on Verizon something else drained you.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
The fact the battery was at 68 percent means something was draining it. If you are on Verizon some phones got stuck on a network update and drained peoples batteries until reboot. If you are not on Verizon something else drained you.
I'm on sprint and I checked the battery. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary after I took it off the charger accept that it was scorching hot. My phone never gets hot while charging. Plus it was weird that it was still that hot after forty minutes of not being on the charger

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm on sprint and I checked the battery. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary after I took it off the charger accept that it was scorching hot. My phone never gets hot while charging. Plus it was weird that it was still that hot after forty minutes of not being on the charger
*except

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Why was your phone so low?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, sunlight can cause a device to go very hot and cut itself off from power (you can thank the Note 7 fiasco for that, most manufacturers now have better protections for that, so they might be overly protective). I've noticed that on the S8 when on my dashboard I'll get the 'too hot to charge' warning a lot more than I did with other phones.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, sunlight can cause a device to go very hot and cut itself off from power (you can thank the Note 7 fiasco for that, most manufacturers now have better protections for that, so they might be overly protective). I've noticed that on the S8 when on my dashboard I'll get the 'too hot to charge' warning a lot more than I did with other phones.
Mines didn't cut off though, it continued to charge which is the weird part.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
But it might have had diminished charge speed. If it got hot enough to slow down charging but not too hot to be damaging to the internal components (even though to the touch it might be too hot).

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
But it might have had diminished charge speed. If it got hot enough to slow down charging but not too hot to be damaging to the internal components (even though to the touch it might be too hot).
That's probably what happened. I'll report back if I notice any differences in battery life or if it happens again.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What time was it in direct sunlight? Inside a house, I doubt it would be able to get THAT warm in sunlight (inside a car is a different story, as its like an oven).

Were you using the charging cable that came with the phone?

Also, if you were gaming with it all day, it's very possible one of the game apps got stuck or something and kept the phone running in the background. Do you have GSAM battery monitor installed? If so, what did it say was running?

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
5:30am est and I was home. Where I live, the sun shines directly through my window 😥. I only use the cable that comes with phone and I always clear my gaming apps after using them. I have accubattery pro. Nothing was running

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
5:30am est and I was home. Where I live, the sun shines directly through my window 😥. I only use the cable that comes with phone and I always clear my gaming apps after using them. I have accubattery pro. Nothing was running

I've never had a situation where nothing is running, unless it was when the phone was turned off. If you have developer options enabled, go to "running services" and see what is active.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I've never had a situation where nothing is running, unless it was when the phone was turned off. If you have developer options enabled, go to "running services" and see what is active.
Nothing was running that was consuming a lot of battery lol. Just the CPU and screen

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Even in the desert, the sun shouldn't be hot enough at 5:30am to cause the phone to heat up that much.

I suppose the windows could act as a magnifier of sorts depending on the type of windows you have. It more so sounds like something was running in the background.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Even in the desert, the sun shouldn't be hot enough at 5:30am to cause the phone to heat up that much.

I suppose the windows could act as a magnifier of sorts depending on the type of windows you have. It more so sounds like something was running in the background.
Turns out it's my battery. It gets very hot just by scrolling on facebook or just instagram. I'll exchange whenever I get time to go to a sprint store