G6 using wrong messaging app

shadokat_ph

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I'm not sure if this belongs here but if I need to move it I will.

I have a LG G6 running Android 7 (of course). The date it says The last security patch was applied is March 17, 2017 and The android build is NRD90U. Carrier is T-Mobile. I've been using Go SMS Pro as my default messaging app and until today have had no problems. But all of a sudden today my text messages from people are not showing in Go SMS at all. Instead they are only showing up in the stock messaging app, which I really hate. Go SMS is set as the default messaging app. I removed the default setting from Go SMS, rebooted the phone, changed the default back to Go SMS, and rebooted again. The messages are still going to the stock messaging app and don't show up in Go SMS. When I send a message from Go SMS it appears in both apps.

I've read about the new stock messaging app, android messaging, that's going into some android builds. The articles I read said that Google is trying to strongly push the new messaging app. But my stock messenger is still called Messenger and my carrier, T-Mobile, hasn't joined in the push to use android messaging. So I don't think that's the problem. There was no patch to my (android) software today that I saw. No update is available for Go SMS. I don't know what to do and I can't find where anyone else has documented this problem. I may post this question in multiple areas where I feel it may be appropriate. I hope that's ok.

Has anybody out there experienced this and what did you do to fix it? Thanks.

Penny

Joe Clark3

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I literally just had a message so this. But not all my messages. Just one.

I am on the att variant and I use Pulse for my text messages

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As someone who has encountered some third party SMS issues, I can understand your pain. As another user said, try to uninstall and reinstall. Also, if all else fails, see if another third party variant, like Textra or Chomp SMS, encounters the same issue.

shadokat_ph

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all of your suggestions. After an uninstall/reinstall, the problem didn't go away so I decided to replace it. Bummer because I'm a VIP member of Go SMS so all my themes were free (the paid ones too). I have used Go SMS for most of my text messaging life and I'm sad to see it go. I decided on the mood messaging app as a replacement since the main thing I liked the Go SMS app for was all of the beautiful themes. Mood messaging doesn't have nearly enough free themes, but I can customize the backgrounds of the contact and conversation screens with any picture I want. It has a huge selection of downloadable backgrounds and I can import them from my phone as well. It's called mood messenger because it looks at the words you type into messages and suggests emojis. I don't use that feature much. You can use it for SMS and other messenger apps like Facebook or Google. One thing I have noticed is that it feels much "crisper" than Go SMS. Go SMS always felt heavy, like it used a lot of resources (which it did). This one still has my overly fancy interface but doesn't lag the phone as much. I also like that it puts up "chat head" bubbles when I get a message, and they sit there until I read it. I may be losing Facebook messenger if this can replace all its features. Thank you again for all of your suggestions. Changing to a new SMS app has solved the problem.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all of your suggestions. After an uninstall/reinstall, the problem didn't go away so I decided to replace it. Bummer because I'm a VIP member of Go SMS so all my themes were free (the paid ones too). I have used Go SMS for most of my text messaging life and I'm sad to see it go. I decided on the mood messaging app as a replacement since the main thing I liked the Go SMS app for was all of the beautiful themes. Mood messaging doesn't have nearly enough free themes, but I can customize the backgrounds of the contact and conversation screens with any picture I want. It has a huge selection of downloadable backgrounds and I can import them from my phone as well. It's called mood messenger because it looks at the words you type into messages and suggests emojis. I don't use that feature much. You can use it for SMS and other messenger apps like Facebook or Google. One thing I have noticed is that it feels much "crisper" than Go SMS. Go SMS always felt heavy, like it used a lot of resources (which it did). This one still has my overly fancy interface but doesn't lag the phone as much. I also like that it puts up "chat head" bubbles when I get a message, and they sit there until I read it. I may be losing Facebook messenger if this can replace all its features. Thank you again for all of your suggestions. Changing to a new SMS app has solved the problem.

So glad you are able to user another SMS app, and that you are liking it so far! I may try Mood Messenger out myself! Haha. Enjoy!

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue using Android Messages. It started with just my Dad but after deleting the app, all my texts, deleting data/cashe and reinstalling Android Messages I was able to receive my Dad's texts in that app. BUT... Now I can't receive his pictures for some reason and I've notice I can't receive texts from a couple other people in that app but they show up in LG messaging even though that's not the default.

I've used Textra and that worked fine except I would get two text conversations for my Dad. I really like Android messages so I really don't want to change but I may have to until there's a fix. I wish LG would just make AM the default texting app on their phones. I can't send gifs or bitmojis in their app for some reason otherwise I'd use that.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This same thing is happening on my V20 also. I have Chomp set as my default messaging app and have text messages coming through on the stock app randomly. Must be an LG problem.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I had a little trouble with this kind of thing when I first started trying 3rd party SMS apps years ago. I was surprised when I installed Textra on my G6 and it worked absolutely as I expected (which it did not quite do without some fiddling on my previous phone) just by making Textra the default messaging app, which I believe it prompted me to do. I was so happy with how well Textra is integrated (being able to reply right within the notifications for example) that it actually pushed me over the edge to pay to get rid of the ads!

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I think I have an answer for you guys which I stumbled on inadvertently.

The issue you may be seeing is if you are receiving some RCS messages. This is a different protocol than SMS and MMS but is handled by the stock messaging app, at least T-Mobile's and possibly AT&T's. 3rd party messaging apps typically are not supporting RCS yet, so those messages get picked up by the standard messaging app.

The standard messaging app still sees all the SMS and MMS incoming and outgoing too, which is why it shows you everything.

If this is the case, only people on your same carrier would be able to send you RCS messages, and only if they use the up-to-date apps that can send them - but it is entirely possible that this is their default setting and they have no idea.

The fix in this case is to go into the built-in messaging app and turn off the Advanced Messaging (whatever they call it specifically) option. That makes it so the carrier knows your phone doesn't work with RCS and it will force everyone to send you SMS instead, and they'all go to your 3rd party app just fine.

Tim Isfeldt

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue on the LG v20, apparently there's a new chat feature or some other advanced settings under Androids messages Advanced section under the settings menu, but I'm with T-Mobile, and I don't see it those options that they mention. But with the stock messaging app, I can send / receive MMS messages. Also, speaking of Android messages, and I rated this on the Google Play Store, and there's been no update to it! But I can send, but not receive messages from short codes such as for example my bank, or my carrier. When I send a message to my bank with for example the word b a l short for balance, it says send, but I never received a response. Any other app, Pulse SMS phone / tablet works, the stock messaging app works, there's others that I've tried if that work, but Android messages refuses to work. I don't know why, but and every other case I can send messages to phone numbers such as Mike carrier, or my bank, to check the weather at cetera, but an Android messages this fails for whatever reason. And I've also have Carrier Services installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36