LG G6 a flop? Low sales?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
With the new mainstream design and features, we would think sales would be great. Though according to sources, they're not doing so well. What could LG do to improve, especially if they already tried to be mainstream?

lightrules

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
More advertising. Here in southern California, I have never seen an LG G6 TV commercial; I regularly see Samsung S8 ads. If they did something showing the gorgeous 5.7" flat screen, IP68 rating, wide angle lens photos, etc, I think it would help a lot. But I am just as stunned as any G6 owner that sales aren't that good. The phone is simply fantastic. I wonder if it actually had a SD835 if it would have changed things up some more though. Even if the performance difference isn't that much from the SD821, in people's minds it's about the latest and greatest.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well it's definitely an uphill battle. Walk into any Best Buy (near me anyway) and what do you see? Big Samsung experience with numerous S8 and S8+s. Then you have the iPhone section. Then you have a small area with the rest of the phones they decide to carry most aren't even working units.

The G6 is great and I prefer it but LG has to restore faith in my opinion. Put out several good phones without issues. Get people taking. My thoughts anyway.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
It all comes down to marketing. If they can't afford to blitz the media with ads and pay for prime advertising in stores, it's going to be hard to get to the masses.

I could walk down the street and ask 100 people to name an LG phone and I'm not sure 20% of them could. Say iPhone or Samsung and I bet that number is close to 90%. Only hardcore tech fans know about these other brands because we research constantly.

One of the best phones on the market that's sold at Best Buy has never been heard of besides in forums like this. Even the sales people at Best Buy know nothing about it. But I bet one of the next 3 people in this thread could tell me what it is without even the brand name. They, like LG either can't afford the marketing or don't care to.

LG needs to get in the face of the average consumer with engaging commercials, not promotions like a Google home. They built an amazing phone and completely ignored how to promote it. Quite frankly they do that with all of their electronics. LG makes one of the best OLED tv's on the market but you won't ever see a commercial for it while you'll see a dozen a night for a 4k Samsung tv.

Gotta spend money to make money.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd say it's 50% marketing...but also 50% gimmickry.
Samsung is way ahead on both, but that doesn't make for a better device...just for better sales. They understand that people are attracted to shiny new toys, so just making a plain-looking rectangle isn't enough. People see the fancy curves, the colorful advertisements, the big displays in the stores...and they are like moths to a flame.

I admit, the S8 is great looking. It LOOKS nicer than the G6. But when I thought about how I use my phone, about how I would have to protect that curved screen and how problematic just that one aspect would be...I leaned towards the G6. Then there was the price. Man, I just can't justify spending that much on the S8. I'm quite happy with my decision.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
True, Samsung Market machine is unmatched by LG at all, that's why LG will automatically lose to Samsung, while the s8 is good phone, it really hasn't anything special over G6

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Personally, and I am typing this on my S8+, I feel that marketing is a huge proponent to any companies success and Samsung is better at marketing. The thing on this forum though is that a large portion are tech lovers and do a lot of research when deciding on a device. I had the Google Pixel, and while a great device that i loved, I was left wanting more. I chose between the S8+ and the G6 and for my wants and needs, the S8+ squeaked by with the win.

The general consumer however goes with what they KNOW. That is why Apple and Samsung are the top 2 mobile device companies in the world. Everyone knows them and sees them so they go with them. LG, HTC, etc. just do not market near as well which makes their sales less even though they make devices that match the S8/S8+. To each his own though and luckily there are a lot of Android devices so everyone can get what they feel they need or want. :)

buzzard75

May 15, 2017
Visit site
The general consumer however goes with what they KNOW.

This is a huge part of it and just as important as marketing. Some of it is "what they KNOW" and some of it is just good customer relations though. If you can't build a good relationship with your current customers, they're likely not going to stay no matter how strong your marketing game is.

I'm in the market for a new phone right now myself and the G6 has caught my eye, but I've never owned an LG product before. I don't know anything about them as a company and what their customer support is like which leaves me hesitant. I have owned a Motorola before and I know I want nothing to do with them. I currently own a Nokia and it's hands down the best phone I've ever owned. However, Nokia isn't what they used to be after trading hands a couple times so I question them. Not to mention not having a flagship device available and I can't wait until the 9 comes out to get a new phone. My wife has a Samsung and I've owned other Samsung products (TV's, monitors, etc.) so I would be fine with them as a company, but I just flat out don't like the design of the S8/S8+.

So I'm kind of left struggling with a decision on what to do. I'm almost certainly going to have to take a risk on a company I've never dealt with before. Then the decision becomes, do I go with a big name or someone less notable?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I got rid of an S7 for a G5 that was cheap a couple months ago. I'm very happy with that decision. I won't be going back to samsung, the camera was good but there was always lag and stutters, could not rely on the battery life at all. Was always topping it off because I never knew how long it would last. This G5, same chipset, same apps I run, has less bloat and gets the best battery life I've ever had on a carrier phone. I can get through a day and the performance has been much better and more consistent. After years of dealing with samsung's software and poor battery life I can't fathom going back now. I like LG for the most part, there are some great features and I'm switching carriers soon so I'll likely get a G6. Just waiting to see if we get the G6+ here in the US.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I got rid of an S7 for a G5 that was cheap a couple months ago. I'm very happy with that decision. I won't be going back to samsung, the camera was good but there was always lag and stutters, could not rely on the battery life at all. Was always topping it off because I never knew how long it would last. This G5, same chipset, same apps I run, has less bloat and gets the best battery life I've ever had on a carrier phone. I can get through a day and the performance has been much better and more consistent. After years of dealing with samsung's software and poor battery life I can't fathom going back now. I like LG for the most part, there are some great features and I'm switching carriers soon so I'll likely get a G6. Just waiting to see if we get the G6+ here in the US.

One of the reasons why I moved from Samsung to LG was because of the better OS experience, RAM, and battery management. The battery is definitely much more reliable than any Samsung I've owned. Samsung is great still, but LG has got the whole package.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Personally, and I am typing this on my S8+, I feel that marketing is a huge proponent to any companies success and Samsung is better at marketing. The thing on this forum though is that a large portion are tech lovers and do a lot of research when deciding on a device. I had the Google Pixel, and while a great device that i loved, I was left wanting more. I chose between the S8+ and the G6 and for my wants and needs, the S8+ squeaked by with the win.

The general consumer however goes with what they KNOW. That is why Apple and Samsung are the top 2 mobile device companies in the world. Everyone knows them and sees them so they go with them. LG, HTC, etc. just do not market near as well which makes their sales less even though they make devices that match the S8/S8+. To each his own though and luckily there are a lot of Android devices so everyone can get what they feel they need or want. :)

Do you think the whole bootloop thing had to do any of it? I see comments people posting, "My G4/V10 bootlooped, I'll never get an LG ever again!" Maybe they should have publicly apologized and or create a commercial showing that they fixed it like Samsung's battery QA test commercial. But still, true, Samsung and Apple has the market on a chokehold, doesn't matter unless they create a massive marketing campaign, all they really have is Instagram and Facebook. They need to hire more brand advocates across the nation like Samsung has at Best Buy, constantly pushing for Samsung phones.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new phone right now myself and the G6 has caught my eye, but I've never owned an LG product before. I don't know anything about them as a company and what their customer support is like which leaves me hesitant.

I'll start by saying their software is great.

Now the story: Black Friday 2015 I bought, used from some dude off Craigslist, a V10 for cheap. (Back then, it was a brand new model.) Worked great. Fast forward to a year later, December 2016, I'm sitting at dinner and it bootlooped. Well, at least I knew what was going on. I fell back to an older phone I had while I figured out what to do. I ended up buying another V10 off of Swappa. While it was working great, I wondered what to do with my broken one. Smash it into pieces was my Plan A, as it had my stuff on it and wouldn't boot. But I just let it sit there while I pondered things. Call me lazy.

My laziness paid off. A few weeks later on a lark I hit LG's web site, and found mobile repairs. Huh. So I filled out the form, left the "what paperwork do you have" section blank, used the word "bootloop" in the problem description--and despite it being secondhand AND out of warranty, LG's site gave me a return label! I sent that baby in and tracked it. They received it, repaired it, and shipped it back to me all in the same day--at NO CHARGE to me at all. It was out of my hands for a week total, and now it works fine.

I kept using my second V10, and a month later it bootlooped as well. Nothing to lose, right? I hit LG"s web site and did the process again. This time the thing was WAY out of warranty (both of my phones were manufacture date of October 2015)--which only meant that I had to pay shipping to LG. Otherwise, I got the exact same treatment as the first one. They got it, repaired it, and shipped it out all in one day--at absolutely NO CHARGE to me.

To reiterate: Two V10s, each with the same bootloop issue, each bought used, each out of warranty, and for each one LG did what was right.

I still have them, even though I've moved on to a different phone. (Want one?) But between that and their desktop software and phone software being good, I'm probably going to look very hard at the V30. They've earned at least that from me.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll start by saying their software is great.

Now the story: Black Friday 2015 I bought, used from some dude off Craigslist, a V10 for cheap. (Back then, it was a brand new model.) Worked great. Fast forward to a year later, December 2016, I'm sitting at dinner and it bootlooped. Well, at least I knew what was going on. I fell back to an older phone I had while I figured out what to do. I ended up buying another V10 off of Swappa. While it was working great, I wondered what to do with my broken one. Smash it into pieces was my Plan A, as it had my stuff on it and wouldn't boot. But I just let it sit there while I pondered things. Call me lazy.

My laziness paid off. A few weeks later on a lark I hit LG's web site, and found mobile repairs. Huh. So I filled out the form, left the "what paperwork do you have" section blank, used the word "bootloop" in the problem description--and despite it being secondhand AND out of warranty, LG's site gave me a return label! I sent that baby in and tracked it. They received it, repaired it, and shipped it back to me all in the same day--at NO CHARGE to me at all. It was out of my hands for a week total, and now it works fine.

I kept using my second V10, and a month later it bootlooped as well. Nothing to lose, right? I hit LG"s web site and did the process again. This time the thing was WAY out of warranty (both of my phones were manufacture date of October 2015)--which only meant that I had to pay shipping to LG. Otherwise, I got the exact same treatment as the first one. They got it, repaired it, and shipped it out all in one day--at absolutely NO CHARGE to me.

To reiterate: Two V10s, each with the same bootloop issue, each bought used, each out of warranty, and for each one LG did what was right.

I still have them, even though I've moved on to a different phone. (Want one?) But between that and their desktop software and phone software being good, I'm probably going to look very hard at the V30. They've earned at least that from me.

Wow, glad you had a great experience with LG. What the heck was causing the bootloops? I've used the V10 before and thought it was great. Very happy with the V20 and hope they learned from the whole bootloop fiasco.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
they had pretty terrible marketing when it first came out. How could they not have commercials just playing "Like a G6" non stop?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
With the new mainstream design and features, we would think sales would be great. Though according to sources, they're not doing so well. What could LG do to improve, especially if they already tried to be mainstream?

The market is tough and it is hard to get over brand recognition that samsung and apple have.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Wow, glad you had a great experience with LG. What the heck was causing the bootloops? I've used the V10 before and thought it was great. Very happy with the V20 and hope they learned from the whole bootloop fiasco.

The design was bad to begin with, plus I think they had manufacturing problems. Overworked processor that caused heat, processor was located in a very bad spot where the heat caused problems, manufacturing issues revealed themselves.

It's not that they screwed up that matters; it's how they took care of things that counts. They took care of things well.

A few years ago Samsung screwed me over with an Android update that effectively bricked the S3. Samsung knew it, the entire world knew it, but Samsung refused to acknowledge it. That's the main reason I went to LG.