08-20-2017 10:58 AM
262 ... 91011
tools
    Not sure when they 'fixed' the issue on the G4. Originally, there was a code on the back of the device and folks were saying that it was a mobo issue from date such and such based on the manuf code, but that turned out not to be the case. So yes, I agree that the majority of bootlooping issues with the G4 were hardware related. Multiple repairs never solved it either, and this was reported by a few sites, such as this one: LG admits G4 bootloop problem is a hardware fault, will repair affected devices - Android Authority

I know people who had multiple repairs done for bootlooping. These people do not do any modding or flashing, etc.

Earlier this summer, a colleague of mine had a G4 that was bootlooping about a month after the warranty expired. Bought his G4 just over a year ago. A friend of mine at the dog park earlier this spring had their G4 bootloop too.

I also know lots of people with S6s, S7s, Notes, iPhones, etc. Yes, once in a while someone complains about issues, but there is no other popular device from my various circles of friends and co-workers who has had devices brick as often as the G4. Not one person I know has escaped it (I work in a school, 120 staff and dozens of students each semester in a school of 1200 who talk to me about tech, and come to me for tech support). I am not writing off LG because my one specific device had an issue, but I can say that with the numerous people I have talked to with this device had a a bootloop issue that needed an RMA. That is not a myth. No other device I have encountered even comes close. A chat I had earlier this year at my carrier store about this, and the rep agreed that the G4 has a lot of issues and unhappy customers, and they don't like to promote the G4 either. Never talked about any other LG device in that chat, admittedly.

Actually, my device had an unresponsive touchscreen that took LG/my carrier 8 months to get a software fix for, and early batches of the G4 had weird marks on the screen out of the box, and the first few my carrier's salesperson opened up for me at the store when I activated the device was really irritated that so many early units had defective screens out of the box. I gave LG a break as I was clearly an early adopter in that case.

This forum will have a lot of LG fans, so its always tough to come in and give the device a hard time. Truth is, I'm just watching various forums (here and Xda typically) to see what the G6 looks like. I won't be upgrading until this winter so the V30 should be around for a while as well, and if the reliability reports are ok by then I'll most likely go with the V30.
    I should have been more specific. I meant they fixed it going forward, as in future models didn't have the issue. The G4 was a mess, I agree. But you said you talked people out of the G6 because of the G4 issues. That seems a bit harsh to me.

Also, phones are mass bricked all the time. I recall the reboot of the Droid Razr had an update rolled out that was bricking phones left and right. And not bricking, but I remember a certain phablet spontaneously combusting and causing a bit of a PR melee. Based on that, would you talk people out of buying an S8?

Point being, LG owned up to the issue (even if their attempts to literally fix it failed), and obviously won't make that mistake again. So is it responsible to tell people that have no other information to avoid LG phones?
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    08-09-2017 10:29 PM
    I should have been more specific. I meant they fixed it going forward, as in future models didn't have the issue. The G4 was a mess, I agree. But you said you talked people out of the G6 because of the G4 issues. That seems a bit harsh to me.

Also, phones are mass bricked all the time. I recall the reboot of the Droid Razr had an update rolled out that was bricking phones left and right. And not bricking, but I remember a certain phablet spontaneously combusting and causing a bit of a PR melee. Based on that, would you talk people out of buying an S8?

Point being, LG owned up to the issue (even if their attempts to literally fix it failed), and obviously won't make that mistake again. So is it responsible to tell people that have no other information to avoid LG phones?
    The G4 was a continuation of bootlooping issues though; the Nexus 5X and v10 also were prone to bootlooping issues (although the G4 was the worst of the bunch). This is something that the folks at Xda have concluded as well:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/nexus...ix-boot-phone/

A quick google search will result in reports of widespread bootlooping of various LG devices.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...otloop-issues/

The LG V10 might have the same bootloop problem as the G4 - Android Authority

The opinion I share is not just mine, but something that is known throughout the mobile phone news sites. While I agree that every manufacturer can put out a dud once in a while, and a bootloop can happen with any device that gets a bad software update (another friend and his wife both had Galaxy S6 edges bootloop within a week apart, an update suspected), it is not an overreaction to suggest that LG has (or had) a quality control issue that is worth keeping in mind before buying their devices.
    08-09-2017 11:08 PM
    Days behind here, but you're right about general consumer knowledge. You also hit the nail on the head about salespeople too. I had a friend who worked at an AT&T store for years as his full time adult job. He would try to pass bogus information about cell phones all the time (Apple phones are higher quality than Androids was one of his go to fabrications). And when I engaged in the convo and started busting out real facts, he'd back off and not want to talk anymore, saying, "I just care about selling the accessories."
    And this is why i'm glad to be a tech loving guy lolz, seing the face of clerk when i confront them about the clear bs they're spreading = priceless they never know what to answer lolz sometimes they even just leave xD
    08-10-2017 12:07 AM
    And this is why i'm glad to be a tech loving guy lolz, seing the face of clerk when i confront them about the clear bs they're spreading = priceless they never know what to answer lolz sometimes they even just leave xD
    Haha. When we bought my wife's G6, the clerk at the phone store told me that I should work there, since I knew more about the phones than she did.
    MSFTisMIA and Qc_Anubis like this.
    08-10-2017 09:25 AM
    The G4 was a continuation of bootlooping issues though; the Nexus 5X and v10 also were prone to bootlooping issues (although the G4 was the worst of the bunch). This is something that the folks at Xda have concluded as well:

A quick google search will result in reports of widespread bootlooping of various LG devices.

The opinion I share is not just mine, but something that is known throughout the mobile phone news sites. While I agree that every manufacturer can put out a dud once in a while, and a bootloop can happen with any device that gets a bad software update (another friend and his wife both had Galaxy S6 edges bootloop within a week apart, an update suspected), it is not an overreaction to suggest that LG has (or had) a quality control issue that is worth keeping in mind before buying their devices.
    And all of those models came out around the same time, so it's understandable considering it was a hardware defect.

My point is that those issues were two years ago. LG hasn't had any issues since then, but you're telling people to avoid LG anyway. That's like telling someone not to eat at a restaurant because two years ago their service sucked.
    08-10-2017 09:29 AM

The 5X was due to an update which also crippled the 6P which is not an LG
    08-10-2017 09:43 AM
    With the new mainstream design and features, we would think sales would be great. Though according to sources, they're not doing so well. What could LG do to improve, especially if they already tried to be mainstream?
    make the screen bigger next time led screen and sell the unlocked localy at bestbuy from the start here at the local tmobile stores they were removed cuz no 1 bought em they all want s8 phones
    08-18-2017 12:04 PM
    I bought a G4 - the desired international mode! - had no bootloops. It happened to a smaller percentage of people but that had enough mindshare effect where some folks see LG = bootloops. Unfortunate, really.

While I understood where you are coming from, I'd never discourage someone from buying a product unless it's got a very common defect. There's no guarantee that everyone who buys a phone will get a perfect or defective unit. For me, if people like a phone and for my feedback, I'd lay out both sides and let then choose.
    YMMV, but I personally know several people who had bootloop issues. One co-worker had two G4s that had the issue. Considering how few of the people I know have LG phones, this is a high percentage to me.

That said I have not heard of any bootloop issues with the G6 or V20.
    08-18-2017 07:06 PM
    Whether or not it was a flop in sales doesn't reflect how great of a device it is. I've had some hiccups that have probably been my own fault but this has easily been the 2nd best phone I've ever had behind my Note 4.
    08-19-2017 08:17 AM
    Features won me over. I may have seen 1 V20 commercial. Really. I'm an enthusiast so not the consumer they want but I'm the consumer they got. No other phone had the V20 features when it came out. For the same reason I'll likely never buy another LG. They've dumped the features that won me over from Samsung.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    08-19-2017 11:36 AM
    I'll likely never buy another LG. They've dumped the features that won me over from Samsung.
    In part I hear what you and many others are saying. The V30 has made some drastic changes from it's predecessors. Lots of people may really like the changes made. Myself I never bought a V line phone because I dislike the secondary display. I never use the IR blaster but I do like replaceable batteries.

As much as I like replaceable batteries, looking back I never carry a second. Replacing the battery at the end of life would be handy though. What I would consider very useful is water resistance especially in my line of work.

I would hate to see anyone swear off the whole brand because of some lost features. The G6 is a great phone, one of the best this year. I'd just urge to keep an open mind.
    08-20-2017 10:44 AM
    The ir blaster was the key feature for me. The second screen is convenient but I would prefer one screen the length of the phone. That said I abhor the 2/1 ratio screen Samsung has shoved down our throats. My TV is 16/9. Virtually every video I watch is 16/9. It won't change unless TV's do and even then it will take years. I also prefer the looks and feel of the 16/9 shape. The long skinny screen skeeves me out.
    08-20-2017 10:58 AM
262 ... 91011