LG G6 a flop? Low sales?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Marketing it more than just on Twitter and FaceBook would help....I've been in two Best Buys and was shocked to see the LG phones on a dinky endcap with a simple LG placard, a phone, and alot of LG Tones surrounding it. Really is lost this way. One BB store has the V20 next to the G6...the other store was simply the G6...turned off, and out of the line of walk traffic.

If LG marketed it with how it did all the testing, along with the camera samples and 18:9 screen....it would get some attention.

Retail stores are terrible (like Best Buy). Demo units are either not working or missing, and that hurt sales. Also, the retail associates not knowing anything about the product and also the bribing from manufactures to give out free product to sales associates... Samsung stepped up their game when they opened the Samsung stores inside Best Buy and Macy's women.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
LG needs to improve their screens no question. Their lcd's just can't compete with Samsung's and that's something the average consumer definitely notices at the store when making their decision. As much as i dislike Apple, i would take the 7 plus 1080p screen over my v20 screen any day.

The V30 is going with AMOLED. AMOLED is beautiful, however, long term, will experience some type of screen wear overtime.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I stopped at the cell booths at both Walmart and Sams Club, no G6 at either. Walmart had the LG X Venture, but everything else was Samsung and Apple. Very annoying. Basically, those two companies pay for the store to promote their product over the others. Big shake down if you ask me, and forces the little guys to stay the little guys.

The only places you'll see working G6 and V20 demo units are carrier stores. The big box stores are likely to not have it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I kinda feel like Carphone Warehouse should exist in the US and other countries outside of UK and Europe. Even though they have like 2,400 stores, it seems like they have the formula for success.

They focus on the hardware (device and accessories) first and then the services second.

Carrier retail stores here focus on services first and devices second. (But that is what is important to them.)
Walk into any carrier store and Apple and Samsung marketing dominate the floor.

Imagine if a retail store existed that allowed each manufacturer the same amount of advertising/display space?
Customers could walk around and experience a more equal representation of each manufacturer and device.

It reminds me of 8th grade science fairs. You have a 6 x 6 booth to display whatever project you like.

I agree with most statements in this discussion about how marketing sandbagged G6 sales. I wonder how different it would be if LG was allowed to have a larger display area in stores and aired some commercials.

Not enough cash. G5 had poor sales, and they suffered a lot with the previous bootloop defects with G4/V10. They are still far behind. Their Instagram and Facebook page is pretty nice though. They are making most of their money selling mid range and low end phones like the LG K series and LG Stylo 2. Most people that are familiar with LG phones are probably MetroPCS customers.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The only places you'll see working G6 and V20 demo units are carrier stores. The big box stores are likely to not have it.

Agreed. I never seen the V20 at Best Buy even at release. Just recently I found it at a Best Buy about 45 minutes from my house and I'm really digging it.

Even though I really like it, my inner self won't allow me to buy it when the V30 is so close. I need the latest and greatest phone lol

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
The G6 seems to not even be available at Best Buy stores near me. If I search on their website it says "Not on Display" and only gives me option to buy and have it shipped. This is why their sales would be low.

I am watching Swappa intently for a good deal on a new black model and when I find one, I'll probably pull the trigger to at least say I tried it. :)

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
LG needs to improve their screens no question. Their lcd's just can't compete with Samsung's and that's something the average consumer definitely notices at the store when making their decision. As much as i dislike Apple, i would take the 7 plus 1080p screen over my v20 screen any day.
The G6 screen is an improvement over the v20 screen.. The difference was immediately noticeable to me

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
With the new mainstream design and features, we would think sales would be great. Though according to sources, they're not doing so well. What could LG do to improve, especially if they already tried to be mainstream?
Quit being cheap and release the Asian G6 in NA.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd say it's 50% marketing...but also 50% gimmickry.
Samsung is way ahead on both, but that doesn't make for a better device...just for better sales. They understand that people are attracted to shiny new toys, so just making a plain-looking rectangle isn't enough. People see the fancy curves, the colorful advertisements, the big displays in the stores...and they are like moths to a flame.

I admit, the S8 is great looking. It LOOKS nicer than the G6. But when I thought about how I use my phone, about how I would have to protect that curved screen and how problematic just that one aspect would be...I leaned towards the G6. Then there was the price. Man, I just can't justify spending that much on the S8. I'm quite happy with my decision.
The 835 is not a gimmick, it has better performance and delivers outstanding battery life. Also the Samsung has 2X the memory. You don't need a sales person to point out the difference, you can see the difference on the kiosk display.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The 835 is not a gimmick, it has better performance and delivers outstanding battery life. Also the Samsung has 2X the memory. You don't need a sales person to point out the difference, you can see the difference on the kiosk display.

It would be interesting to see a G6 with a 835 that could be compared side by side with the 821 because the current iteration is smooth. I'd guess better battery performance which is already stellar.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It would be interesting to see a G6 with a 835 that could be compared side by side with the 821 because the current iteration is smooth. I'd guess better battery performance which is already stellar.
The G6 with the 821 is as smooth as the S8 with the 835.. Or so I've heard in just about every single comparison.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The 835 is much more efficient and also supports QC 4.0.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
The G6 with the 821 is as smooth as the S8 with the 835.. Or so I've heard in just about every single comparison.
Before I gave my G6 up, I saw no difference in day to day use between the 2 in terms of smoothness. I did have some stuttering issues on the 8+ I had but not on the 8. The G6 ran extremely well all the time.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Before I gave my G6 up, I saw no difference in day to day use between the 2 in terms of smoothness. I did have some stuttering issues on the 8+ I had but not on the 8. The G6 ran extremely well all the time.

Touch Wiz and all the Samsung services such as Bixby, Samsung health, and just overall the Samsung UI slows down the phone a little bit.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It's something that nearly every reviewer and comparison video mentioned.. But I'm glad if most people aren't really seeing the Samsung lag..

All I know is my G6 is amazingly smooth.. And I love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz