Any regrets choosing the G6 over the S8?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Anyone regret going to the lg G6 over the Samsung S8 series

Both phones have their downfalls. S8 has annoying FPS placement and Bixby button, difficult to install screen protectors, and sluggish OS. G6 camera and display isn't on par with the S8, lower specs for a 2017 flagship. I would probably pick the G6 only because of the fact that I can install screen protectors.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Both phones have their downfalls. S8 has annoying FPS placement and Bixby button, difficult to install screen protectors, and sluggish OS. G6 camera and display isn't on par with the S8, lower specs for a 2017 flagship. I would probably pick the G6 only because of the fact that I can install screen protectors.
The OS is not sluggish at all. I had the Google Pixel and my S8+ is on par in terms of speed. It has handled everything I have thrown at it with flying colors.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The only reason I see for them is for aesthetics when viewing the device while its not in use. The edges on the 8 dont skew things like the s7 edge did and Im glad they toned the curve down alot, however, they dont serve a bit of purpose imo.

To date, Ive havent found anyone able to give me a reason for them, aside from aesthetics, that couldnt be achieved with a flat screen and I doubt I ever will.

That's because there doesn't need to be a reason. You either like the look and visual effect they give or you don't.

It's like asking the benefit of a red couch over a blue one. The answer...choice.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
That's because there doesn't need to be a reason. You either like the look and visual effect they give or you don't.

It's like asking the benefit of a red couch over a blue one. The answer...choice.
Except the color of a couch doesn't affect its functionality. A more relatable comparison would be a couch without armrests. It may look interesting but it doesn't add any practicality or benefit.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Except the color of a couch doesn't affect its functionality. A more relatable comparison would be a couch without armrests. It may look interesting but it doesn't add any practicality or benefit.

But it absolutely does, to the person who chooses it. I love the way words and images bleed off the edges of the screen. That absolutely is a benefit to me.

Just because you don't, doesn't take away the benefit for others.

As for practicality, aesthetic choices don't need it, hence my blue couch reference.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
But it absolutely does, to the person who chooses it. I love the way words and images bleed off the edges of the screen. That absolutely is a benefit to me.

So it adds a visual aesthetic. It doesn't add any function. Aesthetics, as I said, is the only "value" of it. There's no functionality benefit.

I get that some like looking at it, in fact most of us do. That being said, once you're done looking at it you have to deal with the drawbacks of it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
So it adds a visual aesthetic. It doesn't add any function. Aesthetics, as I said, is the only "value" of it. There's no functionality benefit.

I get that some like looking at it, in fact most of us do. That being said, once you're done looking at it you have to deal with the drawbacks of it.

See, and That's the real issue. You see drawbacks, so you expect that everyone else will. Curved screens have their detractors, and they're usually the loudest ones in the forums. But that still doesn't make it anything other than an opinion and personal style choice.

I see very few drawbacks to Samsung's curved design, beyond being able to find a screen protector, which I don't use anyway. Other than that I appreciate the benefits over any drawbacks. I also appreciate an alternative over flat screens, which every other phone maker is already doing.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
See, and That's the real issue. You see drawbacks, so you expect that everyone else will. Curved screens have their detractors, and they're usually the loudest ones in the forums. But that still doesn't make it anything other than an opinion.

I see very few drawbacks to Samsung's curved design, beyond being able to find a screen protector, which I don't use anyway. Other than that I appreciate the benefits over any drawbacks. I also appreciate an alternative over flat screens, which every other phone maker is already doing.
I get the options part and agree but there are factual drawbacks to a curved screen and only opinion based benefits such as aesthetics. They cause the phone to be substantial more fragile and make protecting it nearly impossible which forces you to either buy insurance or be willing to pay heavily to repair the damage.

What I'm looking for is an actual factual benefit of the curve or functionality advantage that can't be done on a more durable and easy to protect flat screen. I guess you could say the bezels can be a mm smaller on curved screens so maybe that's one benefit.

Keep in mind, I'm typing this on an S8 so it's not like I hate the phone.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I get the options part and agree but there are factual drawbacks to a curved screen and only opinion based benefits such as aesthetics. They cause the phone to be substantial more fragile and make using protecting it nearly impossible which forces you to either buy insurance or be willing to pay heavily to repair the damage.

What I'm looking for is an actual factual benefit of the curve or functionality advantage that can't be done on a more durable and easy to protect flat screen. I guess you could say the bezels can be a mm smaller on curved screens so maybe that's one benefit.

Keep in mind, I'm typing this on an S8 so it's not like I hate the phone.

You'll be looking forever. As I've always admitted, curved screens are an aesthetic choice. Nothing more, nothing less. But there IS a benefit for those who like this design.

Think of it like food. You may asked me why I put cheese on my eggs, when salt and pepper work perfectly fine. I'll tell you I like the taste, and we never talk about it again.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I was actually at Best Buy today and like always I checked every phone in there lol

The S8 is surprisingly light and the curved edges make it feel so nice in hand.

With that said, as soon as I turn the device on I despise the curve. I can't use/hold the phone without accidentally pressing things. It feels like it's taking away from my screen size and there send to be slight distortion...

Again this is my take and I'm not speaking for everyone. If the S8 came in both a edge and flat display I really would have considered the flat this year

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
You'll be looking forever. As I've always admitted, curved screens are an aesthetic choice. Nothing more, nothing less. But there IS a benefit for those who like this design.

Think of it like food. You may asked me why I put cheese on my eggs, when salt and pepper work perfectly fine. I'll tell you I like the taste, and we never talk about it again.
Lol, thats because I like cheese on everything.

The s8 did a much better job with the curves than the s7 edge did which is why I don't mind it. The S7 edge curves were a headache with accidental touches. I haven't had that issue with the 8 so they did a better job there. The screen also seems to be really durable so not having a screen protector has been actually refreshing.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Lol, thats because I like cheese on everything.

The s8 did a much better job with the curves than the s7 edge did which is why I don't mind it. The S7 edge curves were a headache with accidental touches. I haven't had that issue with the 8 so they did a better job there. The screen also seems to be really durable so not having a screen protector has been actually refreshing.

lol...i eat cheese on everything as well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

As for practicality, aesthetic choices don't need it, hence my blue couch reference.

Blue couches are so 90ish

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Guys simple buy what u like..its not that other product is inferior...just like we choose our cars...as i said earlier last year s7 edge won we over G5 and this year G6 won me ovet S8...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Guys simple buy what u like..its not that other product is inferior...just like we choose our cars...as i said earlier last year s7 edge won we over G5 and this year G6 won me ovet S8...

Exactly.... Too many find it necessary to trash what they don't buy or what they feel is a must have feature should be a must have feature for everyone. It doesn't work that way and those that can't grasp that concept should just move on.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Guess i'm a rebel here since i kinda do miss my s8+,not for the edges though they were nice but impractical on a phone imho,i miss my 6.2 inches screen ! yes most videos were cropped but i didn't mind since i watch tv shows and they scaled great =/ bummer lg went with a small devices at that aspect ratio but overall still plenty satisfied with what lg did here.

Not much difference with the 835 performance wise though.... Good battery life (better standby than my s8+)

Last edited:

Gunnyman

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Those who have used both, how much difference is there between the 821 and 835?
I had a U11 and sent it back because VZW issues. I'm wanting to replace my S7edge.